Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2024, 12:24 PM   #1
Blueswede

Frame flex/Lippert issues?

I have been following a few different threads regarding Grand Design 5th wheels and the frame flex issues that a number of owners are having. Since Lippert makes many of the 5th wheel frames that are on the road currently I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this? Really a bad deal for most owners especially when you’re out of warranty….
Old 01-21-2024, 03:34 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

The main issue with Lippert frames talked about on this forum is a crack that develops on models with an east-west bed in a slideout. The frame tends to crack on the front side of the slideout and is first noticed by the filon skin cracking. I am sure that other frame related issues with Lippert frames have been noted but that is the most common. I also recall a few posts about the pin box cracking and needing to be welded back in place.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:00 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Keep in mind that Lippert builds frames according to each manufacturer’s unit-specific engineering specifications. The odds of a frame deficiency that is common across different manufacturers, different brands and different models is astronomically high (better luck winning the lottery).

The only Keystone frame issues that come to mind for me are on models with a front bed slide-out like George mentioned or in cases where an unapproved gooseneck adapter was used.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:19 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Keep in mind that Lippert builds frames according to each manufacturer’s unit-specific engineering specifications. The odds of a frame deficiency that is common across different manufacturers, different brands and different models is astronomically high (better luck winning the lottery).

The only Keystone frame issues that come to mind for me are on models with a front bed slide-out like George mentioned or in cases where an unapproved gooseneck adapter was used.
If memory serves, many of the failed welds were not just goose neck adapter hitches but also conventional. I think Lippert wanted an out by claiming the gooseneck adapter was the cause. Just my opinion with no actual data to back this up.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:29 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If memory serves, many of the failed welds were not just goose neck adapter hitches but also conventional. I think Lippert wanted an out by claiming the gooseneck adapter was the cause. Just my opinion with no actual data to back this up.

Lippert and Reese have some sort of "arrangement". Once that was done Lippert refused to warrant any other sort of pin box modification other than the Goose Box. I've not read that warranties etc. had anything to do with it, simply an attempt to drive purchases to the Goose Box.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:56 AM   #6
JDDilly

Because Lippert owns Reese. Keep the money in the family!

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:32 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
Because Lippert owns Reese. Keep the money in the family!
I don't know for sure if Lippert "owns" Reese or not. There's so many "dead ends, loop-backs and shortcuts when trying to trace the Lippert, Cequent, Horizon Global and Reese ownership/partnership/relationship....

That said, there was an "industry business news article" about 12 or so years ago that said Reese had named Lippert Industries as the "Exclusive distributor for the Reese GooseBox system"... https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...127893378.html

So, yes, there's a "business incentive" between Lippert and Reese. That's very likely why Lippert states the GooseBox is the only approved gooseneck towing system allowed under the Lippert warranty.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:37 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't know for sure if Lippert "owns" Reese or not. There's so many "dead ends, loop-backs and shortcuts when trying to trace the Lippert, Cequent, Horizon Global and Reese ownership/partnership/relationship....

That said, there was an "industry business news article" about 12 or so years ago that said Reese had named Lippert Industries as the "Exclusive distributor for the Reese GooseBox system"... https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...127893378.html

So, yes, there's a "business incentive" between Lippert and Reese. That's very likely why Lippert states the GooseBox is the only approved gooseneck towing system allowed under the Lippert warranty.....

^^^Yes. That's the reason I used the term "arrangement". I've not found anything the definitively says Lippert owns Reese; it may be out there but I've not found it; but they are definitely "washing each other's backs".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:51 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Lippert owns Curt, but even at a corporate parent level (Drew Industries) , I don’t see that Lippert and Reese are connected other than by a “marriage” of convenience.

As a side note, Lippert also owns Furrion, Girard, Thomas Payne, Champion Doors, etc.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote