Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
S_Fleckio

Faulty backup camera pre-wiring

Hello all. I recently bought a furrion backup camera to hookup up to the pre-wiring to my Passport 268BH. I unscrewed the cap for the wiring, and the wires simply fell out; they weren't connected to anything. I'm not sure how to gain the access needed to install this, any ideas?
S_Fleckio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
Max23

What do u mean by the wires just fell out? The entire wire or just the one end? It is normal to have an end. All that's under that cap is a wire to wire your camera to. Need to have the lights on to get power to it though.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:24 PM   #3
S_Fleckio

The entire wire came out. Both ends, it was about a foot of wiring not connected to anything.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
Max23

What you may have to do, if you can and have a way to fish the wire is pull one of the closest running lights over it and wire to that and fish the wire to the hole it's supposed to be running to. Unless you can find a wire up in there by fishing around that you can get to a point you can attach to it. I really have no better ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in soon with something better.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
S_Fleckio

That’s what I was thinking, I just get a little nervous messing with wiring.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
drrelli

I’d be concerned that there is an exposed connection inside your camper walls, since the wire that pulled out sounds like it was pigtailed in. If you can’t fish the main wires down (and find the exposed connection), maybe a borescope camera for a phone or laptop would allow you to look up into the guts of your rig and see if there is anything dangerous.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:32 AM   #7
S_Fleckio

I doubt it was connected to anything, there was no resistance when pulled out and the wire ends looked fresh and straight, like they weren’t crimped or attached to anything ever. But your right, wouldn’t hurt to check.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:37 AM   #8
tallen

On my camper, I lowered the plastic stuff they put under the camper to hold the insulation, hide stuff, etc down a little and I could see all the wires that went to all the lights on the back of camper. Then those wires were ran to the front of the camper. Might want to see if yours is that way too. easier to fish it straight down the wall, than to try and send it over to a tail light on the side. JMHO

2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring