Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #21
bsmith0404

If both ACs are working, I doubt it’s the power cord

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldicaprio View Post
Tv and fireplace working. It’s contained to outlets. There’s no glass cabinet under the tv. There are cabinets above. Nothing in there.
The TV and fireplace both plug into outlets behind them, that’s why I asked. Many times there is a cabinet near the TV where you can plug in items such as a satellite box. I can’t remember where that is on the 3790 and I can’t see the virtual walk around very clearly on my phone. Just trying to think of places an outlet could be that people don’t think of.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #23
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
In most new models, you just pull down on one side.
Thank you!
Cldicaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #24
Cldicaprio

Quote:
The TV and fireplace both plug into outlets behind them, that’s why I asked. Many times there is a cabinet near the TV where you can plug in items such as a satellite box. I can’t remember where that is on the 3790 and I can’t see the virtual walk around very clearly on my phone. Just trying to think of places an outlet could be that people don’t think of.
That one is ok too, and is not a resettable plug. Keystone tech support thinks it’s the power cord- told me to try replucfing the main power cord back in. That didn’t work. They said I’d that doesn’t work we’d need a new main power cord- but wouldn’t all the electrical be off then and not just certain plugs??
Old 05-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #25
bsmith0404

On a 50 amp rv you have two sides to the power. One on each of the hot pins of the 4 plug connector. Some parts of the EV will operate on one, some parts on the other. That’s probably why Keystone thinks it the power cord, but my understanding is the ACs are also split between the two sides. That’s why I stayed earlier that if both ACs are working, I doubt it’s the power cord. If I wrong, I’m sure someone else will provide more info.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

In mine both A/Cs are on the same side and the other heavy users are on the other so that may not be an indicator. OP you can look in the breaker panel to see (if they hopefully put anything legible on the labels). The big main breaker is in the middle and each leg has breakers to the left and right of it on mine. Look for the breakers with AC on them. I there is one on each side of that main breaker both of your power legs are working. If they are both on one side look on the other side for something like "micro" or whatever and see if it works. That would tell you there was power on the other side. From the things you said that worked I highly doubt you have lost power on your power cable. Have you checked for an exterior gfi plug or one in the passthrough? I have 2 in my passthru but they don't have resets, yours might.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #27
Cldicaprio

Quote:
If both ACs are working, I doubt it’s the power cord
That’s what the service tech at the dealership aid too when they finally called us back yesterday evening. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2022, 05:54 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

If a couple of GFI protected outlets are the ONLY thing not working it's not the shore power cable. There are 3 possibilities.
1. A wire somewhere downstream from the load side of the GFI is not making contact.
2. The GFI that feeds the outlets is tripped and you cannot find it.
3. The GFI that controls it has failed.

After an extensive search for a hidden GFI with no results it's time to troubleshoot. First, cycle all the breakers in the panel by turnning them fully off then back on. Next reset all GFIs by pressing the test button and then the reset. NOTE: GFI MUST HAVE POWER GOING TO IT TO RESET IT. If none of that resolves the issue it's time to "open things up" and troubleshoot the problem.

To troubleshoot this issue will require some basic electrical knowledge and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and the safe procedures working with electricity. If any of these prerequisites are missing STOP and hire a professional.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:03 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If a couple of GFI protected outlets are the ONLY thing not working it's not the shore power cable. There are 3 possibilities.
1. A wire somewhere downstream from the load side of the GFI is not making contact.

After an extensive search for a hidden GFI with no results it's time to troubleshoot. First, cycle all the breakers in the panel by turnning them fully off then back on. Next reset all GFIs by pressing the test button and then the reset. NOTE: GFI MUST HAVE POWER GOING TO IT TO RESET IT. If none of that resolves the issue it's time to "open things up" and troubleshoot the problem.

To troubleshoot this issue will require some basic electrical knowledge and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and the safe procedures working with electricity. If any of these prerequisites are missing STOP and hire a professional.
Agree. I still think your issue is number 2 above. I have trouble believing the GFI protected outlets in the kitchen of a modern, 41’ RV are protected by an outlet in the bedroom/bathroom at the other end of the coach. Double check the outside outlets. There should be a couple in the pass through storage (check the ceiling in the pass through) which just happens to be right under the kitchen in your case, the water docking station. I know you’ve checked EVERYWHERE, it just seems to me that you’re missing it somewhere. The hardest part about troubleshooting a wiring connection issue, is knowing which GFI feeds those outlets.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:08 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

For others reading this post; I would suggest when purchasing an RV ( new or used) to do some "upfront" troubleshooting. Why? Because everything is working and ONE DAY IT WON'T. So while it's all working do some investigating. First, buy an outlet tester. You can get one at any big box store and HF sells one under 10 bucks that will also test a GFI

Start with the the first breaker under or beside the main and label it CB-1. Turn it off and note what doesn't work. Don't forget to check the microwave, tv, fireplace, or other 120 v ac hard wired appliance. Check all outlets and note which one(s) are on that circuit. When you find a CB that controls a GFI note that with the outlets that also don't work. The easiest way to identify these circuits is to label the outlet or device with a label maker. So if an outlet is controlled by CB (circuit breaker #1) the label it CB-1 will identify the circuit. You remove the outlet cover and place the label inside or if the cover is ivory use a sharpie

When I was working I required all electrical contractors to do this. It makes troubleshooting so much faster when something goes wrong. You can also print off copies of your floorplan and note where the outlets or devices controlled by a breaker is physically located. Use several copies as one would get too crowded and confusing. After finished, move on to the dc side and perform the same identifications by pulling and fuse at a time and see what doesn't work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #31
RickV

Believe it or not Ladies and Gentlemen it is controlled by the GFI in the rear bathroom. I have been busy and just got around to trying it on my 3790FK I tripped the rear GFI switch and kitchen outlet went dead. It is the one on the wall by the sinks not the two in in the washer/dryer closet.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #32
Cldicaprio

Quote:

Dealership service is in agreement- must be one of the outlets in “the chain”. Everything else is working thankfully! We will either have an electrician look at it or go back to the dealership with it next week. Not an optimal situation as we are full time but it is what it is. Thank you so much for your detailed response!!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #33
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Believe it or not Ladies and Gentlemen it is controlled by the GFI in the rear bathroom. I have been busy and just got around to trying it on my 3790FK I tripped the rear GFI switch and kitchen outlet went dead. It is the one on the wall by the sinks not the two in in the washer/dryer closet.
And yet that outlet is working? We can grip it and reset it. Did the two outlets on either side of the kitchen go dead when you did that? Or just the one by the microwave? Thank you so much for trying that!! Once again
Leads to the conclusion it’s one of the outlets int the “chain”, yes?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #34
Cldicaprio

Quote:
For others reading this post; I would suggest when purchasing an RV ( new or used) to do some "upfront" troubleshooting. Why? Because everything is working and ONE DAY IT WON'T. So while it's all working do some investigating. First, buy an outlet tester. You can get one at any big box store and HF sells one under 10 bucks that will also test a GFI

Start with the the first breaker under or beside the main and label it CB-1. Turn it off and note what doesn't work. Don't forget to check the microwave, tv, fireplace, or other 120 v ac hard wired appliance. Check all outlets and note which one(s) are on that circuit. When you find a CB that controls a GFI note that with the outlets that also don't work. The easiest way to identify these circuits is to label the outlet or device with a label maker. So if an outlet is controlled by CB (circuit breaker #1) the label it CB-1 will identify the circuit. You remove the outlet cover and place the label inside or if the cover is ivory use a sharpie

When I was working I required all electrical contractors to do this. It makes troubleshooting so much faster when something goes wrong. You can also print off copies of your floorplan and note where the outlets or devices controlled by a breaker is physically located. Use several copies as one would get too crowded and confusing. After finished, move on to the dc side and perform the same identifications by pulling and fuse at a time and see what doesn't work.
Great suggestion thank you!! Unfortunately when we did our walk through and everything major was working, we never thought to test all the outlets though they claim they did.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:56 AM   #35
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Agree. I still think your issue is number 2 above. I have trouble believing the GFI protected outlets in the kitchen of a modern, 41’ RV are protected by an outlet in the bedroom/bathroom at the other end of the coach. Double check the outside outlets. There should be a couple in the pass through storage (check the ceiling in the pass through) which just happens to be right under the kitchen in your case, the water docking station. I know you’ve checked EVERYWHERE, it just seems to me that you’re missing it somewhere. The hardest part about troubleshooting a wiring connection issue, is knowing which GFI feeds those outlets.
Agreed- and we we have checked and even keystone didn’t suggest that there’s one somewhere we haven’t seen
Old 05-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #36
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldicaprio View Post
And yet that outlet is working? We can grip it and reset it. Did the two outlets on either side of the kitchen go dead when you did that? Or just the one by the microwave? Thank you so much for trying that!! Once again
Leads to the conclusion it’s one of the outlets int the “chain”, yes?
It was both sides deader then some of my brain cells. I would lean towards a loose wire somewhere along the line.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #37
bsmith0404

Based on what Rick found (still can’t believe they did that) the wiring most likely runs dow the same side of the RV as that outlet and then jumpers around the kitchen. I say most likely because, we’ll, if you ever dropped the underbelly you’d understand. I would check for power coming off the GFI and then the first one in line with that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #38
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
It was both sides deader then some of my brain cells. I would lean towards a loose wire somewhere along the line.
Lol. Yeah it’s looking that way
Old 05-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #39
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Based on what Rick found (still can’t believe they did that) the wiring most likely runs dow the same side of the RV as that outlet and then jumpers around the kitchen. I say most likely because, we’ll, if you ever dropped the underbelly you’d understand. I would check for power coming off the GFI and then the first one in line with that.
Will do thank you!!
Old 05-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #40
ChuckS

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it you can find this issue pretty quickly..your issue is either with a splice junction plug or one of the load wires that is piggy backed in the chain of outlets frame one to the next

The protected outlets that are labeled are fed from one gfci.. measure the load side of that gfci to see if there is 120 volts .

If yes then start working the chain of self contained protected outlets that are not working one by one till you find where the 120 volts disappears

If you don’t have a meter then it’s a guessing game and I don’t like to guess

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine