Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Thinking of possibly doing this for the first time in 2019 or 2020.
Likely would plan to spend the entire week.
It looks like "camp Scholler" would be the way to go, but I am having a hard time finding info without being an EAA member.
We could do a week without hookups, as we are self sustainable.
Any other recommendations/tips from any experienced AirVenture campers would be welcomed.
TIA
Sign up for an EAA membership. You'll get discounts on the admission tickets that make it worth it.
Camping at Camp Scholler is "as you come". There aren't too many bookable sites. There is everything on site, showers porta potties, a couple of grocery stores and food. They run a shopping shuttle bus into the local shopping centers periodically, but I've never used it. If you camp, it would be good to have your bicycles along as it's a bit of a walk into the show (about 1/2 mile) and the buses and trams can be a bit spotty for timing. Also, bring a fold up chair to sit on to watch the airshows and fireworks. Bring a blanket for the little ones to stretch out on. Don't leave before Sunday morning or you'll miss the great fireworks on Saturday night. Don't even think about leaving on Saturday night after the fireworks, the traffic ...!!!

There is a free movie most nights at the open air theatre and they give out free popcorn and ice creams.

Camping is the BESTEST way to do Oshkosh! We did it last year and are returning next year. See you there!!!

This is a video we made of our trip last year. There's other places we went as well as Oshkosh that might give people some ideas. Oshkosh starts around the middle of the video if you want to skip the other stuff. I was fortunate enough to have a DW who gave me a ride in the B-29 Fifi for my birthday.

https://youtu.be/gjH9otEhIWI
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #22
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Sign up for an EAA membership. You'll get discounts on the admission tickets that make it worth it.
Camping at Camp Scholler is "as you come". There aren't too many bookable sites. There is everything on site, showers porta potties, a couple of grocery stores and food. They run a shopping shuttle bus into the local shopping centers periodically, but I've never used it. If you camp, it would be good to have your bicycles along as it's a bit of a walk into the show (about 1/2 mile) and the buses and trams can be a bit spotty for timing. Also, bring a fold up chair to sit on to watch the airshows and fireworks. Bring a blanket for the little ones to stretch out on. Don't leave before Sunday morning or you'll miss the great fireworks on Saturday night. Don't even think about leaving on Saturday night after the fireworks, the traffic ...!!!

There is a free movie most nights at the open air theatre and they give out free popcorn and ice creams.

Camping is the BESTEST way to do Oshkosh! We did it last year and are returning next year. See you there!!!

This is a video we made of our trip last year. There's other places we went as well as Oshkosh that might give people some ideas. Oshkosh starts around the middle of the video if you want to skip the other stuff. I was fortunate enough to have a DW who gave me a ride in the B-29 Fifi for my birthday.

https://youtu.be/gjH9otEhIWI

Thanks!

The wife and I watched your video from beginning to end.
Looks like you had a great trip!
We visited Savannah this past fall as well, and so were interested in your pictures, as we saw some of the same sites.
We stayed on Hilton Head Island, which was a nice motorcycle ride from Savannah. We visited Charleston N.C. from there as well, which was worth the trip also, if you get back to the area.

I will take your advice and sign up for an EAA membership, should we decide to go for sure, and I am really leaning in that direction now!
Hopefully we can get together and enjoy a refreshing beverage .

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #23
FlyingAroundRV

We have a Keystone forums sticker on the hitch on our trailer. We will be camping in 101 woods if we can get a spot. If you come across our rig, give us a knock on the door, or leave us a note about where you're camped and we'll organize a meetup. We plan to get there the week before the show.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 12-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #24
Harleydodge

Same here. Forum sticker on the front storage door and at the rear.
Maybe we'll see you there. I'll update this thread if/when we book.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
jsm180

If you plan to stay the whole week you might want to look into the full hookup sites. I have been there in temp ranges from the 40's to 100's. There are always the inconsiderate ones that run generators 24/7 in the quiet area so you can't leave windows open at night. Also eliminates the need to dump tanks and fill fresh water depending on your tank size. Reserve early because they go fast.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #26
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
If you plan to stay the whole week you might want to look into the full hookup sites. I have been there in temp ranges from the 40's to 100's. There are always the inconsiderate ones that run generators 24/7 in the quiet area so you can't leave windows open at night. Also eliminates the need to dump tanks and fill fresh water depending on your tank size. Reserve early because they go fast.

Thanks for the tip.
FHU would be nice, but not mandatory.
We have been to several Nascar events that are "rough camping" in much the same environment, so we know what to expect.
In fact, we plan to attend the race at Michigan International raceway the week after Oshkosh. That's what got me thinking about going in the first place, as it's only a day trip away.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #27
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
And if you can't get a FHU site, not to worry. They have a truck that does the rounds to empty your tanks. That is what we'll be doing while the show in on (if we need to). Most likely, we'll only need our grey tank pumped. We'll be using the onboard FW tank only for washing dishes, and drinking bottled water. We have a generator to recharge the battery. Last year when we were there, we didn't need the air conditioner.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 12-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #28
notanlines

Harley, keep in mind that your day trip to Michigan Int'l is a hard 450 mile trip, leading you through Milwaukee and Chicago both. If you are towing I recommend leaving Oshkosh about 3AM, full of fuel and two thermoses of coffee. After that drive, you and DW will be in bed that night at about 8:30....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #29
Frank G

Can you Ferry the RV across Lake Michigan? Just a thought.

Just googled it, yes you can, about $6.00/ft.

http://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-fares/
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #30
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post

We did that last year on the SS Badger. It's a brilliant trip!
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #31
Harleydodge

Quote:

I looked into it also.
As a side trip, it looks interesting, although it would save us in mileage only, as it's about a 5 hr trip across the Lake, plus the "sit time" waiting and loading/unloading.
We might do this on the way to Michigan from Oshkosh as a way to avoid "Sickcago".
Also, the fact we need to leave Fido in the truck by himself for 5-6 hours doesn't sound too pleasant to the the DW either.(he can't be on the travel decks and we are not permitted to stay with the vehicle)

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:20 AM   #32
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Harley, keep in mind that your day trip to Michigan Int'l is a hard 450 mile trip, leading you through Milwaukee and Chicago both. If you are towing I recommend leaving Oshkosh about 3AM, full of fuel and two thermoses of coffee. After that drive, you and DW will be in bed that night at about 8:30....

I agree.
That distance is a little longer than our "Comfort zone" allows.
We will be at our leisure though, as we will have lots of time to arrive at MIS, and may spend an overnight someplace if the drive gets to be too much.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #33
Frank G

Quote:
I looked into it also.
As a side trip, it looks interesting, although it would save us in mileage only, as it's about a 5 hr trip across the Lake, plus the "sit time" waiting and loading/unloading.
We might do this on the way to Michigan from Oshkosh as a way to avoid "Sickcago".
Also, the fact we need to leave Fido in the truck by himself for 5-6 hours doesn't sound too pleasant to the the DW either.(he can't be on the travel decks and we are not permitted to stay with the vehicle)
Fido always wins! At least ours do. It is just me but I avoid Chicago at all costs, I would take the northern route, much more relaxing. An VR'ers paradise.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #34
Harleydodge

Quote:
Fido always wins! At least ours do. It is just me but I avoid Chicago at all costs, I would take the northern route, much more relaxing. An VR'ers paradise.

Thanks for that!
I had not even considered the "northern route" but after mapping it out, it looks to only be slightly further to go around that way and may very well prove to be the nicer drive.

(We cross the border at Sarnia)

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #35
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
I looked into it also.
When we were there last year, I don't recall seeing a single dog at Oshkosh. Being an airshow, they might not be allowed in.
EDIT
I just looked up the policy on bringing pets to the airshow.
FYI They are here.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ler/guidelines
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #36
Steve/

Thinking about going this year (2019). Trying to figure if there is enough going on to be entain for the whole week? The fireworks are a must for DW. We would be dry camping.
Is it even possible (traffic) to use your own car to go into town?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #37
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
Thinking about going this year (2019). Trying to figure if there is enough going on to be entain for the whole week? The fireworks are a must for DW. We would be dry camping.
Is it even possible (traffic) to use your own car to go into town?
Last year when we were planning to go, the DW kept repeating "Do you mind if we don't stay the whole week?" I said that's OK (happy wife, happy life). We got there three days early and there was no more mention from the DW about leaving early. Mind you, she's not an airplane nut like I am, but she is my navigator and permanent passenger when we fly our Outback trips.
WRT going out in your own car: the entrance/exit to the campground is separate from the main show entrance. It is quite easy to get into and out of the campground during the show. We did it several times last year on shopping trips with some friends. You will have a sticker on your windshield that allows you to bypass the queue getting back in.
EDIT:About the entertainment. There is a flying display every day around 2pm. There are seminars on all kinds of topics, some really great, some kind of meh. There are concerts in the Ford concourse (the main intersection at the show area). There are free movies at night with free popcorn and icecreams (bring your own seat). There are airplane displays, military and civilian, there are hundreds of parked private airplanes that you can walk among. If you make the right connections, you might be able to get a flight in an ultralight. There are joy flights in warbirds. There are traders who sell all sorts of things aviation related and not. Then there is the fireworks: on Wednesday night and Saturday night. There are helicopter joy flights that fly over the show area continuously except when there is a flying display on.
Yep, there's plenty to do there.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #38
Steve/

Thanks, we like planes.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #39
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
When we were there last year, I don't recall seeing a single dog at Oshkosh. Being an airshow, they might not be allowed in.
EDIT
I just looked up the policy on bringing pets to the airshow.
FYI They are here.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ler/guidelines

Thanks, I had missed that.
Our old Black Lab is pretty good at being left on his own for short periods and is our travel companion. He'll be fine.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #40
Steve/

I think I saw somewhere that a Bicycle would be nice, It looks like it is a Prohibited Item, Is there a place at the admission gates to lock up a Bicycle.
Or is the Campground inside the admission gate?

Here is a copy of Prohibited Items.

Prohibited Items
Save yourself time and hassle by leaving the following items at home, in your car or at your campsite, as these items will not be allowed through the admission gates:

Coolers larger than 12 x 18 inches
Beer, wine, liquor or any other alcoholic beverage
Firearms, fireworks and explosives
Knives with a blade length of more than 4 inches
Pets, other than service animals
Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, “Razor” style boards, Segway personal transports, or any other self-propelled device (except that the following are allowed: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).
Oversized backpacks

Tags
vent