Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Kerrychaisson

2008 raptor generator issues

Onan 5500 carb. keeps gumming up, replaced twice. Any permanent fix for this.
Kerrychaisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
MarkS

Try sta-bil? Empty gas tank and run out generator at end of season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Something you may want to consider, if you have year around access to your Raptor. I run my generator once a month year around under load. Good time to top off batteries, etc.. Unfortunately our Raptor two gas tanks have no drains in them, at least that I can find. I still add some stabilizer since most times I am hooked to full service camp sites
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To the OP,

I see that you're in South Louisiana with 100% humidity most of the year. The problem you're having affects every small engine owner, regardless of the location of the engine. It's Ethanol supplementation of the fuel. The Ethanol attracts water, the water settles to the bottom of the fuel tank and the fuel pickup draws it into your engine. The same happens with water/sludge in the carburetor bowl. Using "RED" Stabil will help prevent separation of the water/ethanol for about 60 days. Using "GRAY" Stabil will extend the time before separation for about 6 months.

REMEMBER !!!!! Once the fuel is separated, Stabil will NOT correct the problem. So, treat fuel when it's fresh, not when you get ready to store your RV, lawn mower, generator or ?????

An alternative solution is to simply not use "ethanol enriched fuel". Many areas call "100% gas" by different names. Here it's called "recreational fuel", in some areas it's called "marine fuel" and in other's it's simply called "premium, ethanol free fuel". Search marinas and gas stations around the area, I'm sure you can find gas that's "Ethanol free". I'd suggest you use that, even though it's a bit more expensive, for all your small engine equipment. Since I started using "recreational gas" in everything, I've had no carb failures in any equipment. That goes for tillers, lawn mowers, generators, chain saws, string trimmers, etc. Whether it's a 4 cycle or a 2 cycle engine, I've had no problems in over 10 years with any small engine damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
rnkburg

If you can find the marine stabil by all means use that one. It does a much better job and has a much better shelf life for the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Jeepshots

In my opinion, your best bet is non-ethanol gasoline with PRI-G stabilizer. PRI-G will keep your fuel stabilized for up to 5 years. You have to treat it every year, but they claim a 5 year max, although longer stabilization has been realized. It's great for LONG LONG term storage. Second choice is Seafoam. It'll stabilize for about a year, and you get the added bonus of cleansing actions of the detergents. Stabil works for short term storage. Again, you'll realize best results using non-ethanol gasoline.

To answer your question, use Seafoam in the gas for the generator to clean out the varnish/crud. Although I wouldn't advise it, I have seen some people run it straight - smokes like crazy but cleans like no other.

Personally, I run Seafoam once a month in my gasoline TV. I also pour it into the oil crankcase about 100 miles before I change the oil. And I use a premium synthetic oil, Royal Purple. But that's probably more than you wanted to know...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
dcg9381

Agree with the above. Non-stabilized fuel craps out a carb around here in a matter of months. I *always* stabilize the fuel with Marine Sta-Bil.. Not saying that PRI-G isn't better.

I will seek out non-Ethanol fuel where available and I'm willing to pay more for it. I stabilize on top of that.

Pilots seek the fuel you're looking for as "MoGas" - there are a few maps on the internet of where to find it (non-ethanol unleaded).

In a pinch and for some motors, I run 100LL (Aviation fuel) which is designed to set for much longer periods of time. It'll produce slightly less power and some motors like it more than others. It's also more expensive, but I've never had a carb gum up with it.

Seafoam, in my experience, will not do much for a carb that's crapped up. Your existing crapped up carbs can be rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing - usually starting with replacing the idle and main jets....
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Kerrychaisson

Yes to both. Even drain carb every time after running.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Kerrychaisson

I have tried all above suggestions and still generator will not run.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Kerrychaisson

Any other suggestions or fixes?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Jeepshots

Sorry, but it sounds like you're gonna have to tear into the carb again and make sure the jets are clear and clean. Wish I had a better answer. Perhaps someone else will chime in with better info/suggestions.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
Rabidd

Have you changed the fuel filter?
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
RaptorDog

Just went thru issue with generator where it would run 20- 30 min and then shut down repeatly. Treated gas, changed filter at carb, and finally bought new fuel pump, prefilter to pump and eliminated filter at carb. Generator now runs great and as long as I need it to. New fuel pump was answer for me. 07 Onan 5500 Gas Good luck.
RaptorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
dcg9381

Thanks for providing an update on what solved it for you!
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Rick52

Not to be a jerk, but, if you have an rv with a generator you need to have a plan to run it at least once a month for a few minutes. It's one thing to treat the gas, but the mechanics of the engine need to work and circulate oil into the engine bearings and cylinder walls. If you leave your lawn mower in the garage for a year without starting it you're going to have problems. The generator on your rv is a very expensive piece of equipment an should be treated as such.
Rick52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, raptor