Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

For those asking for help, this is the reason I always try to ask what's happening, what has "happened" and what have you done etc. Putting heat on the tank and having melted wires are something that folks sitting "out here" have no idea about and basically keep looking for answers in a logical sense without knowing what the poster has done to precipitate the problem. Full disclosure when looking for an answer to a problem is paramount.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #42
Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
You should have a Atwood water heater and they do have a 12VDC control circuit. It is a quick look up on the internet. From what you describe there is a short in the wiring from the switch to the WH or a shorted relay on the WH. If you disconnect the white wire on the WH you can isolate the problem from the wiring or the unit.

The heating unit is 110VAC

Hope this helps

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...S%204.9.09.pdf
I had similar issues on my 26 Ft Cougar. Took it back to the dealer and they found the voltage drop but no apparent reason for it. After contacting suburban directly, the tech pulled the heater unit out and found that the electrical connections at the rear of the unit had not been properly tightened and were shorting out. We were fortunate that we did not have a fire. I would suggest not using the electric on the heater until it is repaired.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #43
Benji00

My best guess is that the electric heating element has a short to ground. It is relatively easy to isolate the heating element. 1. Make sure that your 110 volt power to your camper is off. 2.Disconnect the wires at the heating element. 3. Make sure the wire ends do not touch anything--electrical tape if you want to be cautious. 4. Now test to see if switching on the electric to the water heater blows your blue fuse (with 110v to the camper still off). If it does, the problem is in you wiring, and not the heating element. 5. If it does not blow the fuse, turn on the 110v power to your camper and try turning on the electric to the water heater again. If the fuse does not blow, then replace the heating element.
-------------------
My guess is that you have a short in the element. With the wires to the element disconnected, you should not have any resistance between either contact where the wires attach and the body of the water heater. Heating element replacement is one of the easiest and cheapest things to do.

If element ends up being good, next best guess is that the problem is either in the 110v switch or the wires between the switch and the water heater.
Benji00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #44
schrambo

Hi we have a 2013 Cougar and we just gave up on the electric. We just use the gas. Turn it on only when we need hot water. Heats up quickly!
schrambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, heat, heater, water, water heater