Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
51ferguson

Snowbirds heading north

It looks like a lot of the snowbirds are flocking back north, I was on I-75 south bound today for less than a 10 mile stretch. I witnessed at least 30-40 travel trailers, motor homes,and 5th wheels all going north in that short time I was on the interstate. (I was just south of Tampa) I hope you all enjoyed your stay and wish you all a safe and happy trip home.
Billy
51ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Tbristol

Not me. Still to cold up north. I will remain here in Arcadia until at least April.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
gearhead

I wonder...do they "winterize" their up north houses? Turn off the water, set the thermostat down, etc.??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I wonder...do they "winterize" their up north houses? Turn off the water, set the thermostat down, etc.??
We set the heat at 50 degrees, turn the water off, kill the power to all non essential devices, and then get the heck out of WV before the snow starts falling!

Sometimes I feel a little guilty since we have a couple friends who look in on the house once and awhile, and forward our mail to us, but I get over it fairly quickly ........as I'm reclining in the Arizona sun.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Tbristol

Same here. Put the heat on 50,turn off water, and all breakers that aren't needed. And say good bye to cold Michigan. Our mail is automatically forwarded to us.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I'm still seeing folks heading south on I75. Maybe the cooler than normal weather in northern Fla. is making people migrate further south.

I turn off my water, winterize toilets and traps, set thermostats at 50, forward mail, set some timers for LED lamps, let the neighbors park in my driveway so house looks occupied and don't think about home until the lawn needs cutting in early May.

Oh! I do have security cameras that I check regularly mostly to remind my neighbor to clear all the snow from his windows before driving safely in the snow. Forum rules will not allow me to repeat some of the replies he sends me. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
concours

Same here except I turn off the water and blow out the lines so if something should freeze the lines in the walls will remain intact. when we return home the house has always been just as we left it except for the Deer eating the Cedar hedges
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Eastham

We leave the heat on .have a system that will call you if the power goes out and tell you the temperature in the house it will continue calling until the problem is corrected or you reset it also have a friend check on it once or twice a week has worked out ok so far but i think we are just lucky with so much that could go wrong.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote