Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2023, 06:45 AM   #1
b1pig

Roof sealant questions

Yesterday on the way home, I saw the plastic strip that covers the screws on the aluminum trim had come loose and was flapping around. After I got home, I got on a ladder and tucked the trim back in... and found a screw backed almost all the way out at the top. Seems like that's what pushed the insert up and allowed the air to catch it, blowing it out of the trim. While fixing that, I saw that the 3-4" wide patch where the roof covering meets the front facia of the camper is gapped. Meaning, it looks like someone ran 4 fat wide runny beads of sealant (Dicor?) The beads aren't straight and there are some gaps between them in a few places.

Being that I don't want a leak to START... I'm curious if it would be worth it to get some Dicor and fill the gaps. This came to mind because some of the sealant that ran against the top of the aluminum trip where the insert came loose also had some sealant on the edge of it that was stretched/broken.

It was getting dark last night, so I didn't take a pic of it. Just really sort of thinking out loud. Not sure if it's worth putting more sealant on that or not. I don't have a leak now, but I also don't want to overlook a potential problem.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Canonman

Mine was the same way where the roof met the front cap. The more Dicor the better IMHO.
If you want, put down some EternaBond tape then Dicor over that to be double sure.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I would explore that screw that backed out. Typically the screws Keystone uses don't back out in one location and the other screws remain tight in the same location. So, either that screw didn't hit anything under the molding or maybe it's been "wicking water down the threads for a while and the wood under the screw may be rotted. Look at the threads on that screw to determine if there's any rust or corrosion on the screw that might give you an indication of previous water exposure to the screw threads.... Maybe there's nothing there, but if there is a problem and you just "reseal the old sealant" you may end up masking a problem....

I've seen DICOR self leveling sealant "smeared over way more surface area than necessary. Sometimes I get the impression that rather than climb off the roof with a half full tube of sealant, some people (yes, even at the factory) will look for a place to "deposit the remaining sealant" so they climb down with an empty tube.... So, lots of "roof sealant" seems to not be doing much more than taking up space.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
b1pig

The screw didn't appear to have any corrosion on it. Not even on the head of the screw. All of the screws down the trim didn't seem to be loose. I didn't try to put a screwdriver on any of them. Again. Wood under there... who knows how tight/stripped the screws could be. If it ain't obviously loose, I'm leaving it alone.

The one that was loose turned in pretty easy, but had some resistance. Did snug up once the head faced against the trim. I might pull it out and put some sealant down in there. Sure it could be masking a problem, but right now there is no sign of the sidewall delaminating and no discoloration on any of the trim inside. For now, I'm gonna bank on there not being a developed leak as of yet.

Something I'm aware of and watching for, though.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof