Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Cldicaprio

Location of gfi resets in Alpine 3790fk

We are having trouble with some gfi outlets in part of our fifth wheel not working. There is a gfi reset in the bathroom and two in the laundry closet in the bathroom. Those are fine and reset fine. We were told it should have another gfi reset in the kitchen due to the 41 foot length but for the life of me I can’t locate it. Does anyone know if there is a resettable gfi outlet in the kitchen of the Alpine 3790fk and where on earth it is??
Cldicaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Trying to remember the exact kitchen layout on that and where everything is. If there’s an appliance garage, check in there. Many times the kitchen one is in the island, but you don’t have an island. Could be under the dinette seating.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:37 AM   #3
RickV

I just checked all mine in the Kitchen and Living Room they no resetable one but they all have a little sticker that says GFI Protected Outlet on em. I just went out and looked at the one in the storage area next to the battery one not there either. If you find it please post back so I'll know where it is.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:44 AM   #4
Mikendebbie

Check for two GFCI plugs on the front kitchen wall. Seems like there would be one in the bathroom, and check the one for the washer-dryer prep (see pics below from the Keystone website).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00B1CBCF-7C97-436B-B01E-F87600FE73AC.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	39910   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5028AB2-BEE1-44A4-A252-45A88AFBFB7D.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	39911   Click image for larger version

Name:	4ED995F8-08E0-4B14-9A27-609A8F8D2344.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	39912  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:16 AM   #5
ChuckS

The outlets that have a sticker on them saying GFCI protected are all grouped onto ONE GFCI upstream..

The LOAD side of the GFCI is connected to each of those "Protected" wall outlets in a string.... I would check the load side of the GFCI breakers you have located and reset them if not already done...

If the "protected outlets" are still dead then you need to verify you are actually getting power off the LOAD SIDE OF THE GFCI by using a meter

If the GFCI load side shows 120 VAC then either you have a quick connection on the back of the first "protected outlet" in the string or you have a bad quick spice connection in the line

THe wall outlets are self contained outlets that use pinch style connections on the back to pierce the romex wire and mae electrical contact.. if the first one in the string has a poor connection then all those protected outets will be dead..

The quick splice connectors are yellow and clear "typically" and have two blade connections that mate together to complete the circuit...

These are located under some of the cabinets in the Alpine and there are also at least FOUR under the coroplast toward the rear of your Alpine...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:20 AM   #6
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I just checked all mine in the Kitchen and Living Room they no resetable one but they all have a little sticker that says GFI Protected Outlet on em. I just went out and looked at the one in the storage area next to the battery one not there either. If you find it please post back so I'll know where it is.
Will do! The only ones we found were in the bathroom - the obvious one on the wall, and the two in the laundry closet. Both are working fine.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:22 AM   #7
Cldicaprio

The ones in the bathroom and laundry closet were fine, the ones in front by the window are gfi protected but not resettable
Old 05-26-2022, 04:24 AM   #8
Cldicaprio

Thank you for the detailed response! Some of that is Greek to me but I will share that with my husband and I’m sure he will understand!
Old 05-26-2022, 04:27 AM   #9
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Trying to remember the exact kitchen layout on that and where everything is. If there’s an appliance garage, check in there. Many times the kitchen one is in the island, but you don’t have an island. Could be under the dinette seating.
Idk what an appliance garage is? Nothing under the dinette and have searched high and low for one other than those in the bathroom and laundry.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:30 AM   #10
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The outlets that have a sticker on them saying GFCI protected are all grouped onto ONE GFCI upstream..

The LOAD side of the GFCI is connected to each of those "Protected" wall outlets in a string.... I would check the load side of the GFCI breakers you have located and reset them if not already done...

If the "protected outlets" are still dead then you need to verify you are actually getting power off the LOAD SIDE OF THE GFCI by using a meter

If the GFCI load side shows 120 VAC then either you have a quick connection on the back of the first "protected outlet" in the string or you have a bad quick spice connection in the line

THe wall outlets are self contained outlets that use pinch style connections on the back to pierce the romex wire and mae electrical contact.. if the first one in the string has a poor connection then all those protected outets will be dead..

The quick splice connectors are yellow and clear "typically" and have two blade connections that mate together to complete the circuit...

These are located under some of the cabinets in the Alpine and there are also at least FOUR under the coroplast toward the rear of your Alpine...
Thank you so much for the detailed response! I’ll share with my husband and hope he knows what that all means!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:17 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldicaprio View Post
Idk what an appliance garage is? Nothing under the dinette and have searched high and low for one other than those in the bathroom and laundry.
Is a cabinet on the counter top with an outlet inside for appliances like a blender or toaster. Many Alpine floor plans have one, I just checked the 3790, it doesn’t. The cabinet above the microwave has an outlet where the microwave plugs in. Sometimes that is a GFI. Possibly the one in the living room behind the theater seating, unless those are all working. Id also double check all the circuit breakers and reset them. Even if they don’t appear to be tripped, sometimes they are. If not, then you probably have a loose connection somewhere in the wiring. Is there anything else other than kitchen outlets not working, maybe one of the ACs?
Old 05-26-2022, 05:18 AM   #12
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post

Rick, any chance you know how to adjust the awning pitch?
Old 05-26-2022, 05:25 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
In most new models, you just pull down on one side.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:47 AM   #14
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Is a cabinet on the counter top with an outlet inside for appliances like a blender or toaster. Many Alpine floor plans have one, I just checked the 3790, it doesn’t. The cabinet above the microwave has an outlet where the microwave plugs in. Sometimes that is a GFI. Possibly the one in the living room behind the theater seating, unless those are all working. Id also double check all the circuit breakers and reset them. Even if they don’t appear to be tripped, sometimes they are. If not, then you probably have a loose connection somewhere in the wiring. Is there anything else other than kitchen outlets not working, maybe one of the ACs?
Searched all of those locations and no other gfi reset plugs that we can find! And all that’s working. Resetting breakers didn’t work. Both ACs work. It’s just certain outlets and not all
Of them. Must be a loose wire somewhere in one of the plugs or in the wiring. Going to call keystone just to make sure we aren’t missing another reset somewhere though I can’t imagine where!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:58 AM   #15
bsmith0404

Quote:
Searched all of those locations and no other gfi reset plugs that we can find! And all that’s working. Resetting breakers didn’t work. Both ACs work. It’s just certain outlets and not all
Of them. Must be a loose wire somewhere in one of the plugs or in the wiring. Going to call keystone just to make sure we aren’t missing another reset somewhere though I can’t imagine where!
Good luck calling Keystone. Is the TV working? Fireplace? Did you check in the cabinet with the glass door under the TV?
Old 05-26-2022, 06:02 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Did you check the outside outlets? Sometimes there's a GFI in the outside outlet or it could be in the passthrough. Otherwise, like you, I'd start looking for a loose wire. Keystone daisy-chains outlets, sometimes 3 or 4 on a circuit, and a loose wire in those cheap self contained outlets will definitely stop service to all the outlets "down the chain"..... I'd suggest locating the dead outlet closest to the power center circuit breakers, pull it out of the wall and see which direction the ROMEX runs. Toward the power center should be hot, if it's hot in the direction away from the power center, move to the next dead outlet and do the same. You (hopefully) will find the outlet with one wire "not in the slice connector" and that'll identify your problem.

BE AWARE THAT WITH THE CIRCUIT BREAKER ON, THE ROMEX WILL BE HOT. AND IF YOU HAVE A SOLAR SYSTEM/INVERTER, UNPLUGGING THE TRAILER FROM SHORE POWER MAY NOT REMOVE THE INVERTER POWER, SO ALWAYS CHECK FOR VOLTAGE BEFORE TOUCHING ANY BARE WIRE !!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #17
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Good luck calling Keystone. Is the TV working? Fireplace? Did you check in the cabinet with the glass door under the TV?
Tv and fireplace working. It’s contained to outlets. There’s no glass cabinet under the tv. There are cabinets above. Nothing in there.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That depends on the brand and model of the awning. Some cannot be adjusted. The Carefree awnings that are adjustable have a black "button" with a series of holes in line on the awning arms. Push in the button and slide the arm until it snaps into the next hole. If you could post a picture of the awning arms it might help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #19
Cldicaprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Did you check the outside outlets? Sometimes there's a GFI in the outside outlet or it could be in the passthrough. Otherwise, like you, I'd start looking for a loose wire. Keystone daisy-chains outlets, sometimes 3 or 4 on a circuit, and a loose wire in those cheap self contained outlets will definitely stop service to all the outlets "down the chain"..... I'd suggest locating the dead outlet closest to the power center circuit breakers, pull it out of the wall and see which direction the ROMEX runs. Toward the power center should be hot, if it's hot in the direction away from the power center, move to the next dead outlet and do the same. You (hopefully) will find the outlet with one wire "not in the slice connector" and that'll identify your problem.

BE AWARE THAT WITH THE CIRCUIT BREAKER ON, THE ROMEX WILL BE HOT. AND IF YOU HAVE A SOLAR SYSTEM/INVERTER, UNPLUGGING THE TRAILER FROM SHORE POWER MAY NOT REMOVE THE INVERTER POWER, SO ALWAYS CHECK FOR VOLTAGE BEFORE TOUCHING ANY BARE WIRE !!!!!!!
GFI outlet on the outside working. Called keystone they said it’s the power cord- try re plugging it in, that didn’t work. Said we’d need a new one if that didn’t work but haven’t tried that yet. Do you think it’s the power cord or one of the outlets not wired correctly?
Old 05-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #20
Cldicaprio

On the awning- found the paperwork and looked it up. It’s exactly as you described so thank you! Our pdi was sorely lacking as they didn’t show us a bunch of things and we are seasoned Rv owners. These new ones are so much more complicated!

Tags
alpine