Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2023, 06:22 AM   #1
nutatrock

Clearance light wiring help

I really would appreciate some help. I had my upper left clearance light taken out by a low limb. Found the replacement light on line and got it. I removed the old light and cut the wiring to install the new light. I failed to hold on to the wiring and it pulled back inside the front shell. I heard it land pretty far down inside the front shell. I tried to fish it out with a stiff wire with a hook. But no luck. Anyone have any good suggestions? I went inside the front closet and I don't see any access panels or doors to the front of the cap. Short of ripping out the paneling I am at a loss.

V/R John

2021 Keystone Alpine 3220rlClick image for larger version

Name:	20230724_100811.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	44646
nutatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:35 AM   #2
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutatrock View Post
I really would appreciate some help. I had my upper left clearance light taken out by a low limb. Found the replacement light on line and got it. I removed the old light and cut the wiring to install the new light. I failed to hold on to the wiring and it pulled back inside the front shell. I heard it land pretty far down inside the front shell. I tried to fish it out with a stiff wire with a hook. But no luck. Anyone have any good suggestions? I went inside the front closet and I don't see any access panels or doors to the front of the cap. Short of ripping out the paneling I am at a loss.

V/R John

2021 Keystone Alpine 3220rlAttachment 44646
I've used duct tape attached to a wire. If you have an idea where the wire went to, you might be able to catch it with the sticky side of tape. Duct tape is generally sturdy and sticky enough for this method.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:06 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Lights are usually daisychained. You might try removing the other light and look for the wires where they are attached. Then you just have to use a stiff fish line to bring it back across.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
LHaven

I had Mickey chew that same light off and the wire dropped down into the cap. Initially I thought it was lost because I just couldn't locate it. But I was able to find it by waiting until dusk, to cut down the cap glare, then using a tactical flashlight down the hole. Once I knew where it was, I fished it out carefully with the hook attachment on my yellow fiberglass wire-fishing rod set from Harbor Freight. It was way easier than I feared. I was fully prepared to run a new wire from the opposite light, this saved me much time and effort.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
nutatrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I had Mickey chew that same light off and the wire dropped down into the cap. Initially I thought it was lost because I just couldn't locate it. But I was able to find it by waiting until dusk, to cut down the cap glare, then using a tactical flashlight down the hole. Once I knew where it was, I fished it out carefully with the hook attachment on my yellow fiberglass wire-fishing rod set from Harbor Freight. It was way easier than I feared. I was fully prepared to run a new wire from the opposite light, this saved me much time and effort.
LHaven Thank you. Going to go out and try that right now.

Thanks to all the other replies!
nutatrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, wiring