Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
micktaylor

30 Lb LP Gas Tanks

After bringing my Cougar 5th Wheel 276RLS from storage and arriving at our first campsite could not get any LP gas to our appliances. Have replaced regulator to no avail. The two tanks were replaced last year and worked okay. It seems that no matter how tight I tighten the line going into the gas tank there is no gas releasing from the bottle. When I release the lines there is a quick release of gas. I have tried turning the valves on and off very slowly again to no avail. It would appear that there is a problem between the connection at the gas bottle. Both tanks have been filled recently. Has anybody else experienced this problem? HELP!! Mick
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Mick, If the tanks were laid down or bounced while transporting the internal valve may be stuck. Call your local l.p. dealer for instructions to correct the problem.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
mohead1

The "new" style tanks (w external threads) can be a sob to line up and tighten sometimes....you have to get the hose just right to hit the valve and allow gas to flow....try that first...ensure good connections.
Loosen up the line at the regulator, slowly bleed some gas, see if its flowing there. Close it up, and tighten. Now make sure the valve (tank switch lever) is lined up to that tank. Loosen that line slightly and check for flow. If all is good then the supply is good. Do you get green indicator at the regulator w one or other tank opened and the switching valve turned to corresponding tank?
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Pull Toy

+1 ^^^ for Hank

Also, if you open your valve(s) too quickly, especially in cold or warm and humid weather, your check valve(s) may freeze. Gently warm them up with warm water, and try opening them slowly....

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Undo both pigtails from the cylinders. Then take the switchover valve and rotate it back and forth a couple of times.

Then attach ONE of the pigtails to a tank. Rotate the switchover valve to indicate your drawing from the tank your hooked up to and look at the indicator. If it’s indicating that your drawing from the tank (green) then put the other cylinder on, attach pigtail and open slowly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Local150

I had a some what similar problem last winter. I took both tanks out 1 day to have them both filled, then hooked them back up ,, but got nothing. I bet unhooked the tanks 6 or more times. Finally I must have got them perfectly aligned or something because I finally got gas coming out. Just what happened to me. The old style tanks were not that way but newer style have a different type of valve I was told
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
micktaylor

We're currently in a 2-day rain event (South Carolina) so thanks for your suggestions and will try them as soon as able. Purchased these tanks last year and yes, these new tanks are not as user friendly as the old ones. Thanks again, Mick
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
The "new" style tanks (w external threads) can be a sob to line up and tighten sometimes....you have to get the hose just right to hit the valve and allow gas to flow....try that first...ensure good connections.
Loosen up the line at the regulator, slowly bleed some gas, see if its flowing there. Close it up, and tighten. Now make sure the valve (tank switch lever) is lined up to that tank. Loosen that line slightly and check for flow. If all is good then the supply is good. Do you get green indicator at the regulator w one or other tank opened and the switching valve turned to corresponding tank?
New Style? Been using these for at least 10 to 15 years. I find them much easier to line up and connect (right hand threads), and I am a lefty.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
New Style? Been using these for at least 10 to 15 years. I find them much easier to line up and connect (right hand threads), and I am a lefty.
That’s for sure! I still have the aluminum wrench. We have a couple of small cylinders we use for bench testing furnaces, and I have to remember “reversed” threads.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
mohead1

They are not reverse thread...i have used these on my rv for many years now....if the cone on the hose, w the o-ring, doesnt line up just right and hit the check valve while tightening, no gas will flow. Its not rocket science, its a basic propane tank
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Local150

I say new style,, at my age I guess 10 or 15 years is new style lol. I remember when they first came out hooked one to what I call a flame thrower at work and the new style would only create a small flame,, the old one made 1 H of a flame
Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
mohead1

Yah....for awhile they still had the internal threads too along w the low flow or whatever type, so i cud run older burners and such
Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
They are not reverse thread...i have used these on my rv for many years now....if the cone on the hose, w the o-ring, doesnt line up just right and hit the check valve while tightening, no gas will flow. Its not rocket science, its a basic propane tank

The “inside” threads are reversed. If you have the “original” style hose it does thread into the tank backwards from what is considered “normal.

That style of fitting is still being used on motorhomes with propane tanks. Trailers use propane cylinders, and can be connected in either fashion.

Difference between a tank and cylinder:

Tank is considered permanently affixed to coach and is made to ASFME standards, NOT subject to recertification.

Cylinder is held in place but can be removed. Made to DOT regulations and subject to recertification every 10 years.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
mohead1

[emoji106] exactly...
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
Jmongeau

No gas from bottles

I know this is going to sound crazy, however, I had the same issue until a kind gentleman at the camp site walked by and asked what the problem was. I explained I had refilled the bottle (took very little and got charged a complete fill up), changed out the regulator but still got no propane he politely said, drain the oil out of your propane line. To which I replied "how the H... would I get oil in my propane line. After some further explanation I did what he said disconnecting at the lowest point and at the tank then blowing through the line and much to my amazement about a 2 inch long snot worm of congealed oil came out. Put it all back together and worked perfect. Hey, it's worth a try.
Jmongeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
mohead1

Qow...never heard that one before....interesting
Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
Local150

Lol you are right sounds crazy,,,,, but hey it worked. Never heard of that but will remember that
Old 12-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Local150

Search posts on here,, just read this morning on here,, a guy took the hose loose and blew air through it and a ball of " snot " came out. Put it back and works fine
Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
takpak

Propane issue

'Tis true. I had this happen once as well, except in my case it wasn't in the line, it was in the furnace solenoid valve. Oil had migrated to, and filled up the valve, and wouldn't allow propane to flow. I guess we all need to remember that, unlike natural gas, propane is a derivative of the oil cracking process, key word being "oil"...! Even though you wouldn't think so, there is a "wee bit' of oil in propane. And in low flow/volume systems, it can settle out. Another reason not to lay down/tip over a propane cylinder, is the gas is drawn off the top of the tank. The oil would normally settle to the bottom and not be a problem. However, if you lay it down, or it tips over, the oil is going to be "sloshed around" and may wind up at the valve, being drawn into the line. If one does tip it over/lay it down, a good idea would be to let the tank set upright for a day or so, to let the oil migrate back to the bottom of the tank.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
apachewolf

Last summer we were in Yuma and tried to use our Q-Weber and a free standing 20# tank. Did not work. We tried everuything and finally went to LOWEs and got a new one. Wee n' behold this did not work eitehr. Turns out I was using an external propane gauge and that did not allow the flow of gas. Removed the gauge and it worked. We ended up keeping the new grill and donated the older grill to a church group at the CG. Yes that propane can be very finicky.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank