Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
boxcar

Need help identifying my A/C brand

After a lot of discussion on other threads, I'm going to have a dealer install a second A/C in the bedroom of our Sprinter 297FWRLS. Unfortunately, I'm in Colorado and the 5r is in Kansas until I go there next week to take it to the dealer.

I want the second A/C to match the original for aesthetic appeal and vanity. The dealer believes from research on my VIN and Keystone's site that I have a Dometic Brisk Air II. However, the pictures I see of that A/C shroud on the internet shows vertical louvers and my shroud (see first attached photo) clearly has horizontal louvers. Looks more like a Coleman Mac 15 or Advent. I'm confused.

Can anyone with a Sprinter help? Do I have a different brand? Is it possible the Keystone supplied shrouds are different than the add-on A/Cs?

Also, I was going to go with the low profile Dometic but the dealer said the height difference isn't appreciable on the 297FWRLS due to the shape of the roof. I know it will have more wind drag but it is less expensive to go with the full height. I've read the low profile is noisier.

Opinions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horizontallouvers.png
Views:	97
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	17779   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometicbriskairii.png
Views:	94
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	17780  
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you remember what thermostat you have? AC will be same brand.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
boxcar

I don't remember seeing a brand name on it and I don't have a picture. Owners manuals are also in the camper.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
PSD Andy

Our 2018 Sprinter has a Coleman Mach 15.

Next year I want to add the Mach 8 over the bedroom.
PSD Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
boxcar

Good to know, Andy. What model is your Sprinter? Do you have a picture of the thermostat?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
NorskeBob

We have 2 AC units - 15,000 BTU in the living room and a 13,500 BTU in the bedroom. I will check the manuals and get the info for you. Will update.

Model and Serial Number: To find the model and serial number of any of the upper units, you will need to remove the upper shroud. There should be an identification tag near the compressor.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #7
PSD Andy

Our Model is 29FWRL. I can take a picture this evening.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
boxcar

Thanks NorskeBob and Andy. I don't need the model number of the A/C just the model of the Sprinter. Not sure if the Keystone Sprinter manufacturing lines build all the models in separate lines or whether that just depends on demand as to which model is being built on a line. I suppose the quality may vary depending on the line each unit is built on.

I also expect you could get a different brand of A/C on the same model and it just depends on which brand was in stock when each unit goes through. Just my speculation from having observed manufacturers of computer products.

But because Andy has the same model AND the slots on the Mach 15 are horizontal AND mine are horizontal, I'd now have to assume that mine is a Coleman instead of Dometic. I think a picture of the thermostat will jog my memory sufficiently and, if not, I'll be at the camper in a week to take it to the dealer. I'm afraid the dealer already ordered the Dometic.

It was $95 more for the 15K instead of the 13.5K so I asked for the larger unit. I hope I don't regret that for some unforeseen reason.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
PSD Andy

Boxcar

The first picture is the stat the trailer left the factory with(airxcel). It worked...but I hate scrolling thru the settings. So I switched it to the digtal coleman with slide switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	17825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_175535.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	17826  
Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
boxcar

Thanks again, Andy. I'm fairly certain the first picture is the thermostat is the same as the one in my camper, too, so I'm going to assume I have the Coleman. Good tip on changing the thermostat to a better one.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
boxcar

Mystery is over - I have the Coleman Mach 15 verified by my user manual and the model number under the shroud. Dealer is looking at the airflow today and installing (I hope) a second Mach 15.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
KOZKO

Looks just like my Coleman Mach 15 at the rear of our camper. If you are adding up front be careful about heights. The Mach 15 is tall! I installed a Dometic Penguin II because I was afraid of being too high. It is a different brand but same color, but up to you. I also, chose the penguin because I read a lot of reviews that the Coleman Mach 8 is very loud and I also confirmed this with Coleman - their tech service agreed it was much louder than the Mach 15.

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 AM   #13
boxcar

Apparently I just expect too much.

The dealer (Keystone authorized warranty center) checked out my original air conditioner by feeling that cool air was coming out of the vents. The tech's statement was that it seemed cool in the 90 degree heat that day. The service manager said that 4 degrees drop from outside temperature in the 93 degree heat (my measurements from before) was within Coleman specs and about all you can expect on a unit that is more than 30' and you have to have a second air conditioner.

Secondly, they installed the unit nose down when the manual clearly states it must be installed no more than 15 degrees nose up but never nose down at all. Service manager states that he always installs them nose down and can get an exception from Coleman. I will follow up on that.

Third, dealer had said this wouldn't make my unit too tall as it was on the sloped front of the camper. My 297FWRLS height spec is 12.5' and I've never measured it, but it looks to me as though this will put me above 13.5'. Now I wish I'd have gone with the Mach 8 in spite of the noise.

Forth, and this is good, I only have a 30amp outlet on the outside of my garage (will install a 50amp today) and the second unit works. I thought it would only come on when the 50amp receptacle was in use so I have some things to learn about the electrical in my unit.

Finally, I love the unit and it's really cold. Now I have to go through all the ducting fixes others have posted on the forums before I head out to western Colorado next week. I have my inspection camera and insulation all ready and will order some high-flow vents today. I already know my bedroom duct extends well past the bedroom outlet.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
PSD Andy

Our Sprinter measured 12 feet 10 inches when I checked it on flat driveway slab hitched up to the truck. Long 2x held level on top of the mach 15. Trailer tows close to level wirh small bias towards nose high.

I was planning to use the mach 8 over the bedroom so we stay at that height. Now after reading the other post maybe the low profile Dometic is preferred? I might be able to use the Mach 10 but I'd have to check that with a level 2x to see where the height would be.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
boxcar

Thanks for that info Andy. I'm backed into the drive at my farm garage and not level at all so I can't do the same measurement you did.

I had to wait for dark and used my laser level to determine that the top of my front Mach 15 is 10 inches higher than the top of my rear Mach 15. That will put the camper at a semi-trailer height, 13'5". Of course I need to verify that when my camper is on level ground - probably out at the barn where I have a 15' high door.

I'll sleep better tonight believing that I'm not too high for standard overpasses.

I worked this afternoon on the main A/C. The endoscope revealed that the air ducts are all intact and I didn't see any significant issues. The metal tape is actually quite well done in the circular ducts. As others surmised, my plenum between the intake and exhaust needed work as there were some holes, but not the major cavity that others have reported.

The biggest issue was the cover built by Coleman (now Airxcel). The foam inside was fairly messed up. I replaced it all with rubber foam of a similar thickness.

Interestingly, the fiber board blocking the supply from the intake needs to be slanted to keep the maximum opening for the supply to the air ducts, at least from the position that my panel is screwed in. But I got it done and the air flow is great - now I have to maintain my objectivity because I'm convinced it's working right. I cut one of the grandkid's styrofoam noodle to block the air duct that goes past the front vent - he won't miss the 8" until next summer.

The nice surprise is that I kept the camper at 78 degrees throughout with only the new bedroom Mach 15 on high cool and a fan blowing into the living area. High of 90 today, but having the backup A/C could make a difference if one fails during a camping trip.

With the 50amp circuit and both A/Cs running, it's too cold. I'll test tomorrow when it gets hot again, but I'm pumped!

One oddity - the Airxcel thermostat reads the temperature that I measure at the top of the thermostat housing, and that's a good 3 degrees warmer than the wall next to it and the bottom and sides of the thermostat housing. That skews my earlier testing as I'd never noticed it. Does anyone else have similar differences on the thermostat?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #16
boxcar

Smile Final Outcome

Just now finishing our trip to Palisade for the Peach Festival and wine tasting this year. The A/C combination handled the heat though it still required fans for better circulation.

Heat was low to mid 90s. During the day we needed both ACs running and a fan on the dresser to move more cold air from the bedroom into the great room, but we were able to maintain 74 degrees almost all the time. I normally keep the camper at 78 but our guests couldn't handle that temperature.

After the guests left my DW and I were fine with the main AC at 78, the bedroom door shut, and the new vent louvers in the bedroom closed. We then cooled off the bedroom with the new AC in the evening. The bedroom AC is really noisy so now I'm wondering what people mean by the low profile being really noisy - are those even worse? Maybe it's just because it's in your face.

I'm still skeptical about the temperature in the great room in the occasional 105 degree weather in Kansas, but I at least I know we could hole up in the bedroom because the 15KBTU Mach 15 can freeze water when the door is closed.

I was able to measure the height at the local CO-OP awning before leaving the farm and estimated that I'm 13'5". I realized my math was wrong in the previous post and would have been 13'8" based on PSD Andy's measurements and my laser level. However, I'm going to verify the height several more time. But I didn't feel the need to duck my head in the Eisenhower tunnel. We are watching height restrictions on the 2 lane bridges carefully.

Thanks for the help forum members! Here are a few pictures showing how high the new A/C is and why I should have gone low profile. But at least the shrouds match!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
PSD Andy

Thanks for the follow up. I should try a portable fan to move air around on the next trip.

I like the laser level for measuring. I plan on measuring from current AC over to the front vent area next week before we leave for the campground just to see what i have to work with.