Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Stevensondrive

Trying to decide between Passport 2670BH and Cougar 29BHS

I've never owned a camper before. But I love the outdoors. Deer hunting in Illinois brings me happiness. our son will turn 4 this summer. He also loves the outdoors. We recently rented a cabin just to prove to the wife that she'd enjoy it too. She had a blast! I really think the Passport would meet our needs but that Cougar is pure luxury. King bed, auto leveling kit, much better set up for TV viewing on rainy days. I think we would all be more comfortable in it. I think my 2013 F150 Eco with tow package would handle either one fine. But the weights make me nervous.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Steve
Stevensondrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!! I am positive your wife will love camping in either trailer.

IMO the 29bhs is stretching your 1/2 ton. With a gvw of 8200 that is on the outside limits of what I would put on a 1/2 ton. The Passport on the other hand comes in at less than 7000 lbs. and would be much easier to tow. You didn't give your payload/carrying capacity (on the sticker inside the driver door). That will also give you some additional guidance.

The tongue weight of the Cougar could approach 1200 lbs. and your payload could be a significant limiting factor. The Passport should be less than 1000.

The Cougar is 34' long which can be a handful with a 1/2 ton in wind, passing trucks etc.

Check the weights on the truck and you can post them here and folks will chime in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You might be interested in this thread. It mirrors your question, the answers run the gamut from "you'll be OK" to "Nope, it is pushing too far".... Interesting is the OP's comment found near the end of the thread, after he tried, pretty much what you're wanting to do, and his final decision, even after adding all the "extras" including a $2500 hitch that's supposed to "make up for all the shortcomings".....
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28829

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Stevensondrive

A coworker had the identical truck as me and had this camper. No problems
Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Both are nice but the Passport is better suited for your truck. Enjoy the new memories you'll make with your family. If you do the cooking your wife will love it even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Stevensondrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Both are nice but the Passport is better suited for your truck. Enjoy the new memories you'll make with your family. If you do the cooking your wife will love it even more.

Thanks for the kind comments

Did she tell you to say that? Lol
Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!
The Passport is more suited to a half ton. Don't look at the hype in the truck advertising brochures. Instead you need to look at your trucks b pillar stickers to see what your capcities are. Could your truck pull it, most likely. Will it be the most pleasant experience? Who knows. Many have done it and then moved to a larger truck. You'll be the only one who can decide if you are safe enough for your family and if the towing experience is satisfactory to your expectations. The advice on here so far is spot on. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Tbos

Based on personal experience. I am blessed my wife loves camping. She likes it more when I cook.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Stevensondrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might be interested in this thread. It mirrors your question, the answers run the gamut from "you'll be OK" to "Nope, it is pushing too far".... Interesting is the OP's comment found near the end of the thread, after he tried, pretty much what you're wanting to do, and his final decision, even after adding all the "extras" including a $2500 hitch that's supposed to "make up for all the shortcomings".....
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28829

I appreciate the link. Read it. He took his rig across the country. I'm staying local. As in within an hour or 2. Illinois is pretty flat and like I said coworker had identical set up with no problems.

I guess no one has feedback on comparing the 2 models...... That's what I was hoping for
Old 07-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Trying to decide between Passport 2670BH and Cougar 29BHS

Best advise I can give anybody considering different units is this:
Sit in each, imagine you, the wife and kid(s) stuck inside due to weather,Is there enough room to be comfortable? What you were cooking and your other half needed to get by, again enough room?

In the end, if price point and size aren't a factor, floor plan is very important. Good luck in your search and let us know which one you get.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
Stevensondrive

Thanks Chuck. The problem is no one has one near me. I need to plan a road trip......
Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensondrive View Post
Thanks Chuck. The problem is no one has one near me. I need to plan a road trip......
Those kinds of road trips are the best kind! Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
BuxCamper

We looked at a camper with a king bed and found the bedroom area cramped as a result of it.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensondrive View Post
We spent 3 years looking before we bought our current fiver. We drove up to 2 hours away "just to look" at what was available lots of times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
rubenhank

I just took delivery of a 29BHS. Love it! The main living area is great. The kids (young adults) love the bunks. It is awesome! No regrets. The only minor complaining that I could bring up is the king bed in the room gets a little cramped (sleeping in it is great though) and the toilet is a little cramped for me. I am a taller guy and find it best to side ride the toittie...

I tow with a RAM 1500. It has a capacity of 9300 or so. I have a permanent spot, but it towed just fine for the half hour trip there. I got 10.5 mpg. I will be taking it on a 4 hour trip in the next month. I am hoping for no wind. I am in Nebraska, so not many large hills here either...

Let us know how it goes.
2014 Ram Laramie 3.92 Axle 5.7 Hemi
rubenhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
rubenhank

Another thought is to take the TT for a test drive. I imagine that most dealers would let you do that. Head for the steepest hills in the area and get on it!

P.S.: I need to update my signature. Get rid of the "almost". That was when I was waiting for the touch-ups before taking delivery...
2014 Ram Laramie 3.92 Axle 5.7 Hemi
rubenhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Mandolin

We have a walk-around queen and have actually thought about cutting it back to a double for a little bit more space.

We tow a Hideout 21FQWE (4,100 lb shipping weight) with a 2013 F150 V8, complete tow package, 3.73 rear. Fully loaded we are a good 2,000 lb under the rated tow weight and around 1,000 pounds under the truck's GVWR (checked on the scales).

We tow pretty light, no water in any of the tanks and we are not filled to roof with stuff - and we are pretty much at the limit I am comfortable with. On the other hand, we live on the west coast and frequently go over the mountain passes, a good 5,000+ feet in elevation change.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
Stevensondrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenhank View Post
Another thought is to take the TT for a test drive. I imagine that most dealers would let you do that. Head for the steepest hills in the area and get on it!

Since we will hafta also buy a special hitch that they'll need to install I kinda doubt they'd let me do that. But it'd be nice......

Tags
passport, cougar