Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
mets721

Reese Sidewinder

Anyone using a Reese Sidewinder? Just wondering if they really do help the fifth wheels turn tighter/quicker. Coming from a TT, there really is a difference in how much more time it takes for a 5'er to respond to steering input. I also have a 6 3/4 bed so I like the idea of not having to worry about window contact. They seem pretty simple to install on your own. If anyone has, I'd be interested in hearing how it went and any advice.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets721 View Post
Anyone using a Reese Sidewinder? Just wondering if they really do help the fifth wheels turn tighter/quicker. Coming from a TT, there really is a difference in how much more time it takes for a 5'er to respond to steering input. I also have a 6 3/4 bed so I like the idea of not having to worry about window contact. They seem pretty simple to install on your own. If anyone has, I'd be interested in hearing how it went and any advice.
I have the Reese 15K slider. Never used it,,, should have once.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I've installed a couple. Simple, and since it has a capture plate the pivot point is moved back.

I don't think it makes the trailer react any sooner, like I said it just moves the pivot point back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
papi

I just have a pull rite super glide and it wors great.
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets721 View Post
I used one for most of 3 years when I had a 1/2 ton with short bed. Not that I wanted to, but could go 90 degrees if needed without contact with the cab. I couldn't 'afford' the weight penalty of the PullRite SuperGlide, the Reese Sidewinder served me well. Now with the long bed, I simply pinned the Sidewinder and it behaves like a conventional hitch. Money well spent.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:14 AM   #6
tech740

I have a sidewinder and tow with a 5.5 foot box. Works great not sure if speeds up reaction or not but I can turn 90˚ with no issues. I like it also because it's low maintenance. I use very, very little grease to aid in hitching and it has a contained lube plate at the pivot point that can be serviced if needed. I had it installed when I bought the hitch and trailer so I can't comment on that. Looks simple though. Happy camping

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

I talked with the dealer about this. Sure if you are a bad driver or inexperienced or.... It will allow you to get to near 90. But I managed with a 38' TT for years without problem. And you can prob get to about 50 degree with a TT. The shaved fronts on new fivers make them short bed towable up to like 80+ degrees with no slider. So I can't really see any reason for the xtra cost and equipment. You can still hit your TV with the sidewinder at some point. No cure for bad driving. I don't even understand how people are getting thes rigs into situations that require 90 degree maneuvering, maybe a crazy u turn. But I would rather just go around the block. Or have the DW back me up. I drive defensively and get out and look before I pull into a blind trap. Save the $1000 on the sidewinder.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
tech740

I agree that a 6.5 foot box really doesn't need one. With a 5.5 foot box it is pretty much required. Not bad driving just added ability for peace of mind. It's one less thing to have to watch as long as the trailer is behind you.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

What 336 says about "driving experience" rings true !!! We "never" (at least I can't remember) a time when a travel trailer owner has posted about his "bent A-frame" or "twisted tongue", and we all know how much less "backing angle" you can get with a travel trailer. Most can't get to 45 or 50 degrees before contacting the tow vehicle with the trailer or the A-frame.

I am of the opinion that "fifth wheel owners" (for the most part) think they should be able to do what a "18 wheeler" can do. So they buy "gadgets" to try to get that much "backing angle". Honestly, imagine what is happening to the tread on the tires as they "scoot sideways" on pavement or on most any solid surface. I wonder how many of the complaints we get about "cheap Chinese tires" and "blowouts" can be traced back to "trying to back into a space without "jockeying" but rather "using a "hitch extender" or "sliding hitch" to "do it like the big boys", and destroying our tires in the process??? Many don't want to even "think about making it easier on the equipment", they just "back it in" and "push the auto-level". For them, I suppose a sliding hitch "hits the spot quite well".... Hmmmmm.

Think of all the "discussions on other forums" about throwing sand under the tires so they "slide easier" and "wetting down the pavement" so the tires don't grip so much" when backing at "excessive angles"... How many of us have a bag of "play sand" and a bucket for carrying water sitting beside our sliding hitch??? Hmmmmm...........

I've towed a "flat front" 2011 Springdale fifth wheel with a 6.5' F150, and now my current Cougar (with the "cut out corners") with both an 8' and now a 6.75' bed. Other than one time when the Springdale was new and I wanted to check for how much clearance I had, I've never tried to "get to 90* with my rig (I don't want to abuse my tires that way), and honestly, I've never been in any kind of situation where I thought I had to resort to even trying, and I've been to some pretty cramped camping sites where it takes some thought, jockeying and careful backing to get into a site.

For anyone who thinks they need the "insurance", I'd say go for it, but in reality, trying to "square park" a trailer is abusing it mechanically. The axles, spindles, bearings and tires that are installed are "the bare minimum" when it comes to weight bearing capacity. They just aren't designed to "do what the big boy's rigs" can do. Getting into a situation where you've got "no alternatives" is "blindly towing into trouble".

"Back in the days" when fifth wheel RV's had a pin positioned "under the front overhang, sliding hitches were a necessity and even people towing with an 8' bed had to be "careful not to hit the cab". With the advent of extended pin boxes on almost every fifth wheel and curved front caps, there's really no "necessity for" a sliding hitch, but the hitch manufacturers keep "advertising" to keep "selling".....

Just my opinion, others may (and probably do) have some "much different ideas".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
cant_remember_ID

JRTJH, you raise some good points. Much like nearly any other industry with something to sell, sliders may be a solution looking for a problem. When we first got our fifth wheel, we tried to shoehorn it in the same storage place we had our smaller travel trailer. I did make contact with the cab and now have a little dent that taught me a lesson. I had it cranked really tight, and I still couldn't get it in the spot. I learned that if I ever get too a spot that tight again, move along, it isn't worth the aggrevation and wear and tear on the equipment to get it parked.

I'm not convinced sliders are necessary with today's setups.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
carwheel_09

Reese Sidewinder

I used a sidewinder on another brand 5er and ended up with a front frame problem. The dealer I bought the rig from installed it and no longer will put one on something they sell. Said they from time to time they have units with frame flex and the sidewinder seem to up the count.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
dfb
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What 336 says about "driving experience" rings true !!! We "never" (at least I can't remember) a time when a travel trailer owner has posted about his "bent A-frame" or "twisted tongue", and we all know how much less "backing angle" you can get with a travel trailer. Most can't get to 45 or 50 degrees before contacting the tow vehicle with the trailer or the A-frame.

I am of the opinion that "fifth wheel owners" (for the most part) think they should be able to do what a "18 wheeler" can do. So they buy "gadgets" to try to get that much "backing angle". Honestly, imagine what is happening to the tread on the tires as they "scoot sideways" on pavement or on most any solid surface. I wonder how many of the complaints we get about "cheap Chinese tires" and "blowouts" can be traced back to "trying to back into a space without "jockeying" but rather "using a "hitch extender" or "sliding hitch" to "do it like the big boys", and destroying our tires in the process??? Many don't want to even "think about making it easier on the equipment", they just "back it in" and "push the auto-level". For them, I suppose a sliding hitch "hits the spot quite well".... Hmmmmm.

Think of all the "discussions on other forums" about throwing sand under the tires so they "slide easier" and "wetting down the pavement" so the tires don't grip so much" when backing at "excessive angles"... How many of us have a bag of "play sand" and a bucket for carrying water sitting beside our sliding hitch??? Hmmmmm...........

I've towed a "flat front" 2011 Springdale fifth wheel with a 6.5' F150, and now my current Cougar (with the "cut out corners") with both an 8' and now a 6.75' bed. Other than one time when the Springdale was new and I wanted to check for how much clearance I had, I've never tried to "get to 90* with my rig (I don't want to abuse my tires that way), and honestly, I've never been in any kind of situation where I thought I had to resort to even trying, and I've been to some pretty cramped camping sites where it takes some thought, jockeying and careful backing to get into a site.

For anyone who thinks they need the "insurance", I'd say go for it, but in reality, trying to "square park" a trailer is abusing it mechanically. The axles, spindles, bearings and tires that are installed are "the bare minimum" when it comes to weight bearing capacity. They just aren't designed to "do what the big boy's rigs" can do. Getting into a situation where you've got "no alternatives" is "blindly towing into trouble".

"Back in the days" when fifth wheel RV's had a pin positioned "under the front overhang, sliding hitches were a necessity and even people towing with an 8' bed had to be "careful not to hit the cab". With the advent of extended pin boxes on almost every fifth wheel and curved front caps, there's really no "necessity for" a sliding hitch, but the hitch manufacturers keep "advertising" to keep "selling".....

Just my opinion, others may (and probably do) have some "much different ideas".....
I have been pulling 5th wheels for 24 years. I have NEVER had any blow outs till I bought the Goodyear marathons made in China. Never. Is it because I was backing differently? Or tires made in China... I did not have just one blow out but all 4 blew out... This was on a single trip x country.. Not bashing any manufacture. Just giviving my experiences...
Regarding hitches... I do have a SHORTBED and used the Andersen. Cab and trailer made contact. I did get a refund on the Andersen and installed a superglide... Hopefully this will solve any clearance issues. The truck is a 2015 ram megacab. Fifth wheel is a 2015 Montana with round corners. This happened backing into my driveway. Wife was watching rear of trailer. I guess I did do a complete 90 as damage to cap was on the side....us fifth wheel owners do not buy gadgets to do what 18 wheelers do. Example. We buy a sliding hitch for a SHORTBED truck as to not hit the cab and rear window do to lack of turning clearances.. The ram has only a 6.3 bed....oh, btw,,,, I think you'll be glad to hear we believe we have most of the bigs worked out of our Montana. It was just frustrating having to drive it 60 miles for repairs and a body shop not touching the Montana for 3 months...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
pawpaw

We have the Sidewinder on our Fuzion 371 to gain a little more clearance with the 6 3/4 bed. Tapped the rear corner of the cab once when turning going up an incline... with the Sidewinder no more problems.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:22 AM   #14
SkiSmuggs

I used one for the 3 seasons I towed with my F150 short bed. Upgraded to a MorRyde after I got the F350 with a 14" longer bed.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #15
MBD

I got one - love it! They also make a sidewinder with air-ride cushion, check that out too. While I couldn't tell you about 40, 60, 80 and 90 degree turns (whether I make them or not I don't know), I will let you know that my 5th wheel turns more like a bumper pull because of the pivot point being moved rearward. This is a good thing for me because I regularly pull other trailers (boats, utility/flatbeds) attached to my receiver hitch.

I installed mine myself. That rascal is really heavy. Being a little older and having some back issues, I was really worried about how I would lift it into place and hold it while I installed the bolts. Keep in mind that I couldn't find any volunteers that had more brawn than brains (or any volunteer at all) and my wife struggles with a case of water at the grocery. After a minute of thinking about the problem and the tools available (we were full-timing in Dallas/Fort Worth and most of my tools were in the stick house in Houston), I figured out how to do it with no problem and no strain.

Hardest part was lifting the hitch into my truck. Since my 5th wheel has hydraulic leveling, "I LOWERED MY TRAILER, instead of LIFTING the hitch." The sidewinder was sitting on the bed/tailgate of the truck and I lowered the trailer into position to attach it - used the same concept to remove the old pin box as well. My wife thought I was pretty smart to figure out that solution. All you need is a good torque wrench with the appropriate socket and some patience. Use all new hardware, don't reuse any of the old nuts/bolts/washers.

While a lot of folks may not agree with modern technology and contemporary engineering advances, I welcome all of it to make my life easier. While I don't know about blowing out tires, I don't worry about breaking anything on my truck because I don't have a slider. The auto level feature is another lifesaver for me - I'm not manually cranking any jacks, messing with blocks of wood or plastic and I don't have to worry if my unit is level enough for the refrigerator to function. I also know that if I have to change a flat on my trailer, I have a built in jack. In my toolbox you will also find a 18v impact wrench. I enjoy camping and being outdoors. I bought an RV because my wife enjoys camping trips more now that she has AC and a bathroom. I have and use new fangled stuff to make my life easier and allow more time for my leisurely pursuits.

Do what you want! Enjoy life! Don't let other folks steal your happiness or joy. If you want a sidewinder hitch, get one!

Good Luck!

Oh yeah... water and sand is for sissies, I learned from tow truck repo men the real trick is to squirt the cheapest dish detergent on the ground and tires-makes 'em slide real good!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #16
denverpilot

MBD, I love the story of just using the fiver to move the hitch into position. That's using the ol' noggin!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:28 AM   #17
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBD View Post
Hardest part was lifting the hitch into my truck. Since my 5th wheel has hydraulic leveling, "I LOWERED MY TRAILER, instead of LIFTING the hitch." The sidewinder was sitting on the bed/tailgate of the truck and I lowered the trailer into position to attach it - used the same concept to remove the old pin box as well. My wife thought I was pretty smart to figure out that solution. All you need is a good torque wrench with the appropriate socket and some patience. Use all new hardware, don't reuse any of the old nuts/bolts/washers.
I found that once or twice a year, I'd have to drop the arm and re-grease the turret. While i preferred to do the job with my Combat Engineer son, when not able to drop by, I found I could still manage it with a little of my wife's supervision. Trick for us, was a floor jack on the tailgate of the truck.

TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 AM   #18
mets721

Tomhaycraft: That's a great idea using the floor jack. Wish I thought of it before calling my brother in law over to help me lift it while my father scrambled to put the bolts in the turret. I've go the Sidewinder installed, and torqued. I was surprised that the custom wedge didn't have to move at all once hooked up to the Titan hitch. I hit it with the mallet a few times to make sure and crawled under to check and it's seated right up against the hitch head just before the jaws. Going to take it out for a test drive today. I keep having visions of everything falling apart!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
SkiSmuggs

When I needed to lock and raise my Sidewinder to level my fiver with my new F350, I backed the tailgate under it, used boards to fill the gap, and unbolted the Sidewinder. While I steadied it, the DW lowered the nose of the fiver 2 positions and I bolted it into its new location. Since I was at a campground, I did have to run out for a flex handle to complete the tightening. My torque wrench was only good for 150 lbs, so I used the flex handle to guessimate the last 50 lbs of torque.