Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
tamorgan

"Prepped" for rear view camera

My new Sprinter came "prepped" for the rear view camera feature. Can anyone tell me what this means? It has what a appears to be a camera on the rear of the camper. Does this mean that all I need is the monitor that goes inside the truck? And advice on how to hook up/install would be greatly appreciated (or direction to a previous post that explains this). Thanks Adam
tamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
busterbrown

The wiring and mounting bracket for the camera are in place from the factory. You'll have to purchase the camera/monitor combo from a retailer and install it. Most likely, the mount is for a Furrion system.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
tamorgan

Thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
fatcatzzz

Don't really know about your Sprinter, but I do know that some Montana's with rear camera prep that come with Rear camera installed and NO monitor. A picture of the back might help.
fatcatzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
John&Genny

Many of the newer rigs, such as our Avalanche, come prepped for the Furrion rear camera system such as this shown on Amazon:

Furrion Backup Camera System

I bought this same one from Amazon and it was really easy to get setup. Basically they already have the Furrion mounting enclosure so you just have to remove the camera cover, fish the wire out, plug in the camera, get it installed, and you are all set. Once I did that, I just took the monitor up to the tow vehicle, plugged it in, and I was watching the rear of our 5th wheel I did have to make an adjustment of the camera angle to get the best view of vehicle's behind me as well as when backing the 5'er into a spot.

Keep in mind there are other alternatives to the Furrion system, some with special brackets that will work with the Furrion camera mount which have larger monitor screens, etc. So do some searching on Amazon or wherever to find what's best for you
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
hexmex357

I have the Furrion camera system installed. I installed the camera in 5 min and connected to the monitor in 2 min. It took some adjustment for the best view behind the trailer. Also mine only works with the running lights on which is no biggie for me. I love that I can see if I have enough room to switch lanes in high traffic areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017Passport 2810BH
2017 F-250 6.7L Diesel 4X4
Pro-pride Hitch
hexmex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 AM   #7
tamorgan

Thanks so much for the information. I would have thought the install would have been a little more difficult. Sounds like it will be a breeze.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Mic

I'd recommend the observation camera.... Not the back up version.

Longer range and any time use to monitor tailgaters or bikes on back
Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
JAbraham03

I bought same one

I also got the observation camera since reviews talked about refresh rates when driving. Most of the time there are no issues with the stream with the observation ones. I do think the images on the website for the Furrion are misleading as mine are no where near as clear. If anyone has a perfectly clear image let me know. Only negative I have found since I hooked it into the upper running lights is that when I press the brake that sometimes the camera cuts out for a moment. Not a big deal other than when backing up you are on the brakes more often. I have it on the back of a 41' 5th wheel though which is at the limit of what they say it will do so overall can't complain. I highly recommend it, it makes backing up a little more piece of mind when having to do it alone on the blind side. Also nice when changing lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I'd recommend the observation camera.... Not the back up version.

Longer range and any time use to monitor tailgaters or bikes on back
Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Mic

Also ensure antenna are vertical to ground.. Not unit.

May take heat shrink to keep it there away from detent.

I get a nice picture
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Tinman97423

Using running light power for the camera?
Where did you mount camera?
How did you run the power wires?
I plan to do the same thing but just looking for more connecting ideas before installing.
I'm leaning towards power from center light at top of the back of my 2016 Cougar 303RLS. The camera will only work when the lights are on but that is no problem for me. I'm looking at the Furrion camera.
Tinman97423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
cfensty

My 2016 Sprinter is not pre-wired. I would like to purchase the Furrion observation camera. How difficult is it to install the mounting bracket? How do I connect the power wire?
cfensty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfensty View Post
My 2016 Sprinter is not pre-wired. I would like to purchase the Furrion observation camera. How difficult is it to install the mounting bracket? How do I connect the power wire?
If you buy the whole system, it’s easy. Choose your spot, drill a hole, fish the wire from the clearance light and your about done. I use a wire coat hanger to fish the wire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

I have an older RV with no pre-wire or such. To mount a WIRELESS camera system, take the camera out of the box and screw it onto the back of your trailer next to the center marker lamp up on top. Many of the cameras I have installed are not happy being mounted on a vertical surface so you may have to fiddle with the mount or mount it on your roof above the center marker lamp. I am not keep for drilling holes in the roof....

Next, take off the red bezel from your marker lamp next to or below the camera. Unscrew the lamp holder. You may need to cut silicon around the holder. Don't forget to silicon when you re-install. Then note there are two wires going to the lamp socket. You will need to "tap into" these by stripping the insulation and connect the two wires from the camera. On some cameras there will be another wire for audio or something and it won't be used. Your main issue will be the wires used on the camera are very very thing gauge. I generally solder these to the camera wires. Stuff the wires in the hole behind the camera. You had best test first and some require syncing the camera with the monitor. For the monitor, try and find one that plugs into cigarette lighter or whatever the thing is called these days; this is important if you are old and fat like me as getting up under the dash and into a fuse panel is not fun. Make sure your camera and monitor antennas are pointed upwards and buy a camera that has its own external antenna. Last, if you have sketchy reception, you were probably cheap and bought a no-name Chinese system. Spend a few bucks more and get a system that others have had luck with here on this and other forums. These systems are made by companies that will generally sell an antenna you screw in to the back of your camera that is on a long extension wire so you can place it forward toward your cab. Some also sell little antennas on a magnetic base on an extension wire that sit on top your tow vehicles roof. This is done for better reception.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

The furrion is designed for the rear wall and the camera has some rotation to adjust the viewing angle. Last one I installed had a clear picture from 50 feet away.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
KOZKO

I installed the furrion observation camera (unit was prepped). It works great. If I have the monitor on in the truck I still get a clear picture 200-300 feet away!

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
TedG

Good thread. I bought a Furrion camera kit and plugged it in to the prewired mounting bracket on our brand new fifth wheel and I don't have any power there. I verified the camera works by plugging it into the display power feed, paired it (the blue LED turns on), but the wiring in the back has no power. Has anyone seen this before? Am I missing a fuse or something? The inside walls and cabinets are all closed up. I have no way to trace the wires. Thanks in advance.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
travelin texans

Turn running lights on, then try again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Here is a hack for turning on running lights without your tow vehicle.

https://letscampsmore.com/running-lights-hack/
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Turn running lights on, then try again.
Sadly, I had the running lights on. I even tried reverse.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote