Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #21
Steve S

Charcoal vents work great, they always have and always will in houses that is.
The issue that I would have with them is that the heat that comes from the oven and the stove stays in the trailer. This is fine in the winter but not so great in the summer! Also if they're at shoulder height it's pretty much blowing in your face.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I have personally owned two Keystone RV's with fiberglass skins and both of them had "outside vented" range hoods. My current Cougar has FILON that has a "pressboard backing", not a luan backing on the wall with the vented range hood. Previously, our motorhome had fiberglass siding and the range hood was vented outside as were the range hoods on all of our aluminum skin trailers as well as our aluminum skinned pick up campers.

As for any "restrictions" or "factory hesitation" to install vented range hoods on trailers based on the type of siding, I've never seen or heard of any such restriction. There currently are trailers, fifth wheels and pick up campers at both Camping World in Houghton Lake and at Brewbaker's RV in Onaway with vented range hoods. These "current model" (2015 and 2016) are constructed with aluminum or fiberglass siding. So, it appears that manufacturers don't hesitate to install vented range hoods on RV's with either type of siding.

As far as I know (based on what I've seen on lots and what I've owned) there is no "factory restriction" on what type of range hood to install based on the type of siding. I've seen vented and non vented range hoods on everything from aluminum paneling, aluminum sheeting, FILON with "cardboard backing", FILON with Luan backing, formed, handlaid fiberglass on motorhomes and even some that were installed through a steel panel made to look like a window. I don't know of any manufacturer that doesn't install vented range hoods based on type of siding.

If you think about it from a moisture prevention standpoint, it's really not "just the FILON" that needs protecting, many RV's are made with wood frames, water wicking insulation and interior paneling that is easily damaged by moisture. There's just no reason to think a vent would "leak more readily" on a fiberglass RV than on an aluminum sided RV. Both would suffer similar damage to structural components behind the siding regardless of the type of range hood venting......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #23
slow

Thanks for the insights. As a stated, my comments were pure speculation, possibly over thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 AM   #24
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Charcoal vents work great, they always have and always will in houses that is.
The issue that I would have with them is that the heat that comes from the oven and the stove stays in the trailer. This is fine in the winter but not so great in the summer! Also if they're at shoulder height it's pretty much blowing in your face.
In addition to getting the heat out, think about the CO. We've got a vent in our "entry level" Springdale, will add that to my list of items to check out if/when we start looking at the next trailer.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #25
Bob Landry

CO in a cooking environment is insignificant. Most people do not turn on the range hood while cooking at home and most do not use it even when cooking on the top burners. The PPM of CO is just not critical in that size space. If my Outback had one, I would use it just for the ability of heat removal, but a Fantastic fan close to the stove will handle that. CO has just never been an issue for me.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #26
Desert185

FWIW, our 326SRX has a vented hood...provided the flapper tabs are positioned properly to allow the outside flapper to flap. I'm really liking this trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #27
Cougar1957

Our 2015 28SGS is vented to the outside. You have to remember to flip the little outside tabs holding the flapper to the down position, which is different than our last trailer where they flipped up. Took me a few minutes to figure out why I couldn't release the flap with the tabs up. Anyway, I wasn't aware that not all RV's have an outside vented range hood.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #28
KYFamily

Our Avalanche does not have a vent also. Our fanatic fan is right above. If need be we just turn it on and it pretty much does the same job.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 AM   #29
lawdog130

Just my 2 cents...My Passport didn't have an exterior hood vent. I just did the mod an put one in. Much nicer when cooking inside during inclement weather and my camper doesn't smell like my last meal!

I wish I really knew why they don't put the vents in on some of the newer campers. Saving $$ would be my only guess. Possible problems with moisture getting in doesn't cut it. The side of my camper that has the new vent has 2 doors, 2 windows, 2 speakers...12 holes of varying sizes in total. What's one more going to do? I'd rather have the vent than outside speakers.

If you have any technical ability the modification isn't that difficult. Just remember to measure twice (or more) and cut once!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote