Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
mijones

residential fridges

We are looking at the Montana High Country 353rl. It comes with a reidential SAMSUNG fridge. Just wanted to hear if any problems with these.
thanks
Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
We are looking at the Montana High Country 353rl. It comes with a reidential SAMSUNG fridge. Just wanted to hear if any problems with these.
thanks
My wife and me have one and love it. If you are planning to boondock or if plan to spend nights while traveling in Wal-Mart parking lots it probably want one that will on propane/elec. I always make make sure I have a spot at my destination but does worry me when we have to do overnight while traveling to it and finding a opening in a camp site. We have travel up to 12 hours and it was still below 38 in the top and freezer was still below 28 degrees. We have even made ice in the ice maker going down the road lol
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Pull Toy

As mentioned by CWSWine, it depends on your camping plans.

If you plan on extended stays, or seasonal site, it will work for you, with better cooling, and more storage space, but only when on 110v a/c shore power.

If you boondock, or even "overnight" with no a/c power source, or travel a long distance to your destination, a camper type 120/lp gas combo is probably a better option. A compromise would be to think of your "Residential" as an Icebox. Stuff it with Frozen Food, and Ice... and don't open it unless you are starving! Once you plug back in... your golden till you unplug.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Some newer brands have a dedicated inverter with an automatic transfer switch. If the model your looking at has a dedicated inverter, then think about the battery situation. I've seen a pair of GP 27's most common. Solar would surely help in this situation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
mijones

thanks to all for some good advise appreciate it
Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Some newer brands have a dedicated inverter with an automatic transfer switch. If the model your looking at has a dedicated inverter, then think about the battery situation. I've seen a pair of GP 27's most common. Solar would surely help in this situation.
Generally, what kind of run time would you expect with inverter but no solar?
24-48 hours?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
24-48 hours?
More like 18 to 20 hours if you don't open the door.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

24-48 hours?

I have no idea. I suppose with the correct figures (amp draw, amp hours available, etc.) one could do the math. I don't have that type of refer, so I have no interest in finding out. My only interaction with them is making sure the refer works on inverter power.

My personal opinion- household refers don't belong in RV's. Special provisions have to be made to insure the doors stay closed during travel. Then you have to have a way to prop them open for storage. Some brands that have a water filter will reset the filter life each time the power is shut off, so you don't really know how long the filter has been in use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
gearhead

Yeah, I agree. We had a lot of trouble with the Dometic at first, but all seems well now.
Of course, every Kenmore refrigerator/freezer we own has had major issues by 5 years of age. They just don't make em like they used to.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #10
Bob Landry

If my gas/absorp fridge ever croaks, I'll replace it with an AC/DC version. They run equally well on 12V or shore power and all now use the Danfoss compressors which are very reliable.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:45 AM   #11
Dave W

We have two Samsung major appliances in our S&B - a fridge and a front load washer. I will not voluntarily own another. Both have needed service calls. Both times the tech that was sent was an independent guy and each have said the Samsung line is problematical with the only the LG line being worse with poor parts and customer support. This was also stated when we bought the new, non Samsung range for the S&B by the dealer. Our 343RL has a 1200 series Norcold which many have had problems with boiler tube failures - but so far ours is doing just fine though I do have an ARPrv* over temp device on it now.

*https://www.arprv.com/

I'll repeat what others have said about boondocking and a res fridge - you really can't easily without a genset, big batteries and/or a solar array all of which all of which get expensive. If you put your 5er in a seasonal - that Samsung may be just fine if you can handle the rattling compressor noise and ice cubes clattering every dump.

Disclaimer - the above is my opinion based on some less then great product experiences and discussions
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote