Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
anthonbloom

Dometic 2852 blowing 3 amp fuse

I opened the fridge door and the light was off and the "Auto" light was also off. Pushing all the buttons, nothing seemed to be alive so I checked the 12V 15amp fuse on the main panel and the breakers, but all seemed OK. I went outside and pulled the screen panel to the back of the fridge and removed the circuit board cover. There I discovered on the lower left a 3 amp fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and pushed the on switch, and the "Auto" light came on......for about 30 seconds....and then the 3 amp fuse blew again. Three fuses later I had figured out that the fridge would work on LP, but the 12v circuit was being overloaded whenever I put it on "Auto".
I had added an LED bulb to the fridge light because the bulb filament had become detached at one end and would only work with gravity making the connection with the bulb rotated in the right direction. I soldered the LED onto the bulb because I couldn't find a replacement locally, and it worked fine. As a precaution, I removed the bulb, but the fuse still blew. a Google search suggested to me that I may have a dead short in the 12v heater, so I went looking for that. Having located it and traced the wires back I found a bracket holding the wire has fallen off and the wire was lying on top of part of the evaporator tubing that was quite hot. Furthermore, the wire lead was folded double and covered with a woven plastic material where this bracket supported it. I have no idea what this is unless it is some kind of thermostat, but I reattached the bracket to the place from which it fallen off, and checked that the 12v heater was connected. Pulling off the lead and replacing it made a clicking sound, presumably the same solenoid i heard when replacing the fuse. I went back inside and pressed the button, the "Auto" light came on and stayed on. I removed my makeshift LED (drawing too much current?) and replaced the bulb, rotating it until it stayed lit and the fridge is working fine.
I'll take credit for the repair, but I would like to know what I did to fix it, to be prepared for next time. Incidentally , the replacement fuse (#6 ) is kinda short, but it is all I could find on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere and it the correct amperage/voltage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_122505.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	18042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_152053.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	18043  
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags