Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2024, 04:04 PM   #1
wasielak

recliner problem

Hi, Iv' got a 316RLSSE and have a problem with the recliner footrest staying up on both chairs. I've checked out several new trailers and they all seem to have the same problem. Other than replacing them, does anyone know about a fix or adjustment that can be made?I might also add that I think the manufacturer is KD.
Thanks, Ken
wasielak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't believe there's any adjustment on "closing pressure" on any RV recliners.

The amount of force needed to push the footrest down is a "balancing act" between support to keep the foot rest up and the force needed to fold it down so you can get out of the chair.

On all the mass produced recliners that I've seen, that "balancing act" has to take into account all the "heavy butted folks" as well as that little old lady that uses a walker to get around. So, the compromise in the "not adjustable recliner footrest" and the "force needed for her to get out of the chair" means that some people may find the foot rest not staying up in all reclining positions.

But, I haven't seen any adjustment on the cheaply made, lowest bidder recliners that are used in most RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #3
wasielak

I'd have to agree with you! I looked at a unit that had Thomas Paine recliners and they worked like a charm!
Old 01-15-2024, 07:49 AM   #4
dutchmensport

What is "KD". Are your recliners electric or just old school manual?
Old 01-15-2024, 08:26 AM   #5
wasielak

Manual, pull on h handle to open.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasielak View Post
I'd have to agree with you! I looked at a unit that had Thomas Paine recliners and they worked like a charm!
Thomas Paine recliners are covered in genuine pleather which will start to shed in a year or two. More complaints about TP furniture covered in pleather than all other brands combined. We have an expensive reclining love seat in our home living room. My footrest sags with my chubby legs on it and my wife's side doesn't (probably because I outweigh her a tad... over 100 lbs.). We had a Lazyboy recliner loverseat in our camper (real leather) that the foot rests didn't sag and now have two recliners I purchased on eBay that don't sag and are supposed to be able to be shoved up to a wall and still recline all the way. They like to be away from the wall in our camper an inch or two to fully recline.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:20 AM   #7
TXiceman

Keystone started using Ashley recliners and the footrest will not stay up and there is no adjustment. I have battled Keystone and it is like pissing into the wind. Your best optio is to buy after market and ditch the Ashley junk.

Ken
Old 01-17-2024, 07:25 AM   #8
wasielak

Thanks for the responses. It's really a comfort to know that Keystone will do nothing to correct the problem and continue to use the junk they know is defective! Great costumer support!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:45 AM   #9
Mikelff

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It's really a comfort to know that Keystone will do nothing to correct the problem and continue to use the junk they know is defective! Great costumer support!
Problem is Keystone doesn't manufacture the recliners. You have to contact the manufacturer. I believe there is a 1 year warranty and after that you are on your own. Thomas Payne and the other OEM furniture are not real leather and will start flaking apart. Its cheap and real crap! Replaced mine with real leather recliner. A little more expensive but never have issues. The recliner store.com. Check it out.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:05 AM   #10
Richeyb

I have a 2017 Montana HC and found that the recliners were bolted to the floor too close to the wall to all full extension or operation. I undid the restrains and they work great.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:18 PM   #11
Indnryder

Quote:
Hi, Iv' got a 316RLSSE and have a problem with the recliner footrest staying up on both chairs. I've checked out several new trailers and they all seem to have the same problem. Other than replacing them, does anyone know about a fix or adjustment that can be made?I might also add that I think the manufacturer is KD.
Thanks, Ken
We have a 2016 Alpine 3900 RE and our recliners are just the opposite, you really have to have a strong pair of legs to get them to latch……
Indnryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:49 PM   #12
CTom

Recliner pleather junk! How about this??

We purchased a used 2016 Avalanche with 5 slides in 2022. It was in perfect condition and we love it. The seller's wife took me to one of the reclinders and showed me about a 1 sq inch repair she had made herself on the headrest part. I said "oh, if that happens again I can fix it, I'm crafty".

She explained that what she wanted me to know is that the pleather was junk and if I look online I would see that it will happen to both and chairs and fold out couches. So far just that tiny area had happened. She said I may want to look online before buying their rig.

It was a good price and they were honest people so we told them we would deal with it when it happened. We live in it almost full time due to out of town work. The couches are perfect but the chair fabric is a mess now. We are looking to replace the recliners. I saw a place called 'theater seats.com"

They have affordable ones made with 'Top Grain Italian leather'. When I studied up on it, I'm understanding that they take thin the bottom of the leather to make it more pliable to make the chairs.

Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge with this material or company?

Thanks for your help
CTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTom View Post
We purchased a used 2016 Avalanche with 5 slides in 2022. It was in perfect condition and we love it. The seller's wife took me to one of the reclinders and showed me about a 1 sq inch repair she had made herself on the headrest part. I said "oh, if that happens again I can fix it, I'm crafty".

She explained that what she wanted me to know is that the pleather was junk and if I look online I would see that it will happen to both and chairs and fold out couches. So far just that tiny area had happened. She said I may want to look online before buying their rig.

It was a good price and they were honest people so we told them we would deal with it when it happened. We live in it almost full time due to out of town work. The couches are perfect but the chair fabric is a mess now. We are looking to replace the recliners. I saw a place called 'theater seats.com"

They have affordable ones made with 'Top Grain Italian leather'. When I studied up on it, I'm understanding that they take thin the bottom of the leather to make it more pliable to make the chairs.

Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge with this material or company?

Thanks for your help
I have experience with "pleather" and Italian top grain leather. "Pleather" as I know and understand it was used from around 2013-2017 and did look better (realistic) than previous versions - naugahyde, vinyl etc. It just didn't hold up well. We bought covers for our recliners and that was the way it was when we got rid of it for the current trailer. In 2017 (from memory) the chair manufacturer changed the "formula" for the pleather with better results. Our current trailer has the improved material and we have not had an ounce of trouble.

I don't know about all Italian top grain leather but I've owned (own) furniture with it. I can only say very good things about it. Bought an entire living room set; couch, love seat, 2 recliners of the material. I was very hesitant but the sales guy (I'd known him a long time) said I would not be disappointed - I have not been to be understated. It's soft, supple and wears like iron....like you would expect. I gave up on wearing the recliners out (which we use almost exclusively) and gave them to my son. They had started to slightly fade at the use points (head, footrest) but were in excellent shape leather wise (18 years). They are extremely pleased with them. Unfortunately I thought I would upgrade to 2 La-Z-Boy leather power recliners (2200 each) - after less than a month (delivered 1/4) I'm afraid it was a significant downgrade and a huge increase in cost.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:53 PM   #14
CTom

That's good infor !

Thanks so much for the info.

We had thought about the much more expensive ones but then backed up to investigate the others with the Top Grain Italian Leather.

So now I think we're just waiting to see how long we will be 'living' in the RV for this construction project. That will help the decision making on pulling the trigger. I at least need covers but I feel like I had enough of those in the early years with kids...I like nicer things in my old age - LOL

Safe Travels
CTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTom View Post
Thanks so much for the info.

We had thought about the much more expensive ones but then backed up to investigate the others with the Top Grain Italian Leather.

So now I think we're just waiting to see how long we will be 'living' in the RV for this construction project. That will help the decision making on pulling the trigger. I at least need covers but I feel like I had enough of those in the early years with kids...I like nicer things in my old age - LOL

Safe Travels

For me I have to weigh the pros vs cons. If you are only going to have the RV a short while the expenditure doesn't make sense to me. The "construction project", is it work or your home? If the RV is going to be a long term possession then investing in the furniture isn't a big deal. If you are going to be "moving on" from it I would most definitely get some nice, tight fitting covers that look good and call it a day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recliner