Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
Dm01

Resealing Roof Maintenance

What was originally used to seal the roof on my 2012 Keystone - Cougar 325SRX (Toy Hauler). Im going to reseal it (even though it's not leaking). What should I use to reseal it and why?
Dm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely it was sealed at the seams with Dicor lap sealant. self leveling on the top and non self leveling on the sides.

If you clean the roof and the seams well, you can apply new dicor right over the top of the old dicor.

Why? no reason not to use what was used before.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #3
Dm01

I mainly wanted to confirm that a silicone based sealent wasn't originally used by manufacturer before using anything as I read nothing will adhere to silicone based sealents.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:14 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm01 View Post
I mainly wanted to confirm that a silicone based sealent wasn't originally used by manufacturer before using anything as I read nothing will adhere to silicone based sealents.
From the 2012 Keystone Owner's Manual, page 70:

Roof Seams and/or Joints Roof sealants will deteriorate which can lead to leaks. Deterioration can be accelerated in heavy sun, changes in climates (expansion/contraction with aggressive temperature change), and cold climates. Once the unit leaves our manufacturing facilities, we can no longer maintain the sealants, that becomes your responsibility. We hope you take this seriously because it can help prevent a very frustrating situation that can be very expensive to remedy (damage from water leaks). Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of silicone product on the rubber roof material. If there any doubt in your mind in performing this maintenance, please contract with your local dealer to have it done. Please refer to the manufacturer instructions supplied with the unit for care and operation and/or www.dicor.com

I took the liberty to highlight and change the color of one sentence in the quote above. Surely Keystone would not "sneak and use something they warn you not to use, eh?

Now that said, if you are not the original owner (if you are and this is your first roof inspection, then you need to be extra vigilant as you're likely to fina a "real mess" up there. And, if anyone else (other than the factory) has performed maintenance on the roof membrane in the past, then all bets are off as to whether they were "responsible enough" to use the correct sealants.

BTW: Your roof is EPDM (not TPO) and you can find the DICOR roof maintenance handbook for RV owners here: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:40 PM   #5
JBM3M

John, how can one identify which type of roof coating they have?

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:27 PM   #6
Dm01

Thank you for your reply. I am second owner and the only repairs were done by me around the vents with non silicone based sealent.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...dpm-or-tp-roof

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Straight from Dicor:

In my experience, EPDM is gray-white with a rubbery texture like a weather balloon, while at least the more recent TPO roofs from Keystone appear to be more plasticized and "flocked" with subtle horizontal and vertical fibers. But if your previous owner treated them with any type of surface coating, like Heng's, all bets are off without inspecting the underside as shown in the video.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Take down the roof vent trim in the bathroom exhausts fan vent (4 screws, one in each corner). You'll find the roof membrane was "cut in an X and stapled to the vent support frame"... Pull the staples from one of those membrane flaps. If it's the same color on both sides then it's TPO. If it's black on the bottom with a white top surface coat, it's EPDM. Some "very early TPO had a gray felt backing". That backing felt was in 2011-2012 era, but only on SOME TPO, not on all TPO. All the TPO used by Keystone after about 2013 is the same color on both sides and in most of the Keystone brands, after 2014, all the roof membrane was "TPO with no felt backing"... I don't think Keystone used any EPDM after 2013 or 2014 on any travel trailer and none used on any fifth wheel after 2015.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:18 AM   #10
JBM3M

appreciate that, thanks

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:55 AM   #11
Don N.

FYI...I had to have my roof completely replaced last summer because of a puncture. It was covered by my insurance. My adjuster asked if I routinely had the roof inspected and maintained. I answered that I routinely inspect the roof and do any sealing that I think is necessary. She informed me that, in the future, if I can not show PROOF that the roof has routinely been inspected and maintained, and if a leak occurs causing interior damage, insurance will most likely not cover any leak damage because the unit was not "properly maintained".
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, maintenance