Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
James R Moneypenny

Finding replacement wheel

On a trip to Yellowstone I noticed my Avalance (2017) wheel trip flapping. Both the tire and wheel rim were missing, leaving only the hub.Long story short - we were able to locate a nearby RV repair facility and got the spare put on and also located a tire dealership that was able to replace the tire and wheel. Now, having returned from our trip and having repaired most of the damage, I am looking for a wheel to replace the one we lost.

Any suggestions for finding a match for the "fancy" rim?
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
Carl n Susan

Most wheels (and tires) on Keystone products come from Tredit Tire and Wheel. https://www.tredittire.com/ Give them a call as they are easy to deal with. Hopefully they are still making the same wheel as what you had.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you could post a photo of your wheel, we could determine who manufactured the wheel. Back in 2016 (when parts for your trailer were contracted for the model year) most Keystone wheels were being supplied by Americana Tire & Wheel, who is the distributor for SenDel wheels. You can download their catalog at: https://americanatire.com/wp-content...talog-2023.pdf

I think you'll find your wheels starting at page 14-19. Once you have the wheel style, you can search for that wheel in your size and lug configuration using Google and find a number of suppliers. Choose which one has the best price and delivery time and compare that to what the local RV dealerships charge. Sometimes you can pick one up at a dealership cheaper than ordering from a discount house online.... SOMETIMES, certainly not always !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 07:33 AM   #4
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R Moneypenny View Post
On a trip to Yellowstone I noticed my Avalance (2017) wheel trip flapping. Both the tire and wheel rim were missing, leaving only the hub.Long story short - we were able to locate a nearby RV repair facility and got the spare put on and also located a tire dealership that was able to replace the tire and wheel. Now, having returned from our trip and having repaired most of the damage, I am looking for a wheel to replace the one we lost.

Any suggestions for finding a match for the "fancy" rim?
Suggestion:
Christmas is just around the corner. Buy yourself a torque wrench and make a habit of checking wheel lug tightness before every trip. An errant tire rolling 60+ miles per hour is capable of causing unforgettable sorrow and remorse.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Suggestion:
Christmas is just around the corner. Buy yourself a torque wrench and make a habit of checking wheel lug tightness before every trip. An errant tire rolling 60+ miles per hour is capable of causing unforgettable sorrow and remorse.
Sounds like his lug nuts were quite tight, and just the tire and the outer rim was gone. Hub of the wheel was still attached.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
gearhead

Are you running OEM size tires? Your failure sounds similar to failures caused by owners who upgraded tires and overlooked the max pressure spec of the OEM wheels.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:00 AM   #7
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Sounds like his lug nuts were quite tight, and just the tire and the outer rim was gone. Hub of the wheel was still attached.
After re-reading post #1, I see you are correct. I mistook the hub as meaning the bearing hub. It would be interesting to see a photo of how much of the wheel’s center was left, to determine a possible cause. A cast wheel could develop a fracture from using the wrong type of lug nut.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
After re-reading post #1, I see you are correct. I mistook the hub as meaning the bearing hub. It would be interesting to see a photo of how much of the wheel’s center was left, to determine a possible cause. A cast wheel could develop a fracture from using the wrong type of lug nut.
Or a 15" 5 lug wheel with a LRE tire being run at 80PSI or even a 15" 6 lug wheel being run at 95PSI with LRF tires.

The 15" 5 lug wheels from Sendel are usually rated 2150 pounds per wheel and the 6 lug wheels are rated 2830 pounds. Installing bigger tires on a lighter wheel can overload the wheel and cause a fracture and wheel failure.

It's the same with 16" wheels with either 6 lug or 8 lug configuration and then, with the 8 lugs, the difference in max weight ratings for LRE/LRF or LRG tire installations, which are either 80, 95 or 110 PSI

You're right, we don't know if the OP had a wheel failure or a lug nut failure, either of which could lead to a different conclusion about what happened. To me, the wheel casting failure would seem more likely than to have all 6 or all 8 lug nuts fail at the same time....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #9
Vetteman Randy

Well you had better luck with your avalanche than I had with mine just purchased a 2021 in August left on vacation in September put a thousand miles on it and had one of my tires peel the tread came up and the steel belting ripped the belly wrap off of the wheel well and has created quite a mess so be thankful that it happened to you also cuz now they're going to have to pull the slide out to put a new belly band on it safe traveling
Vetteman Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:34 PM   #10
Nomadic

I also lost a wheel recently

Also lost a wheel recently and it's why I signed up here, to find a replacement wheel. Wheel failed causing a blowout on the 3rd drive we ever took out 2022 342cg. Now can't find the wheel anywhere. Tried to get it through Camping World but apparently they don't need my business as I went in 3 separate times called numerous times and was basically blown off. Anyway here's a picture of mine, not to hijack the thread but figured it's easier that creating another of the same:
Nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:03 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
:
I would send that photo to Keystone and ask them which supplier they contracted to supply those wheels. You can contact them using the Keystone website at: https://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service. There are links to call them, use a chat feature, webmail or email. Note that they have specific "office hours" if you want to call them "in real time"....

They do not appear in the SenDel, Lionshead or Tredit catalogs. I have seen them on some Forest River trailers (Flagstaff and Rockford) but yours is the first Keystone product that I've seen them installed on.

Also, I'd ask, is that "Transporter ST Radial" tire an OEM tire or did you or someone else install them as aftermarket tires?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-02-2024, 03:29 PM   #12
Nomadic

When the wheel failed I lost both tires on the same side and had one other on the opposite side bulging so it has 2 mismatched tires on it for now until I can find the wheel and replace all 4 and add in TPMS sensors. The OEM tires are ticking time bombs and there really should be a lawsuit or something against them. Made it around 1200 miles and had 3 go down, currently living with the one on the spare and the other on the non wheel explosion side. The wheel left 3 lugs on the remains of the broken hub, super weird but I have absolutely no faith in anything in this lemon
Old 01-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #13
Nomadic

No luck yet

Still haven't been able to get the wheel. It's in the parts catalog. I can pick it out, but when I try to give them money to order it I get ghosted. Onto my 3rd different dealer as Keystone has been absolutely no help whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:07 PM   #14
bobbecky

Might just be easier to buy four new wheels and get on with camping.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:25 PM   #15
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Might just be easier to buy four new wheels and get on with camping.
My thoughts exactly! Might even be nicer looking than what you have or have a higher pressure rating.