Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Global Driver

Bearing repack

Howdy all!

Bought a lightly loved Passport 28BH. Not sure the last time the wheel bearings were cleaned and repacked.

Local dealer wants $250 to do it.....any leads on this task?!?
Is it as easy as it appears and I can save $250
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Driver View Post
Howdy all!

Bought a lightly loved Passport 28BH. Not sure the last time the wheel bearings were cleaned and repacked.

Local dealer wants $250 to do it.....any leads on this task?!?
Is it as easy as it appears and I can save $250
There are a lot of folks on here that are going to be able to help on your question. I have mine done by my local tire dealer (that does all this other stuff daily). I pay $120 for them to come to my barn, remove the wheels, pull the bearings, clean and repack (or replace if necessary). I used to do all that stuff on all my units but things have gotten a bit problematic; it's really heck to get down and just as bad to get up. With advanced arthritis and 7 knee surgeries I just let them do it. $250 sounds pretty high to me for a simple task.

Sorry, and yes, pulling, cleaning and repacking bearings is not hard....just gotta be able to squat in front of the wheel as you work on it. I think there are videos that show the process if you want to try it. Again, if I could, that's the only way to go.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You can do it for about 1/4 the cost. You need to know the seal size, and then get 4. Get 3 cans of brake spray.

Take a drum off, look at the shoes, if no cracking and there is a dent amount of shoe left, just spray and clean with a good rag. Take the seal out, inspect the bearings and races. If you don’t see any “bluing” your good. Clean everything up, pack fresh grease into the bearings. Put a slight coating of grease on the spindle and put it back together.

Pay attention to which “slot” on the backing plate has access to the adjustment star. Put the wheel back and and adjust the shoes. Using a brake spoon grab the star and PULL DOWN to tighten the shoes. Wheel should spin 1 1/2 turns and stop. Another method is to turn adjuster until wheel is locked up and then back off 5 clicks.
FWIW $250.00 for tandem axle was our price until last month.
I’d bet there is a You Tube video.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Bmackr6

Piggybacking off this thread.....
How many miles should the service interval be?
I have a 2016 260TBWE with a tandem axel I bought new last March.
I have only towed it about 2000 miles so far.

I also have little zerk fittings in the center of my hubs it looks like.

Very new trailer maintenance, I’m dangerous enough with my vehicles though lol.
Bmackr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

DO NOT use the zerks. You won’t know how much grease your pumping in, and risk pushing grease past the seal, coating the shoes, drum and magnet. Then the brakes won’t work. I would do them once a year if your towing the trailer about 5K miles/yr. more or less depending on miles of use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Bmackr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
DO NOT use the zerks. You won’t know how much grease your pumping in, and risk pushing grease past the seal, coating the shoes, drum and magnet. Then the brakes won’t work. I would do them once a year if your towing the trailer about 5K miles/yr. more or less depending on miles of use.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
I really appreciate the advice!! Glad I asked because would have just used the zerks.
Bmackr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I just did my boat trailer dual axle with disk brakes. 18 bucks for a wheel bearing grease packer, 4.50 for each seal, I got 24 bucks of grease and 10 bucks of rags and towels. Took about 4 hours, I take my time. U tube has a bunch of sites. Not hard just dirty work. The TT will be next week. I plan on buying a spare bearing and seal set to fix on the road if needed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #8
Dave W

Once you know the seal size, you can order from someplace like etrailer. Theirs are identical to the very expensive Dexter and are probably made in the same Far East factory.

I don't care much for brake cleaner but if the existing seals have leaked past, it will be a necessity.

One 3-4 buck can, one pound of grease will usually do the job unless you purchase an inexpensive Lisle bearing packer, then a tube and a half. Dig down in the Dexter website and you will find their recommended grease. I use Mystik® JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2 which Tractor Supply sells. Virtually any other with that spec will work (https://www.mystiklubes.com/Product....ategory=GREASE)

Dexter says every 12 months or 12,000 miles to check and service brakes and bearings, The 12 months is probably to conservative for most RV users but 12,000 miles is about right. These bearings are really pretty small IMO, for the kind of use in a fairly large trailer when you consider that many much lighter weight, though older, cars used identical pieces and their packing interval was usually 12K miles or yearly too.

Cost of DIY 20-30 bucks with seals, grease and a roll of paper towels. Brake cleaner will add a few more bucks and the job will take a Saturday afternoon.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote