Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
DLfuzion

Gelcoat and furniture protection

Has anyone else been talked into having this done to your new 5th wheel or camper? I had it done to mine. Is it a big scam or does it work and keep your unit looking nice? I have a feeling I wasted more money.
DLfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
DLfuzion

cleaner

Oh, I just ordered this off Amazon. Has anyone use it and is it a good product, it had good reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaner.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	16330  
DLfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you do a search for gelcoat protection you'll find several threads on it. Most thought it was not a good investment IIRC. Only time and your experience will answer your question for you. What most found is that they still needed to wax. Still needed to wash. Still needed to maintain.

As for the wax, cant help with that. Be sure to post a review and share what you learn.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Don't know how much you paid for it (including the finance charge if added to a loan) but back when I purchased new it was more economical to buy a can of 3 M Scotch Guard and pay someone to wax the exterior every year for the 5 yrs. I did the waxing myself so saved me a lot. Search this forum and you will find several discussions on the topic.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
RaptorJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLfuzion View Post
Oh, I just ordered this off Amazon. Has anyone use it and is it a good product, it had good reviews.
Oh yeah, this stuff is awesome and found this when I bought my 1st RV back in 2015. Been using this ever since and on all my rides.
Follow up with Aero Cosmetics when you dry and you'll a nice shine.
Curt Q24 5th Wheel Hitch Slider
RaptorJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
travelin texans

Had a friend that had it done & within a year all the white gelcoat turned yellow & stayed yellow regardless of what he washed/waxed with.
I do use Pledge furniture polish on all my slide seals & all seals throughout as recommended by the factory techs, much cheaper than the so called rv seal conditioners, but do not use on the gelcoat.
Mix equal parts of Mcquires Gold wash & Turtle Wax Zip wash & this gives a clean shiny finish & dries nearly spot free.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
gearhead

I bought it, well the wife insisted, and my 5th looks terrible.
It's my own fault though. I washed it regularly but once it started oxidizing it went downhill. I haven't even bothered to talk to the dealer about it. I should, and need to talk to them about the disintegrating leather on the furniture, the kitchen slide that needs rollers, and the "never have to wax it" issue.
I'm pretty sure what the answers to those issues will be.
If I was going to do it again, buy the protection package, I would have a long sit down talk with the service manager. Be exactly clear on what you have to do to keep the warranty in force. Be very clear. Then take it home and read it many times before you sign it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote