Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
pmcmath

Heater Problem

Ran out of propane this evening and grabbed another cyclinder.....from the grill and put it online. Not heat....tried to run but nothing. Ran up to the store and exchanged it out and tried that to no luck. Stove works fine cause I tried to light that and it came right on and stayed on. I can hear the igniter from outside but the heat is not getting warm. I only have one side of my dual regulator which is auto connected. Any thoughts???
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

If the stove is working then you have gas running in system. Just may not have the gas run thru to the heater yet.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
jsmith948

We need more info. How old is the trailer? Have you run out of propane before? If you didn't properly turn open the valves, you may have activated the safety valve that is located in the 'pig-tail'. On our Cougar we had problems with the auto switch over and ended up replacing the pig-tails which solved our problem. If you do a forum search, I think it was Festus2 that posted detailed instructions.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
pmcmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We need more info. How old is the trailer? Have you run out of propane before? If you didn't properly turn open the valves, you may have activated the safety valve that is located in the 'pig-tail'. On our Cougar we had problems with the auto switch over and ended up replacing the pig-tails which solved our problem. If you do a forum search, I think it was Festus2 that posted detailed instructions.

Ok...here is info....2014 Fuzion 371 purchased last Sept new. Hooked it up and pulled it to the dealer. When I got there we fired off the heater and it worked perfectly fine. Two causes he gave me was that sometimes through construction of the coach a piece of debris could have got close to the ignitor. That was one....the other could have been battery 12V not being fully charged. I stay hooked to shore power all the time. My light was solid in the converter but when I disconnected the power and hooked back up it went to flashing. Never did check the battery but it could be something with the shore power verse being hooked to the truck? Not sure....currently after one afternoon and complete night heater is still doing its job.

I must say that these Fuzions must be well insulated as to I have checked it numberous times and the heat is never running but holding steady at 60 degrees with temps in the teens. Very impressed so far. Auto Regulator was working fine. My thoughts are something stopped the battery from getting fully charged on shore power but I could be wrong. Oh and yes I have run out of propane before.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
jsmith948

Yes, the ignition circuit is 12v and, if your battery isn't charging, your furnace will not work unless it is getting 12v from either the converter (when hooked to shore power) or from the tow vehicle. I mentioned the gas flow because the safety device will allow you to run a stove burner (giving you the indication you are getting propane) but won't allow sufficient gas for the furnace to light. Glad you have narrowed it down to low voltage. Now you get to investigate why you have an undercharged battery? Good luck..isn't rving fun?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
pmcmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Yes, the ignition circuit is 12v and, if your battery isn't charging, your furnace will not work unless it is getting 12v from either the converter (when hooked to shore power) or from the tow vehicle. I mentioned the gas flow because the safety device will allow you to run a stove burner (giving you the indication you are getting propane) but won't allow sufficient gas for the furnace to light. Glad you have narrowed it down to low voltage. Now you get to investigate why you have an undercharged battery? Good luck..isn't rving fun?
Come to think of it it was not the battery. I only have one and I cranked my generator in the middle of all this to see if that made a difference. So cancel the battery issue. So we really havent narrowed the problem yet lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
jsmith948

Well, what I have learned from this forum is you need a sufficient volume of gas, 12v power to run the fan and power the ignition circuit and the control board, and the sail switch has to be functioning so the control board knows that the fan is running. You might do a forum search. There have been several threads regarding furnace malfunctions. Hopefully One of the more expert members/moderators will jump in. John?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
bobbecky

I would suggest keeping both tanks connected to the system, using the auto changeover regulator to change tanks, thereby not running out of propane. You may also want to have two batteries, but that shouldn't cause the 12 volt problem. What may be the problem with the 12 volts could be a loose connection, so be sure all the connections at the battery and all the way to the converter are tight. With the auto regulator working, a quick glance every so often will show when one tank is empty, which gives you the opportunity to get the empty filled, and not having the lines run out of gas.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
pmcmath

Thanks folks....