Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #1
Ricpin

Lippert level up

I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD and pull a 2014 Alpine 3555RL with a Lippert six point level up system. I'm having a problem with the front jacks dragging when I go up a steep incline. When I hook up to the truck the truck drops about 2.5 inches. Did anyone have this problem and what did you do? Will air bags help? And if so what kind.
Ricpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
rbev2308

I have never had my front landing gears drag going up an incline and with your truck, it should not sag that much. I would confirm with Lippert the height from ground zero they should retract to and ensure that it is being met. I do have issues leaving my driveway as I have crush n run as I did not extend the apron so I go over the curb and its close. Airbags will help. My airbags inflated to make camper level, increase the jacks approx 1.5 inches. How high does your hitch sit in your bed, can you adjust that. Just never have heard of this happening while driving on a flat surface whether incline or decline. The fact truck drops 2.5 in would be reason for airbags for me. Just cause your springs drop, does not mean the jacks have dropped the same in proportion.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
rbev2308

Sorry...I put Firestone Ride Rites on my truck. $375 cost off Amazon and $250 for local trailer shop to install. Many RV dealers will charge 4 hours at usually $100+ per hour to install around here and mark up the airbags. Your dealer that sold you the camper if you went that route, may give you a little better deal. You can install on your own if you are mechanically inclined...they are a pain though...forget any airbag with onboard compressor in my opinion. They tend to double the cost of the airbag system and add labor to the install for something you only need while towing the camper and much cheaper option exists like putting air in yourself!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
cajunjohn

Air Bags

I bought a 2015 Alpine last year and had to put airbags on the rear axle of my 2010 F-350 in order to level up the truck and RV.

2015 Alpine 3011RE
cajunjohn
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
takpak

Exclamation Level up dragging

Ricpin, I have the identical truck that you do....maybe. I have the GMC K3500. You didn't say if yours was a four wheel drive or not, mine is. I tow a 2014 Montana 3725 with a heavy pin weight, almost 3500 pounds. The truck drops about 3 inches when I lower the pin on. As yet, I have not dragged the front landing gear. Come close a few times, but I take it easy and don't "jounce" anything while going over one of those hazards. All the jack housings on the Level Up are adjustable on the frame. But if you adjust it up, you may have to use some blocks under it in the future. And you can only adjust it so far. Regarding air bags, I know a lot of people swear by them. However, a fellow who runs a spring and suspension shop that has been in business for about 100 years (his father before him) said he would NEVER put air bags, etc., on a suspension that wasn't designed from the factory for it. He said it puts a lot of stress in a single point, that could cause problems in the future. His suggestion was to add an extra spring to the rear. This would have been for my older truck, but I bought the 2015 and it has a lot more suspension under it than the old one, a 2008 GMC K3500.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
Ricpin

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry I haven't been on very often a little busy. I think I'm going to add air bags to the truck. Looking at the truck and 5er together they look level. Like I said before the truck drops about 2.5 inches. So I'm hoping air bags will work. Can install them myself?
Ricpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricpin View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry I haven't been on very often a little busy. I think I'm going to add air bags to the truck. Looking at the truck and 5er together they look level. Like I said before the truck drops about 2.5 inches. So I'm hoping air bags will work. Can install them myself?

Yes you can install them yourself with just some hand tools. I had Air Lift bags on my last Chevy and they worked great. On the new Ram I bought them again and did the install. My new DRW also sinks 3" when I hook up my Fuzion. Nice to get it level again and get it off the overloads.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
bobbecky

Something that is much easier to install is a set of Timbrens. Installed them on our truck and the ride is unchanged when not towing, but the truck barely sags when hitched up. No compressor needed. I think I only paid about $200 for them, took less than 45 minutes to install.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
Barbell

On the second set of air bags on my old truck. Put on the first when we got the big Lance; it weighs around 3400# dry. I don't put in as much air with the 5th wheel as I did with the Lance because pin weight is little more than half that. There is almost no squat with 50-60# of air in the bags. Ran 80-90# with the Lance. Well worth the money IMO. My last set came from CW for around $450.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
gearhead

What kind of hitch do you have? Can you adjust it for height? You're saying the 5th is level and the legs drag? How much road clearance do you have under the feet? Do you have the legs all the way up with no holes showing?
Something just don't sound right.
Have you weighed it and calculated how much pin weight you're putting on the truck?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Whitewolf

X2 on what BobBecky said. Got 'em, love 'em. Wouldn't have a truck without 'em.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote