Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
lesleyinky

Advice for camping near Atlanta

We are heading to the Atlanta area the first week of April (from Kentucky) to visit some friends that are there due to an extended hospital stay. We want to be close enough to the city we can drive over from a campground to spend one evening visiting.

I booked four nights at Stone Mountain as it seems fairly close and at first glance seemed to have good reviews. Now that it’s getting closer I made the mistake of reading more detailed reviews and I’m worried it may feel like we are staying in the middle of an amusement park?[emoji85] and some comments say they charge you every time you leave the CG and come back on property....sigh - I will look into that.

I realize for every good review you will have the bad as well. However, in the past I have also ignored reviews and took chances only to wonder why I didn’t listen!

Anyone that’s been there have any thoughts? Or possible suggestions of other CG? There are other things we want to do in Atlanta so it’s not as if we just want to be at Stone Mountain doing activities there the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Slowdown

I-285 around Atlanta with a travel trailer behind my truck. I would need a stiff drink after that adventure. I would camp north of the city and drive in for the day to visit. I live 35 miles west of Atlanta, been there hundreds of times in cars and trucks, but when I take my travel trailer out I do my best to go around the city.
Slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
texas-traveler

Have stayed at the stone mountain park campground. Amusement side of park was not a problem. Climbed mountain and enjoyed park while there
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
rush2112

Stone Mountain Park has all kinds of different sites to choose from. The sites near the playground and directly behind check-in are nice, but if you are there when it's busy and good weather you will have the kids out front making noise. Most all the other sites in the woods are quiet. Some are tight, some unlevel, and lots of trees. Make sure if you don't have slide toppers you sweep off the tops before retracting.

You pay to enter the park but with your camping pass you don't have to pay every time you re-enter.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
XTeacher

Stone Mtn Park is probably your best bet, unless you want to stay at a Corp or State park north of the city. Semi-close are Corp campgrounds Victoria Campground and McKinney Campground. Stone Mtn has both full hook ups and water/electric. The Corp/State campgrounds have water/electric. Which hospital? That may help me give you better recommendations.

Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive through Atlanta during rush hour, which is from 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m.-7 p.m. It's a nightmare (ATL traffic's always a nightmare, but these times are especially awful). We live south of the city, and I don't know how people deal with this every day! We had to drive out of the city today during rush hour - ugh!
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
lesleyinky

Advice for camping near Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTeacher View Post
Stone Mtn Park is probably your best bet, unless you want to stay at a Corp or State park north of the city. Semi-close are Corp campgrounds Victoria Campground and McKinney Campground. Stone Mtn has both full hook ups and water/electric. The Corp/State campgrounds have water/electric. Which hospital? That may help me give you better recommendations.

Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive through Atlanta during rush hour, which is from 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m.-7 p.m. It's a nightmare (ATL traffic's always a nightmare, but these times are especially awful). We live south of the city, and I don't know how people deal with this every day! We had to drive out of the city today during rush hour - ugh!

Thank you so much for the tips!! I️ think we are definitely going to stay at Stone Mountain now but the information on traffic sure helps!

This is the hospital. DH is great at mapping things out but he’s not looked at it closely yet to see best route for getting there from the CG.

And a little PSA to anyone reading. Reminder to always be aware of the hazards of snow sledding. Our dear friends’ ten-year-old son had an accident sledding on Jan. 13th resulting in a traumatic brain injury. He spent weeks in a coma and is now trying to relearn and recover as much as possible while at this children’s hospital.

These friends are avid campers and enjoy traveling in their own Cougar fifth wheel. In addition to everyday normalcy, they are hoping his recovery will allow him to get back to camping as he’s always loved it so much!

lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
XTeacher

Prayers for this child - he is in the BEST hands at CHOA!! Great doctors, nurses, and therapists at this hospital. We have a profoundly handicapped, now adult, son, who was diagnosed at CHOA Egleston (a sister hospital nearby), and we can't sing its praises enough. Stone Mountain isn't super close, but may be your best bet, especially if you want full hookups. You will have to battle I-285, every Atlantan's nemesis - a necessary evil for many living in the area.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
rush2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyinky View Post
Thank you so much for the tips!! I️ think we are definitely going to stay at Stone Mountain now but the information on traffic sure helps!

This is the hospital. DH is great at mapping things out but he’s not looked at it closely yet to see best route for getting there from the CG.

And a little PSA to anyone reading. Reminder to always be aware of the hazards of snow sledding. Our dear friends’ ten-year-old son had an accident sledding on Jan. 13th resulting in a traumatic brain injury. He spent weeks in a coma and is now trying to relearn and recover as much as possible while at this children’s hospital.

These friends are avid campers and enjoy traveling in their own Cougar fifth wheel. In addition to everyday normalcy, they are hoping his recovery will allow him to get back to camping as he’s always loved it so much!

Since you are going to that hospital you may want to stay at the campground below. Miles wise much closer.

Twin Lakes Park & RV

3300 Shore Dr, Cumming, GA 30040
(770) 887-4400

https://g.co/kgs/66Aj3B

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
lesleyinky

Well we ended up staying at Stone Mountain after all and it was pretty nice. The site we were on was pretty crammed in, but we made do and had a nice time. Stone Mountain itself was great fun to see! We drove into Atlanta yesterday (def NOT while pulling the TT) and traffic wasn’t horrible since it was a Saturday. The World of Coke Museum was a great way to spend the rainy day. More wonderful camping memories in the books!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5021.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	15926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5013.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	624.0 KB
ID:	15927Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5017.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	707.2 KB