Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2023, 06:57 AM   #1
Unsatisfied

Unsatisfied

We bought a keystone avalanche in July. Brand new from Bish's RV in Kalispell. It has been nothing but total disappointment. Every mother board has gone out in this thing. Now the power converter has gone out. We live in this RV fulltime. Try and talk to anyone from keystone is such a joke. Yes it is under warranty but they send the parts at there convenience. I would never recommend anyone buying a keystone product.
Unsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Are you working with the selling dealership?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:45 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

For "every" bord to be defective there must be a common electrical fault or incident. Are you connected to shore power, and what's the Amp connection? 15 amp? 30 amp? 50 amp?

Do you have an EMS? A surge protector is not the same as an EMS. and is pretty much useless for electrical issues found in campgrounds.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #4
jsb5717

First - welcome aboard! Glad you found us and sorry for your issues. At some level all RV's have problems.

Second - All of the problems you've mentioned sound like they have to do with components that are built by others and common to many brands of trailers. So Keystone doesn't make those parts. Yes, they warranty what they install but those failures don't represent a Keystone quality issue.

Third - If you're not working with your dealer it's kind of like screaming into the wind. Keystone will defer to the dealer first. That's the dealer's role and responsibility...make the sale and service the product

Fourth - This is your first post and it appears that you came here to dump on Keystone as if it will do any good...here. This isn't a Keystone-run site so venting here won't accomplish anything. It can, however, get help if that's what you would like. Let us know

I hope you find solutions to the issues and have many years of enjoyment out of your new rig.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear about the problems with your new camper.

My local RV dealership sold out to Bish a few months ago. The old dealership was phenomenal with sales AND service. Although, in the last 3 or 4 years, the common thread among ALL service centers is the slow turn over to get parts. It doesn't matter what brand of camper you have, ALL of them are having the same issues. You can only be patient.

I'm still on the border line fence about the quality of Bish though. They definitely do, do things different than the previous owners of that dealership. But, they did come through with 2 of my issues so far. It was frustrating, I agree. But the old dealership would have had the same issues. Bish did come through, but their process were different than what I was accustom to. So, I'm learning to be patient with them now too. (All change is hard on everyone!)

About the electrical problems of your camper, considering so many issues developed, it does sound like you got zapped with an outside electrical power fux of some sort that hit a lot of your electronics. That is not the fault of the manufacturer or the dealership. So, if your dealer is attempting to help you on these issues, then let them, even though things are not moving at the speed you think they should. You have stepped into a whole new world once you purchase your first RV (of any make or model).

Just be patient and work through each issue one at a time, and you'll get there. Do invest in an EMS system, either portable or hard wired (Progressive Industries is a good choice from a lot of reasons. There are others, maybe some even cheaper priced, but you won't go wrong with Progressive Industries).

Good luck, you will get things resolved, just be patient, take a deep breath, and relax. RV ownership is challenging, but nothing to short-circuit and stress over.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #6
Unsatisfied

I have talked to the dealer. They want us to bring it down to them for every issue. We live in this full time
Old 12-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsatisfied View Post
I have talked to the dealer. They want us to bring it down to them for every issue. We live in this full time
It’s normal for the dealership to ask you to bring it in. Full timers take some extra scheduling, but if you’re willing to work with the service mgr/dept. it can be a positive experience.

I have been an RV tech for quite a while now and have dealt with numerous full timers. The process can be slow, but as long as both sides maintain a cordial attitude, it can end in a positive manner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
Unsatisfied

I am connected to shore power. Not at a campground either. 50 amp and yes we have a surge protector. The dealer ship said it is because it sat on the lot all winter unattended. Yes everything is under warranty but is total crap when these go out when is is 10 degrees out side
They won't put a rush order on anything. Takes about 8 to 10 days to get here. And that comes from keystone them selves
Old 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
Unsatisfied

I was told by the dealership since we can't bring it in we are on our own. Way to work with a customers
Old 12-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
I was told by the dealership since we can't bring it in we are on our own. Way to work with a customers
That was one thing I asked my "Bish RV" dealership about. The previous owner's WOULD service full time RVers (IF) the camper was purchased from them. They had a mobile tech that would go to the owner's location. I asked the previous owner about this, hoping I could finally find a reliable mobile tech in my area. But they serviced ONLY full timers and ONLY if purchase from them.

So, I saw the service original service truck at Bish and went inside the service department and asked if THEY did the mobile tech since I saw the logo for the previous ownership on the side of that truck.

They told me, yes the previous owner did that, but Bish does not. They don't service off site, even campers purchased from them. If you purchase from them, you have to bring the camper to them for service.

Now, that was about 2 months ago. So, this is not unique to the Bish nearest you. It's just their entire company policy. This is one of those things that should have been discussed when purchasing the RV in the beginning.

50% of purchasing a new camper is all about the dealership purchased and asking about the services they provide for support.

Even if you purchase a lap top computer and you have problems with it, no service technician is going to come to your house and service it. You are expected to take it back to wherever you purchased it from, OR ship it directly back to the manufacturer's repair center. If you don't send it back to "them"... yes ... you are "on your own" getting it repaired.

Unfortunately (again), learning the ropes of the RV industry is truly a trial-by-fire experience in the school of RV-hard-knocks! Once you've experienced the frustration, the next time around (and yes, there will be a next time), you know better what to expect.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
For "every" bord to be defective there must be a common electrical fault or incident. Are you connected to shore power, and what's the Amp connection? 15 amp? 30 amp? 50 amp?

Do you have an EMS? A surge protector is not the same as an EMS. and is pretty much useless for electrical issues found in campgrounds.
I agree…. since you said you have 50 amp service but are not at a campground…i’d be looking at the shore power installation for problems..
have an electrician verify the wiring and also verify that you do not have a loose neutral wire or some other problem with how it was installed
Old 12-06-2023, 03:09 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Not all dealerships offer mobile services.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Not all dealerships offer mobile services.

I've never had a dealer offer free mobile services with the exception of the very first full size RV I bought in 1985, replaced the furnace sitting at my curb. After that not again. Some have mobile services but warranty doesn't pay for the mobile service, travel time, diagnostic time etc. That is absorbed by the dealer; some will, some won't but it IS part of the game one needs to understand. I know many folks live in their RVs but it needs to be remembered they are an "R"V, as in recreational vehicle, not home. Most aren't designed to be lived in full time, life expectancies of the components of them is for occasional use over a period of years not constant use which depletes that life expectancy quickly. They are also warranted as a "mobile" unit that can be brought in not a fixed unit that can't be moved. Any services extended to anyone free of charge by a dealership with a mobile service deserves a great big thank you IMO...certainly not something that is paid for with the trailer. JMO/YMMV
Old 12-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum. I do hope that you find solutions to all your problems with your RV.

Looking to that future when you have a fully functional RV and everything is working as it should, have you given any thought to what implications your profile name could have on your posts and how it will influence your image once your problems are resolved ???

If you elect to keep the name "Unsatisfied" what image would that project for you "going forward as a forum member" ??? Is that the image you want for the future? Or, is your intent to only be an active member until you've solved the current issues, so any "future image doesn't matter" ???

If you do wish to change your profile name, contact me via PM and I can help you change to a more positive profile name, one of your choosing that reflects more appropriately "who you are" rather than "your current emotional status"...

Up to you, but realistically NOBODY on this forum can fix your problems and NOBODY on this forum has any influence with Bish's service department, whether mobile or only at their service centers.

We are a group of, for the most part, satisfied Keystone RV'ers who try to work together to help each other with owner repairs, modifications, trip planning and overall use and maintenance on our RV's. We have no ability to "fix" factory issues or dealership problems and we have no means to fix your problems either....

We welcome you as a member and can sympathize with your problems, but .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #15
Domino3665

This is a LAST RESORT option.
Ask your bank that financed your purchase to intervene on your behalf with the dealership. Chances are the bank makes RV loans to your dealership frequently and the dealership would want to keep those loans coming.
Explain your problem to your bank and that if the problems with your NEW RV can’t be resolved, you are going to stop making payments and the bank can repo the RV.

The bank does not want to be in the RV resale business. Ask your bank to communicate to the dealership that if the dealership can’t take care of the bank’s customers, the bank may choose not to do loans for RV purchases from that dealership in the future. (It’s an attention getter.)

Again, this is a last resort option.
Best of luck. ��
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #16
05Phatty

The voice of reason. Maybe 'unsatisfied' will read and heed.
05Phatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:49 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
This is a LAST RESORT option.
Ask your bank that financed your purchase to intervene on your behalf with the dealership. Chances are the bank makes RV loans to your dealership frequently and the dealership would want to keep those loans coming.
Explain your problem to your bank and that if the problems with your NEW RV can’t be resolved, you are going to stop making payments and the bank can repo the RV.

The bank does not want to be in the RV resale business. Ask your bank to communicate to the dealership that if the dealership can’t take care of the bank’s customers, the bank may choose not to do loans for RV purchases from that dealership in the future. (It’s an attention getter.)

Again, this is a last resort option.
Best of luck. ��

I would be very, very careful when threatening a lending institution about defaulting on a loan. It can have serious consequences for future dealings not only with them but other lending institutions as well. If it is made seriously it will be taken seriously and the fact you did it can become common knowledge in lending circles via credit reports etc. Also I don't know how seriously a lending bank, with hundreds/thousands of borrowers, is going to take a request that they interject themselves into a squabble an RV owner has against the maker of said RV. Unless the owner has a special relationship with the lending institution I suspect they are going to log the threat and tell him to do what he has to do as will they. I just wouldn't jeopardize my credit standing like that.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:46 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

OP hasn't logged in for over a week. Think he may have moved on and a recap of where this situation is at may not be forthcoming.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #19
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OP hasn't logged in for over a week. Think he may have moved on and a recap of where this situation is at may not be forthcoming.

Yeah, quite a few people join a forum just to vent their frustration.
Never to be heard from again.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:50 PM   #20
Theo Wellington

dealership and repair

If I buy a Ford truck, I can expect Ford service at any Ford dealership, not just the one I bought from. Most likely I would find enough differences that the service shop I like might not be where I bought the truck.

We wanted a western edition of the Keystone we bought, which meant that no way were we going back to the selling dealership 1500 miles away. Not to mention that dealerships are rebranding, getting bought etc. The place we bought from has a different name inside this year, so does the place we are having it serviced.

Weirdly, I expect warranty service at any Keystone dealer.

The difference is that I've not owned a brand new car that took a month to fix non-functional air conditioning (glacial movement by both Keystone and the repair shop, I finally had to make nice polite reminder calls to both parties every couple of days). And it still needs to go back because the ac isn't being controlled by the thermostat, we have to use the breaker to turn it off and on. (The shop tried installing a new thermostat, the heat works fine, so maybe the third trip to the shop will be the charm, provided there is actual wiring installed.)

So I understand unsatisfied's frustration. I had read enough to understand that the first year would be about fixing stuff, so here we are. Would be nice, though, if there were some pride in workmanship in the business, both at the factory and at the service departments.
Theo Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote