Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
Festus2
Site Team

It may be that inner and outer sliding steel "legs" are misaligned and are binding causing a strain on the motor. Has the mechanism been greased lately? I see that your Montana is an '08 and the landing jack gears and inner components need to be greased from time-to-time.

The in-line circuit breaker should have solved the problem but apparently not. Is your battery in good "shape"? Fully charged and able to hold a charge?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
CamperGeoff

Festus: Great suggestions

Hi Festus:

All of your questions are great. I do have to replace the batteries, as they are a few years old, and don't charge like they used to. I plan to do that this week.

More importantly, I do like the suggestion about greasing the landing gear. Is there a special grease (like a graphite spray) that works better then others? Is there some place special to place the lubricant?

You don't think it's the motor? (I don't think so, but ......)

Any help is welcome!

~g
San Diego CA
CamperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

There should be a couple of zerk fittings on each side of the top part of your landing gear. Both legs have a gear set and both need to be lubricated regularly. Use any good "wheel bearing" or "general purpose" grease and go on a "zerk hunt" to find the fittings. They are probably painted black and well camouflaged so you'll have "fun" finding them. Use a flashlight to make it easier...

It also seems that I remember several years ago, a "factory suggested fix" for blowing the landing gear fuse. If I recall, the factory suggested on "some units that have a history of blowing fuses" to install a second 30 amp fuse in parallel with the existing fuse. Maybe some owners of "years past" models will remember the "suggested repair" better than I do....

You might also check with your dealer (next time you're in for spare parts) and pick his brain to see if he remembers the fusing issues.....

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
CamperGeoff

Have Grease Gun and Flash Light

Hi John:

Great. I do have a grease gun, and flashlight, and will go on a zirk-hunt. I need new batteries too, so those'll get replaced.

I am curious about adding a second 30amp fuse in parallel, or did you mean Serial, as since there is the one pink line, I assume both would go on that wire? I do like using the 30amp circuit breaker, so a second cannot hurt, I suspect.

~geoff
San Diego CA
CamperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

No if you install a second fuse in series (one behind the other on that same wire) you'll still only have one fuse to blow opening the circuit and the other fuse would essentially be "useless" or "extra" and serve no purpose.

Installing the second fuse in parallel (side by side with a second wire routing the new fuse around the old one) will give you more delay before blowing the fuse but still protect the wiring.

Check through this forum, there are several old threads about how Keystone used the parallel double fuse to resolve the blown fuse issue in the landing gear circuitry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote