Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
CdnCopper

Generator in storage bay at front?

Hi everyone

We recently bought a champion 4000W genny to go with our other recent purchase - a 2012 copper canyon 292bhs. Physically it's a big generator, just wondering if any of you store yours in the front storage areas of your 5'er or if it's better to keep in the box of the truck. My concern would be it bouncing around or putting too much stress on the floor of the trailer even if I developed some sort of secure tie down system for it.

Thanks for your input

(I should note, I haven't even tried putting it in the front storage area as I will only be taking the delivery of the trailer here in a couple days. The genny may not even fit through the hatch doors but thought I would ask anyway)

CdnCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Champion 4000/3500 generator weighs about 100-110 lbs (depending on fuel) and is 18x18x25" (wxhxl). If you put the wheel kit on it, it is about 18x23x25" (wxhxl).

Trying to wrestle that big of a "box" weighing 100+ pounds through a door with an aluminum lip on a fifth wheel is not an easy thing to do. Considering that if you're going to use the front door to access the storage, you'll also be bending over while wrestling the generator.

I won't say it's impossible to load in your fifth wheel, but we always used a set of ramps to wheel the generator into our truck and even then, lifting it over the fifth wheel hitch was no "easy task".

Try it if you think it will work for you, but I think that after you load it once, you'll start looking for options to haul it in the truck bed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Larry1013

I have a long bed pickup and store the Champion 3500kw generator similar to yours between the tool box and the 5th wheel hitch.

I braised a 3/4" npt nipple to a flat plate to bolt onto the end of the muffler where the spark arrester attaches. I screwed on a 3/4 npt pipe street elbow to point the exhaust skyward. This allows me to run the generator in back of the pickup instead of loading and unloading the generator from the 5'r storage bay. When not in use, I cap off the elbow with a 3/4" pipe cap to prevent water from entering muffler.

I did see a video (can't remember if I found the url here or not) where someone cut out the floor of the front compartment and built an electric hoist with 4 point generator mounting to raise and lower their larger generator into the front bay. Once raised they secured it so it would not drop out. This left the area open underneath during travels. I suppose you could fabricate a removable door to enclose the area again to cut down on dirt entering.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you have your 5th wheel at home, measure the front storage opening and Google the Champion for its dimensions. Those results should tell you if it will fit in the opening.

This is not exactly a "suitcase" type generator and weighs approximately 105-110 lbs (about 48-50 kg) give or take a few depending on where you look for its specs. Lifting it in and out could be problematic especially when you get it to the bottom lip of the storage area compartment.

For me, I'd end up in the hospital if I were to try and lift it into the compartment but you're probably 30 years younger and strong as an ox. I'd be putting it in the truck bed and ensuring that it won't develop legs and walk.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
WaltBennett

First off, a 5er generator compartment is not meant for a gasoline generator of any size. Not only is there the danger of exhaust fumes getting into your bedroom (or living area), there's the problem of how you'd fill the tank and never have ANY spills. There are propane fueled ones that are made to fit and the exhaust from them isn't poisonous.

Like others have said, your best bet is to mount it in your truck's bed. Don't know the dimensions of yours, but we sometimes carry one up front if we anticipate needing the AC while dry camping. It doesn't stick up above the bed rails and sits forward of the hitch. Easy to refuel and run, although I need an extension cord to plug it in.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

WaltBennett,

There are some inconsistencies in your post that might lead some readers in the wrong direction.

First, the generator compartment of almost every fifth wheel is designed to accommodate either a gasoline or propane generator. In fact, Keystone offers several Onan generator sets as an option in many of their fifth wheel models. Some are complete with "dedicated" gas tanks, some toy haulers share a single fuel tank which is designed to refuel 4 wheelers as well as power the generator.

Second, propane exhaust produces carbon monoxide and is just as deadly as gasoline exhaust. Carbon Monoxide is produced by burning of both fuels and both must be carefully used in any enclosed area. The exhaust from any generator should be routed through an exhaust system that provides an enclosed path away from the RV. Even then, the possibility of the exhaust entering the RV is not completely eliminated.

Here is just one of many sources of information: http://www.propanefl.com/safety_tips.htm
Please note the "General Safety Guidelines for Propane" for information regarding propane and CO.

Keystone RV Manufacturing Company has produced a "Facts about Generators" safety sheet which also comments that, "LP-fired generators also produce CO, but at lower levels than conventional gasoline generators"

You can find it here: http://www.keystonerv.com/media/6421...heet_-_web.pdf

While I could have misinterpreted his question, I think the OP was considering transporting his generator in the front compartment of his fifth wheel and removing it for use, refueling and/or maintenance. I don't think he had considered operating it while inside the storage compartment.

I just wanted to set the record straight that propane generators can be as deadly as gasoline generators. Both produce enough carbon monoxide to be considered "killers" when used improperly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I thought the OP was asking about storing it too. My Kipor 3000 went with us across the country in '09. It was a bit awkward to lift but it stayed in front of the hitch in the bed. Never did use it, but we all know what happens when you don't!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
CdnCopper

Thanks for the great info. To clarify, I was questioning the storage aspect, not actually running it in the storage area. All great info and tips though, thank you for your in site. I think for ease of access and running it will stay in the box of the truck.

CdnCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
byrdr1

got the same generator two weeks ago for this camping season. May never use it but after the break downs I have had it would have been nice to have something to run the AC while sitting on the side of the road for 5 plus hours. Caught it on sale at Tractor Supply and bought it. I ran it a little before last trip and used NON-ethanol(all the reviews said to do this) fuel in it. it cranked on the third pull. I have not loaded it with any electric stuff yet but ran it for a good 10 minutes and then turned the fuel off and let it die out. It was not Honda quiet but it was no where as loud as my household one I use for power outages. The funny thing is the power was out at the house when we left for our trip last week.
I placed it into the truck by myself but the the wife helped me lift it over the hitch for placement in front of it. NOW its heavy around 100lbs but I managed it from about two foot up and then on to the tail gate.
Good luck.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Yosemitebob

For this old guy, it too much to lift the batteries in and/or out of the storage area in front let alone the generator. I have the same model as yours or the one you are planning on. You will bend up the aluminum around the door, as you have to set it down to reposition getting it in. I put mine in the back of the truck (after trying it) along with the air compressor. I end up using the generator for the air compressor a to more than for the trailer. I also added a receptacle to the fifth wheel at the front just for the purpose of using the generator where it is. I use a lift at home to get it in that is hooked into the patio roof beams and a electric winch I got at Harbor Fright for under 100 dollars. I might add I even tried putting it on the rear at one time. It fit there, and it was easier to move up with ramps, I just didn't like it on the rear slide out bumper.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
tgpilot

I know this is an old thread, but will revive it a bit by telling my experience. I have an old Honda 3000C that weighs about 90 lbs. or so with fuel. I was carrying it in my front bay and taking it out to run it. At almost 70 it was a bit of a chore, but guess I may be still a bit of a stud....lol.

I then bought a Honda 3000IS, not only was it a lot larger but also more weight. About 125 lbs. or more with fuel. I may be a stud, but not that much, so we put it in the back of the truck between the hitch and a large tool box. It just barely fit with the wheel kit on. About an hour ago I set up an electric winch off my back deck located just over my garage. Now, I can back under it and lift it in an out with no problem over the hitch and lower it to the ground to roll into the garage.
to haul it.

It was that, or spend about five or six hundred dollars for a rack to be mounted on the rear of the RV.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
jrwittman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCopper View Post
Thanks for the great info. To clarify, I was questioning the storage aspect, not actually running it in the storage area. All great info and tips though, thank you for your in site. I think for ease of access and running it will stay in the box of the truck.
I have the same 5ver just a yr older and I also have the same generator with the wheel package. I have always put it in the front of the bed and just strapped it to the bed tie-downs. Works really good but I don't run it while in the bed so having someone to help lift it out of the bed is sometimes a problem. I have a friend that is going to build a metal carrier for the back of my 5ver so it is just big enough to carry the genny and a 5 gal gas can. When it gets done I can get pics on here.
1 line to rear airbags and other to connect to GooseBox(quick connect)
jrwittman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwittman1 View Post
I have the same 5ver just a yr older and I also have the same generator with the wheel package. I have always put it in the front of the bed and just strapped it to the bed tie-downs. Works really good but I don't run it while in the bed so having someone to help lift it out of the bed is sometimes a problem. I have a friend that is going to build a metal carrier for the back of my 5ver so it is just big enough to carry the genny and a 5 gal gas can. When it gets done I can get pics on here.
cool. look forward to those pictures.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote