Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Kayaker_Bill

Towing Travel Trailer with kayaks

Not sure where to put this but it has to do with towing a travel trailer.
So here goes I am towing a Keystone Passport Elite 19RB from the Camper box to tongue hitch is 3 ft 7 inches. The center of the Ball is 1 ft from the back of the truck. Now on the truck, I have Thule Racks with my kayaks on that, normal when towing the trailer I move them forward. My question is how much clearance do I need from the back of the kayaks (or stern if you want to get nautical lol) to the camper box below is a link of how I been doing it question is do I really need to that much, or how much clearance do I need. I am trying to keep On the back two racks and not all 3

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=5618

[email protected]
ACA Coastal Day Trip Leader lev2,
Wilderness First Aid Afloat certified
2016 Silverado 2018 Keystone Elite 19RB
I Never Get Lost...I Always Explore!
Kayaker_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
travelin texans

I don't know that anyone could give you an exact number in feet & inches, not sure if there's others on here with your exact setup.
I'd jack knife the combo as far as possible & check from there. I'd guess if the kayaks are fairly centered on the rack you could get nearly 90 degrees.
The setup looks good & secure with plenty of clearance using all 3 racks, is there a specific reason for not continuing this way?
As with rv weights, trucks capabilities, payloads, DO NOT take others opinions, check for yourself.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Kayaker_Bill

Thank You Travelin Texas

I thought it was a slim shot that someone would have or had a rig like mine it was worth a shot though.
The reason for it besides its a pain to do because normally not towing I have the boats over the back 2 bars and not the front bar. Second, I just brought a new boat and the 2 back racks sat just below the roof of the truck with the new boat that would sit directly on the roof. So I had to raise the Bed Racks now the front roof rack is to low. So I ended up having to raise the last rack in the back of the bed.

It just seems the boats swing in front of the camper and don't touch if boats were farther out to the side they would hit. So I was curious if I am over thinking it or overdoing it. and being by myself it's hard for me to see for sure
I do appreciate the response and I know wit was going to be one of those questions lol

[email protected]
ACA Coastal Day Trip Leader lev2,
Wilderness First Aid Afloat certified
2016 Silverado 2018 Keystone Elite 19RB
I Never Get Lost...I Always Explore!
Kayaker_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
cavediver

I can't tell you what you need to know, but I have three boats 12' 14' and a 16' . I have a short bed GMC. I have a third rack that can go on the cab. If I have to I'll put it on so I can move the boats forward.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, travel trailer