Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Wes Dalton

Help with two questions

I purchased a 2010 Raptor RP 300MP10 5th wheel toy hauler Last fall. It has been a great trailer. Last year when I winterized it both of the low point drain valves when I opened them gravity drained the fresh water tank. This year for some unknown reason to me, they do not drain, I have to turn on the water pump and then it pumps the water out. Is that normal? If not where would I look to solve the problem? Question two. My Dometic Refrigerator quit working on LP. When I check into the problem, the wire to the electronic starter was broken. I repaired that and it works fine. There is a blue wire in the circuit board that isn't connected to anything. It is called a protective earth wire the wiring diagram shows it as P 1. It has a round female connector to plug over a terminal, but I can't find anything there to plug it into. I will try to attach pictures for clarification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You in advance for your help. ps in the picture the blue wire looks like it is attached, but it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mother board.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	18934   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	18935  
Wes Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
gearhead

Might be dirt dobbers in the water drain.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure I understand the situation. Last year you only opened the hot/cold low point drains and it emptied your fresh water tank??? I've not ever seen anything like that. There should be, or always has in my experience, a drain for the fresh water tank. It (fresh water tank) isn't connected directly to your water lines except via the water pump. I don't know what happened last year but what you are describing is the way you would attempt to empty the fresh water tank if you did not open the drain.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

The only way the fw tank can drain by opening the hot and cold low point drains is if the pump is running. I would suspect it was on last year and you did not realize it. When you open the low point drains water will drain very slowly unless you open a faucet to let air enter the pipes.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
bobbecky

It might be possible to drain the fresh tank with a low point drain if the rig has a valve that allows you to fill the fresh tank while connected to city water, and you just happened to have the valve turned to fill, which would connect the fresh tank to the system, bypassing the pump. That's a lot of 'ifs', but maybe that's why you did it once but it didn't work this time.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Wes Dalton

Thank you all for your reply!! I will ask my Camping World service tech that has worked on my trailer a few times to see what he says.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
It might be possible to drain the fresh tank with a low point drain if the rig has a valve that allows you to fill the fresh tank while connected to city water, and you just happened to have the valve turned to fill, which would connect the fresh tank to the system, bypassing the pump. That's a lot of 'ifs', but maybe that's why you did it once but it didn't work this time.
I guess anything is possible but that valve is a lot higher than fw tank and would require quite good conditions for siphoning.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess anything is possible but that valve is a lot higher than fw tank and would require quite good conditions for siphoning.

I'm just looking at our rig, where the convenience center is located in the drop frame section of the trailer and the fresh tank is at the rear in the higher area of the frame, so the water tank is close to level or even a bit higher than the drain valves.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I'm just looking at our rig, where the convenience center is located in the drop frame section of the trailer and the fresh tank is at the rear in the higher area of the frame, so the water tank is close to level or even a bit higher than the drain valves.
Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info. The ones I've seen were higher. I stand corrected.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #10
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Dalton View Post
There is a blue wire in the circuit board that isn't connected to anything. It is called a protective earth wire the wiring diagram shows it as P 1. It has a round female connector to plug over a terminal, but I can't find anything there to plug it into. I will try to attach pictures for clarification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You in advance for your help. ps in the picture the blue wire looks like it is attached, but it isn't.
Dunno if you were still looking for 2 cents here or not... Protective earth is a fancy word for ground; it's a grounding wire for safety purposes. If you want to connect it, fasten it to any metal surface on the rig.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
dblanch57

The first year you could have drained your water heater by the low point drain. It does a wonderful job in most trailers.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Wes Dalton

Thank you very much. I'll get it connected to a ground right away.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

I think that blue wire is actually a test point to be used by Dometic fridge service people. If it's working without the wire connected to anything, leave it as it is (if it aint broke...) My fridge also has a wire coming out of that plug in a similar position and it is labelled "test" in my docs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Wes Dalton

Thank's for the information. My fridge is working fine. I'll leave as is until it has a problem
Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

On my Raptor 300 MP those low point drain valves are much higher than the Fresh Water Tank. The only way to drain the Fresh Water Tank using the low point drains would be to run the pump, thereby getting water out of the fresh water tank into the Raptor water source piping then out the low point drain.

I have a Norcold frig
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote