Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
nauticstar21

Tv/cable splitter

Hello everyone. After 3 years of looking we are the proud owners of a new Alpine 3651RL. I have spent many hours reading through posts on here before we bought. There is a lot of good info on here.

Now to one of our problems. We did a pretty thorough inspection when we picked up our new Alpine. Since this was our first big camper I took along my niece and her husband for the inspection. They have owned many campers and I wanted them to be there in case I missed something. During the inspection both the main tv and the bedroom tv picked up stations over the antenna. We didn’t check the cable side of it. On our first time out I couldn’t get the main tv to pick up anything. I’m guessing that a coax has come loose somewhere. I have been trying to find the splitter or switch for the antenna and cable connections but can’t find it. Would it normally be somewhere that it can be accessed? If so, where might that be? I will be taking it back to the dealer for some slide seal issues and will have them figure it out if I can’t find it.

Thanks in advance.
nauticstar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
MattE303

Normally you use the same coax connections for antenna and cable, but you turn the antenna booster switch on for antenna reception, off when you're connected to cable service.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
DOWva

No doubt it is the antenna booster found somewhere on the antenna outlet in the bedroom or the living room area. Look for a very small button once pushed in you will see a small light come on.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
nauticstar21

When I was using the Antenna I had the booster on. When I was trying to use cable I turned the booster off. The booster is located behind the bedroom tv. Behind the main tv there are 3 coax connections and 2 behind the bedroom tv. I have a coax tracer that I used to trace out the sat hookup and it goes to one of the ones behind the main tv. It doesn’t go to the bedroom. I can’t get any of them to trace out when hooked up to the cable jack.

At our campsite the cable didn’t work at our site so that didn’t help much trying to figure this out.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
BamaRam

On my Hideout the splitter is behind the booster. Take the two screws out of the face plate with the green light. It's probably in there you have to dig it out.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If you take the booster off the wall there will be a number of coax connections. They will be labeled, usually with molded printing.

One will be antenna, one will be cable and then maybe one that says TV2. You should be able to trace the “Cable in” from the outside, directly to the booster. From the booster you should be able to trace from TV2 to the other TV. IF there is a splitter for another TV it will be in the coax from TV2 to another TV. Common for it to be right behind the booster plate.

Hope this helps you chase stuff down. We don’t sell alpine, so I don’t know if they use different color sheath for easy identification.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Did you do a scan for the channels too?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:14 AM   #8
nauticstar21

Yes I did a scan for channels.

I will pull the booster out of the ceiling see what I can find.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #9
jsmith948

Are there two co-ax connections behind the t.v.?
If there are - try switching the t.v. connection to the other port - worked on our Laredo.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
nauticstar21

There are 3 connections behind the main tv. The main tv worked on the antenna when we did our walk through at the dealer. The first time we took it out the main tv wouldn’t pick up any channels. The bedroom tv picked up 8. The coax for the main tv was still hooked up to the original jack just like it was during our walk through.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #11
nauticstar21

This weekend I am going to hook up the cable for our house and see what happens. I know it works and with the receiver it should work in the camper. That still won’t solve the antenna reception on the main tv.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
chasefamily

I am joining late to this discussion (hoping this is helpful) but I have/had a similar TV problem in by 2018 Montana HC 305RL. I have great reception from the antenna with booster, but trash from the cable connection in the convenience bay. So did some research and investigation and found some diagrams on this Google search "2018 montana high country coax cable diagrams"

This was a starting point and from there I found the wiring diagrams useful but not accurate. I also found that others have complained about loose or bad Coax connectors. So with this information I purchased a cable tester and coax termination kit and found at least 2 (so far) bad connectors and when replaced the pictures got better. I still need to test all the cables and hopefully that will correct the problems.

On a another note, if you pull off the covers on the cable/sat connectors? See if you find that both ports are really a bridge to a single cable. If so, this all goes back to a multi-port ANT/SAT bridge. Mine is located behind a panel in the basement. The first thing found was all the connections were loose and only finger tight.
chasefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
nauticstar21

Well I hooked up the cable from the house and that worked great. Then I thought I would try one more time to see if the main tv would pick up channels over the antenna. I did the same thing I had done before (booster on, TV set to antenna, scan for channels) and this time it picks up some channels. Not exactly sure what changed but it all seemed to work.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #14
Phdruss

I know you said you did a scan, but did you also change the settings from antenna to cable, then scan?? Assuming you did, but just double checking??
Phdruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #15
Tboudro

Cable

Need to check if the right cable are hooked to the right positions on thaT THREE way spliters, I had to ohm them out separately with a meter to determine which one goes where and then hook to proper position.

Would do this to all connection, including if there is one for a tv under canopy.
Tboudro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #16
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticstar21 View Post
Hello everyone. After 3 years of looking we are the proud owners of a new Alpine 3651RL. I have spent many hours reading through posts on here before we bought. There is a lot of good info on here.

Now to one of our problems. We did a pretty thorough inspection when we picked up our new Alpine. Since this was our first big camper I took along my niece and her husband for the inspection. They have owned many campers and I wanted them to be there in case I missed something. During the inspection both the main tv and the bedroom tv picked up stations over the antenna. We didn’t check the cable side of it. On our first time out I couldn’t get the main tv to pick up anything. I’m guessing that a coax has come loose somewhere. I have been trying to find the splitter or switch for the antenna and cable connections but can’t find it. Would it normally be somewhere that it can be accessed? If so, where might that be? I will be taking it back to the dealer for some slide seal issues and will have them figure it out if I can’t find it.

Thanks in advance.
if u are using antenna, you must also put it up, unless u have one of the digital antennas.. AND then turn it. i have the old batwing on my 2013 Apline 3720FB.

as we were Directv customers, I wanted to setup for that service on the road, so here is what I did (and discovered)..

the antenna/cable is split at the booster.

the sat wire goes directly to the main tv, and one of the other connectors runs a wire BACK to the bedroom tv.

i wanted an outdoor TV from the main side bay, so I added a DTV splitter behind the main wall.

the DTV SWM power inserter was plugged in at the main tv to power the antenna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	satsetup.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	17215  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
BadmanRick

Depends on the brand of TV as to how strong the channel tuner is. You may get several channels at home but sometimes None on the road. The onboard tv booster is at a fixed rate like 10db. This could limit haw Manny channels the tuner will pickup. I installed an adjustable Winegard RFL-342 SensarPro White or Black TV Signal Strength Meter. This helps a great deal. What antenna do you have on the roof?
I have the Winegard Bat wing and the Sensar pro is also the booster for this antenna. I have been in areas where there was marginal signal at 10db and kicked it up to 20db and it pulled in the channels great. I like this because you can find which channel has the best signal and adjust accordingly.
Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
GlennB724

I have a 2017 Alpine 3401 RS. same set up and same problems. one of the things I read was to connect the two coax outlets that are on one wall plate behind living room TV, with a small "jumper" (this has something to do with satellite pre wiring or something ???) I did this and still have a degraded picture on the living room tv. I had it "fixed" by dealer under warranty in off season. He claimed to have spent a whole day tracing and then finally fishing a new wire to the living room tv from the source (near bed room tv). B.S. --- jut got back from using it first time this season... it's still the same.... (I guess they billed Keystone for the work... but it accomplished nothing.) And of course it's now out of warranty. If you've seen the wiring and plumbing behind the walls and under the floor... (I have -- another long story)... you'll realize that the wires, (and plumbing) could be anywhere and everywhere. My project will be to do the "rewiring" that the dealer claims to have done.. myself.. then I'll know it's done. OH.. BY THE WAY.. speaking of PLUMBING... I found the water line that goes to the refrigerator ice maker is behind the OVEN. After heating the rolls to go with my delicious steak, I came back into the trailer to find a FLOOD. The 1/4 inch plastic tube was LAYING AGAINST THE BACK OF THE OVEN.... needless to say, the 400 degree oven temp melted the plastic. Waste of a whole night of clean-up... tracing problem... fixing problem... putting my (near new but out of warranty) camper back together. Not to mention the waste of a good steak! This is JUST ONE of my MANY tales of LACK of quality construction or quality control by this company. (sorry for the rant, but fore warned is fore armed.)
GlennB724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdruss View Post
I know you said you did a scan, but did you also change the settings from antenna to cable, then scan?? Assuming you did, but just double checking??
And you have the booster off before you do the scan too.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:32 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

I know you know that the antenna should be pointed at the signals to be picked up... most antennas are directional. I have an app on my phone that gives me TV tower direction and distance and I use it to set my antenna to pick up the majority. The app on the phone is called NoCable and also gives you a tv guide type listing for the channels.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable