Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2023, 05:00 AM   #1
Stangfire

How to add a new outlet and run inverter wiring?

2013 Hideout 31 BHS. It’s a Canadian trailer with Enclosed Underbelly. New to me. Will be at a permanent off grid camp “forever”.

What I want to do is install a 1000W inverter in the basement thru storage (screwed to the side wall). Then run the battery cables down to the batteries and run the 120V power wire down. I want to install a new dedicated outlet in the entertainment unit to power the TV. So I need to fish the 14 GA house wire up from underneath though the cavity of the entertainment unit.

I will install the plug on the right hand side of the cabinet (opposite the current one).

I’m very capable of doing all this however my main issue is how do I access the underside of the trailer because it’s fully enclosed? I will need to drill a hole to get the wires though. I’m not too concerned if the wires are ran on the outside (underneath) the bottom enclosure. I can zip tie them up and they won’t get damaged as the trailer will never move. However everything else you see needs to be a clean install.

I was expecting the enclosure to be coroplast but when I crawled underneath and pushed on it, it feels more like an insulated tarp type of material. I don’t see any easy way to take it off. Should I just cut into it and make an opening and then seal it up with tape? In the attached pictures you can see the underbelly of the area below the entertainment unit that has what looks like wires going up and perhaps to the existing controls on the entertainment cabinet.

Any tips or comments are welcome. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	43609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	43610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	43611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	43612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	43613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	43614  
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:38 AM   #2
SargeW

Drilling through the underbelly is a dicey proposition without knowing what's on the other side. Things like holding tanks, electric wires, and plumbing all come to mind. I would bite the bullet and cut the bottom, at least to look and verify it is doable where you want to drill. Running the wire on the outside of the underbelly is OK, but I also recommend running it inside a piece of electrical PVC do discourage rodents from chewing on it in the future. There are several good options to reseal the belly when you are done, and since it won't be towed down the road it is even less likely that it would fall off.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Drilling through the underbelly is a dicey proposition without knowing what's on the other side. Things like holding tanks, electric wires, and plumbing all come to mind. I would bite the bullet and cut the bottom, at least to look and verify it is doable where you want to drill. Running the wire on the outside of the underbelly is OK, but I also recommend running it inside a piece of electrical PVC do discourage rodents from chewing on it in the future. There are several good options to reseal the belly when you are done, and since it won't be towed down the road it is even less likely that it would fall off.
Thanks. I defiantly won't drill blindly. I'll have to cut the underbelly to see what I'm doing them seal it up with some gorilla tape.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:41 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
Thanks. I defiantly won't drill blindly. I'll have to cut the underbelly to see what I'm doing them seal it up with some gorilla tape.
An additional layer of sealant would be recommended on the tape, knowing that tape just seems to loose it adhesiveness when it's bitter cold, which I'm sure it does get in Manitoba.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring