Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 03:38 AM   #1
Old_Stevenick

Help needed (re: vent removal) before I go up on the roof.

Bathroom still stinks after two days of camping so it's finally time to see if the vent is clogged. Due to a funky knee my wife usually goes up on the roof to put the storage cover on, but I have to go up this time as it's mechanical work!

How do I get the cap off to see if it or the pipe is clogged? Once I'm up there I need to be prepared. Will it just pull up with some twisting or is it screwed in?

I bought a replacement cap (Camco 40595 Cyclone Sewer Vent Cover)but it seems I'd need to not only take off the cap, but the base plate that goes on the roof, which is very caulked up. Can I just replace the Cover but leave the old base plate? If not I might just put the old cap back on.

If it's clogged I'll be very happy, unclog it and hope that I've solved the problem. I don't need the Cyclone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6499.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	45233  
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:47 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The top is pressed onto tabs and there is probably a screw holding it down. The screw will be under the glob of sealant and could be a roberts head #2 or Phillips.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:50 AM   #3
Old_Stevenick

Is the screw you're talking about to hold on the cap or the base plate?

Could I just pull the top off and put the cylcone in it's place without removing the base plate and caulk? Put the new base plate on top of all of the caulk?
Old 09-25-2023, 04:20 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The screw holds the cap. There are screws that hold the base plate underneath the Dicor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:42 AM   #5
bobbecky

When our bathroom starts smelling bad due to the sewer smell, I just toss some Odorlos down the sink and run water to get it into the tank. This usually solves the problem.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Black-Ta...SABEgJQUvD_BwE
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
Old_Stevenick

I have another thread about the stinky bathroom, and I have done everything suggested there except check the vent. If the vent isn't clogged then we'll probably sell the camper. I've sealed the toilet, mega cleaned the tank, changed our tank chemical, filled the toilet up with water before going #2 and probably a couple of other things. Bathroom still smells horrible after just 2 days of using it.

I am very much hoping to find a nest or other clog at the top of the vent, and if not will be running water down it and probably using the water hose as a snake to unclog it.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
notanlines

A. Keep us up on your progress.
B. Be careful!!!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
Don77

I had the same problem on an older (now gone) TT and I removed that cap and put a 1 1/2 in ABS Tee on with window screen over the openings with Tywraps and smell was gone.
I think those caps don't let enough air in and put of the tanks.

Don
Old 09-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #9
Old_Stevenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
A. Keep us up on your progress.
B. Be careful!!!
Thanks. Going up on Thursday. Will install the Cyclone vent cap.

Cyclone on Amazon

Didn't have these problems last year, so it's not just the design of the cap, there must be something clogging it (I hope.)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:21 PM   #10
TXiceman

First place to check is the air admittance valve (AAV) under the bathroom sink. To see if that is the problem, place a small plastic bag over the AAV and secure it with a rubber band. You can get a replacement at most hardware stores.

AAV
Old 09-25-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
Old_Stevenick

New one for me so I just researched it and found a good article and YouTube video on this. Link to article.

It's not gray tank smell it's definitely black tank. The smell is clearly in the bathroom, and when I smell the sink and under the sink there is no smell there.

This started after only 2-3 days of camping, no showers, so the only water in the gray tank was from hand-washing and dishwashing

Nice to know about this and thanks, but dollars to donuts says this is a black tank issue.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
TXiceman

The Dometic 300 series of toilets are known for having leaks between the ceramic bowl and base that is not visible from the outside. When my Dometic 310 starts with the smell it is headed to the dumpster and I am putting in a Thetford.

Ken
Old 09-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #13
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The Dometic 300 series of toilets are known for having leaks between the ceramic bowl and base that is not visible from the outside. When my Dometic 310 starts with the smell it is headed to the dumpster and I am putting in a Thetford.

Ken
The vast majority on this and other sites will vehemently say just the opposite. ijs
Old 09-25-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
bobbecky

The 300 series was recalled due to the leaking and smell. The 310 was the replacement for the 300. We've had a 310 for almost 10 years now and it has never had a problem. I replaced our crappy Thetford with the 310.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 01:04 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
New one for me so I just researched it and found a good article and YouTube video on this. Link to article.

It's not gray tank smell it's definitely black tank. The smell is clearly in the bathroom, and when I smell the sink and under the sink there is no smell there.

This started after only 2-3 days of camping, no showers, so the only water in the gray tank was from hand-washing and dishwashing

Nice to know about this and thanks, but dollars to donuts says this is a black tank issue.

If you're smelling black tank only and you did all those things toward the black tank, what was "sealing the toilet"? They can definitely stink up a bathroom is they start leaking internally - and you can't make it go away doing those other things.

Your signature shows a 2018 Bullet. Does it have a Thetford toilet in it? If so have you pulled it off the floor? They are prone to interior leaks and get AWFUL. I always pull a Thetford and install a Dometic 310 and have had great results. Pulled the Thetford out of this trailer when it was new because of past experiences with them. I will say this; when you pull it up and find that leak inside...DO NOT carry it to the dumpster and just tilt it over to put it inside....just don't do it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:50 PM   #16
Old_Stevenick

How can I tell what brand toilet it is? it is plastic, not ceramic.

Looking at images online and it looks like a Dometic. I'll have to crawl around tomorrow and look for a sticker with model number.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:55 PM   #17
Old_Stevenick

re: "what was sealing the toilet"

I oiled the black closing thing. It holds water so it is sealed there. I caulked around the floor where the toilet meets the floor.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #18
notanlines

“ On the back side of the Dometic toilet there will be a label with part numbers and model info listed that you can check out to determine what model you have.”
The caulking of the commode seems to be the proper thing to do. HOWEVER, if it is leaking between the toilet, the foam donut, and the floor plate you will never know it until your floor is rotted out a year from now. The system is designed to be caulk-free.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:17 AM   #19
Old_Stevenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“ On the back side of the Dometic toilet there will be a label with part numbers and model info listed that you can check out to determine what model you have.”
The caulking of the commode seems to be the proper thing to do. HOWEVER, if it is leaking between the toilet, the foam donut, and the floor plate you will never know it until your floor is rotted out a year from now. The system is designed to be caulk-free.
Hopefully not! I that was the case how does the smell get into the bathroom? There has to be an opening, and the only one I know of is covered in a little water except during flushing.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:32 AM   #20
Old_Stevenick

It’s a Dometic 300.

Tags
roof, vent