Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #41
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
only difference is the red dye that identifies it as "tax free fuel" and makes it illegal to use on the highway system (except for some farm licensed vehicles).
Here in Texas even with farm tags they are not to use off road diesel in their pickups, the authorities have been known to stop at cattle auctions & farm sales & check fuel tanks on pickups with farm tags & if red they leave a healthy citation.
Regarding fuels & small engines, the new ethanol blended gasolines are very hard on small engines that don't consistently burn a full tank of fuel or stored in a gas can, you need to always add a fuel stabilizer to those tanks & cans.
I apologize in advance to any on farmers on here, but the ethanol for fuels was just another market for corn crops & DID NOT help fossil fuel consumption, actually lowered vehicle fuel mileage, 10% ethanol = 10% less mpg. Not to mention the ethanol is a real PITA for fuel suppliers, if you've ever had a bottle of honey & it sat for a while & starts to crystalize, that's ethanol stored, even the small amount in your lawn mower or gas can.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #42
Bamacamper

When we travel with the camper we always use the truck lanes, it is faster in and out. I also respect the truckers and make it an effort to be out of there way.
Bamacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #43
dtoulmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstedman View Post
I just traded in my 2014 F150 for a 2018 F250 Super Duty with a diesel engine. My question is, when filling up at a truck stop can I pull into a fill up lane where the truckers get their fuel? I am pulling a Cougar Xlite and I have seen people with diesel engines fill up at the auto pumps. Also, is the diesel fuel the same type for the big rigs as it is for my truck.
Just took a trip to Myrtle Beach and back over 3km. We looked for truck stops and used them if available. Only used a regular gas station once going down and that called for some close maneuvers around cars and gas pumps. We had no issues using truck stops. We did carry some spare fuel just in case and needed to use it once during the two week trip.
dtoulmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #44
JeeperMark

Diesel Fuel

I've been using the truck pumps when I have my 38ft 5th wheel hooked up. Truckers don't mind and are even helpful. The large fill spout fits nicely in my Silverado 2500HD fill tube as well as my 50 gallon Trsnsfer Flow AUX tank. I usually fill at full speed (flow) until it clicks off then I reduce the speed to top it off. Also, there are so many truck pumps/lanes at the stations they are rarely full. I found using the car pumps can be difficult as the area around them can be difficult to maneuver in and out of.
JeeperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #45
Bignewsantafe

Yes, but watch out for the grease, you'll track it all over that new truck!

Bignewsantafe
2016 Alpine 3100RL
2015 GMC 2500HD SLT
Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
B&W Trailer Hitch
Bignewsantafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #46
CaptnJohn

I only use the truck lanes when the 43' 5er is hooked, and then always do. I prefer Pilot/Flying J as using their card is 9 cents off ( GS Elite) and do not get a bill to send a check in, just withdrawn from my checking. My last stop in Kingsland GA the Pilot was 2 cents cheaper with my card than BP and Shell across the street I could not get into anyway. Pilot/Flying J issues the RV Plus card and adds rewards as well so they are happy to get our money. If a bit higher at the pump it is worth it for the convenience and besides my last trip I only burned about 280 gallons, not going to break me. Besides, wifey can walk the dog, go in and get sandwiches/snacks or etc while I fuel and pull forward. Rest rooms are always clean and I took a 3 hour nap in their parking area once. Not to mention they are close to the interstate exit ramps and not having to go into town and traffic to save a few cents. Love the truck pumps!
DEF at the pump is very convenient and fresh. Easy as the nozzle goes in the Ford tank beside the diesel fill, not under the hood.
Never had a trucker upset as I am in and out of his way quickly.
Truckers now must know states like MA have the license tests in many languages as I have come across 2 that did not speak English. I had 1 shrug, smile and say 'Pakistani'.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #47
Howler

Fine in California for using red diesel is $10,000 per gal of fuel regardless of how much fuel you had in your vehicle when you put the red diesel in your tank.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #48
louielouieohoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
Ditto ...

B20 D Fuel and a nozzle for DEF. Those of you not using DEF dont know the pain of using 1 gallon bottles to fill your 5 gallon DEF tank.
louielouieohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #49
Badbart56

I hauled RV's commercially for a summer after I retired from law enforcement. I tried to avoid the truck stops just because they were charging .20-.30 cents a gallon more for diesel than the independent stations were. That may not seem like a lot but when your monthly fuel bill is $19,000.00, the pennies count. Never had an issue when I did use the truck stop though. Just pull your rig up when you get done so the next rig can pull in. Having DOT numbers on your truck gives you some validity though I suppose.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #50
fmitzen

You can, but you will get to pay more in tax, the pumps are very high speed, the nozzles won't fit into your pickup fuel tank.
fmitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #51
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
Same here for Flying J/Pilot. I always use truck islands because you know you will always be able to get in and get out without worrying. Pull in, fuel up, move forward, pay. I have a Wright Express card which is usually always accepted at the pumps. We then usually pull into one of the parking spaces to use the potty, walk the dog (WATCH OUT FOR TRAFFIC), and make lunch. Never had an issue with truckers, but our stops are usually early afternoon, so there are always lots of empty spaces.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #52
saturn450

Fuel

I got a bigger fuel tank so I can avoid the truck stops. I drive all day unhook and go into town and get fuel. By the way it’s usually 10to15 cents cheaper a gallon than the truck stops.
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #53
goodellj

I always use the truck lanes when I am towing or need DEF.
I top off my DEF every few thousand miles, especially when towing, and DEF at the pumps is a lot cheaper per gallon than buying it in a container.
I specifically got an RV Plus card for Pilot-Flying J so that I would not need to go in an leave my card. I got ripped off once that way. I also get a discount off the posted price.
I get better fuel mileage with P-FJ fuel than from a discount station, sometimes 3 mi/gal better.
Pull ahead when you are done so your pump is free for guy waiting behind you. I also take a lot less time because I 'only' have a 40 gallon tank. You can still get a receipt but you have to go inside, and you can use the automated kiosk rather than standing in line.
I agree about the high-flow nozzles, and I slow it down to avoid spills.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #54
mhbell

In Arizona

In Yuma Arizona at the Flying J I was told not to use the Truck pumps only the RV pumps unless I wanted to pay some kind of road tax on top of the listed price on the pump. so I always use the RV pumps.
Mel
Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #55
Surferbill

When ever I am towing I use the big rig lanes. Just be courteous and pull forward when paying. I have a 40 ft 5th wheel 2017 F 250 diesel.
Surferbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #56
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmitzen View Post
You can, but you will get to pay more in tax, the pumps are very high speed, the nozzles won't fit into your pickup fuel tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
In Yuma Arizona at the Flying J I was told not to use the Truck pumps only the RV pumps unless I wanted to pay some kind of road tax on top of the listed price on the pump. so I always use the RV pumps.
Mel
You must have an older truck if the nozzles won't fit. My '05 & '13 both will take the big nozzles.
As to the tax, I think someone was blowing smoke up your dress, yes they are usually more expensive, but not due to any extra taxes.
We usually always park, unhook then drive into town to fuel up & generally save .20-.30 cents per gallon over the truck stop prices, you pay for the convenience of being close to the highway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #57
johnlewis

The truck lanes usually have a large nozzle, since the pumping rate is high, to fill over the road trucks quickly. My 2012 Ram 3500 has a fill spout large enough for these nozzles. My friend's 2013 Ram 2500 doesn't have a large enough fill spout. Might check this.
I agree with others. I only use the truck lanes when I have no choice.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #58
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
The truck lanes usually have a large nozzle, since the pumping rate is high, to fill over the road trucks quickly. My 2012 Ram 3500 has a fill spout large enough for these nozzles. My friend's 2013 Ram 2500 doesn't have a large enough fill spout. Might check this.
I feel sorry for your friend. Our 1999 Dodge 2500 CTD had the large fill and we always used the truck lanes. So Dodge managed to go backwards over the years? Or did a line worker just grab the wrong diameter fill for his particular truck during assembly....

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #59
sonofcy

My truck (F450) holds enough fuel that I only need to top up once a day. We go to the campground and unhitch. While I trundle off for fuel my better half sets up camp. MUCH easier that way. Of course, since it's an F450 it holds 48 US Gals, 183 Liters or 40 Imperial Gallons.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #60
Badbart56

Even my 97 would accept the large truck stop nozzles.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel