Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2023, 06:15 AM   #1
Lisasmith6977

Wiring

I recently got a 2011 Sprinter and have been experiencing electrical issues! I am brand new to this and don't have a lot of resources to start off with!
So, I apparently have a broken/exposed wire somewhere in here, put the
pop-out out and began having issues, examples are my bedroom outlets quit working most of the time, sometimes they just start working ie... My lamps just come on etc... So am thinking I have a loose wire to the 3 outlets and do not want it to arc and start a fire! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Lisasmith6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
DVScuba

Sounds like you have some DC power issues (slide/pop out) and AC power issues (outlets).

I had a shorted DC power line running from the remote control power module up to the main panel by the inside door. It was intermittent at first then failed completely on a 1-1/2 hour drive to a campground. Upon arrival, I discovered this short had fried a circuit breaker on the front frame of the trailer as well as the fuse under the hood of my truck for the main recharging power line running to the 7-way outlet. It also burned out portions of the remote control module. My original dealer wasn't very good at servicing the problem and just threw a new module at the trailer which did nothing to fix the original problem. In searching for the short myself, I found all sorts of questionable connections with no real protection from the elements which I fixed along the way. In the end, I gave it to a new dealer that agreed to take my warranty business. They were also unable to locate the short and agreed with me the best thing to do was to abandon the wire. Their solution was to borrow power for the slide from the power awning. I just make certain I only operate one at a time; slide or awning. So far so good.

I also just recently finished replacing all my AC outlets (off warranty), inside and out, with proper electrical boxes and real outlets like what's used in your home. Why? Because the plastic body outlets with push down crimps that your trailer is equipped with are just not reliable, especially for a house on wheels that gets used as a "Travel" Trailer. Bear in mind this was no easy task to take on and required enlarging the openings slightly to accept an 'old work' electrical box. I spent some time though, tracing each run of NMD 14/2 and drawing up an electrical circuit diagram so I know where to look should I ever experience issues again. If you're not handy with electrical however, you might want to seek some assistance. And whatever you do, make sure you have a licensed electrician look over your work or perform the work for you. I still can't believe these plastic AC receptacles are allowed in Canada at all. There is no CSA approval on them.

I understand how they have to keep the costs down and speeding up assembly during manufacturing is a great way for the manufacturer to achieve this, but some processes shouldn't have corners cut, IMO.

Next project? Reseal the roof!! Might as well protect my investment...
DVScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

All the power in your slide will come in at the bottom and normally at the front or rear corner. Your AC power will be Romex in the underbelly, and switch to insulated cable ( think extension cord) to the slide and then to a connector called a molex plug to Romex.

Your DC power will be stranded wire that is zip tied to the same bundle with the AC power cord.

Both will have connections in the underbelly, and in the slide in the corner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
dutchmensport

The first thing you should do is find your converter and flip all the breakers, then pull out each one of the automotive 12 volt DC fuses and reset them. While you have them pulled, inspect each one make sure they are not blown. I recently had issues with house lights dimming (ceiling) and when I simply touched the 12 volt automotive fuse they brightened right up. I pulled the fuse and reset it. It was either wiggled loose or electric oxidation was causing a bad connection.

So, the simplest starting point is to check the breakers, flip them, and then check each of the 12 volt DC fuses. This costs absolutely nothing to do except some time and it's always the starting point whenever you have any type of electrical problem.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Best way to check fuses is not eyeball but check continuity with a multimeter. I am a motorcycle mechanic and have learned that lesson the hard way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring