Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
MattHelm21

Weboost Drive 4G-X RV review

To set the stage, we stay once a year at a campground which has good WiFi coverage but almost no internet bandwidth so it is almost impossible to get online. Also, cell service is intermittent at best with data rarely better than 1xrtt(we are Verizon customers) and voice drops out regularly. We considered WiFi bridges like the WiFiRanger or the Winegard ConnecT. WiFiRanger is WiFi only and we went with a Core Router several years ago. We looked into upgrading to the Winegard product because it can incorporate 4G/LTE but it was missing a solution for voice which we require for possible family emergencies. All this lead us to the Weboost solution. The choice came down to the Connect RV 65 or the Drive 4G-X RV. The Connect has the highest gain directional antenna which cannot be raised while traveling and must be set up at every campsite while the Drive uses a slightly lower gain fixed omnidirectional antenna which technically can function while traveling and requires no setup at the campsite once installed. Since we didn’t want the added setup at every campsite, we opted for the Drive.

Upside, it boosts both voice and data cell service for all carriers. Downside, it doesn’t provide a WiFi bridge mode and does require you use data from your cell data plan. We decided we could accomplish this with the hotspot mode on one of our iPhones or iPads. Before our trip, I mounted the external antenna on the ladder above the roofline and mounted the booster just inside the street slideout. I ran the inside antenna and cable from the kitchen counter to the booster. I went with a temporary installation by pushing the cable from the roof antenna through the slideout gasket and connected to the booster inside once we leveled.

I was pleasantly surprised upon powering up the booster to find that I had 2 bars of 4G/LTE and I immediately set up my iPad as a hotspot and tried a speed test to find I had 20Mbps down a and 1.8Mbps up where I was unable to get any useable test prior. Voice calls were solid and the only dropouts occurred when calling phones not near our camper in the same campsite. There are several must haves in the installation manual for there to be at least potential success. One, the roof antenna and the inside antenna must be as far away from one another as possible. This was easy in our trailer and in fact, the pre-measured 20 foot RG6 cable from the roof to the booster is just barely long enough to reach the slideout and I need to find out if I can use a longer one for permanent installation. Second, there has to be some wireless signal outside as the system can’t boost something from nothing. Third, the “soft installation” is recommended before drilling any holes ostensibly in case the system does not work out, you aren’t left with the damage to your RV.

In conclusion, I highly recommend this product if you want a solution for boosting voice and data cell service, can use your cell data plan either on your phone(s)/mobile devices or by creating a hotspot for other WiFi devices, and your ok with the cost factor of the product itself. We waited and caught an Amazon lightning deal at $152 off which made it very palatable.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
MattHelm21

Here is a pic of the antenna mounted to the ladder. The ladder on the Fuzion is too narrow. I had to pick up a box of stainless steel washers and add 9 to each u-bolt to be able to catch the threads and tighten the mount properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	297323D3-1D30-485D-9810-8E7F5942745A.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	18155  
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I may look into that. That said, I spend months in a campground in FL from Nov. to May. I just have CenturyLink come in and give me a hard wired (no need to worry about "flaky" wifi) link that gives me 40-100 mb bandwitdth...all my own. The solution you have found would probably be pretty nice in some situations but I like higher speeds if there is a way possible. As you travel your option would probably be pretty nice....we just "get by".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
MattHelm21

I would do it your way Danny once we go full time and stay anywhere long enough. This solution fits the short stays or where hardwired is not an option. BTW, I like and am used to higher speeds as well. One note I left out for the review, there is a blurb in the manual about registering the system with your cell carrier. It was an easy process but requires giving them your cell phone number for contact and the booster’s model and serial number. I suppose if you set up next to a cell tower and turn the system on you might draw some attention.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
ADQ K9

Nice, you got a smokin' deal, been thinking about putting a We Boost on the wish list as service up here in Alaska can be little to none in places. Sometimes its nice to go off the grid though and that is pretty easy to do up here.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
MattHelm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Nice, you got a smokin' deal, been thinking about putting a We Boost on the wish list as service up here in Alaska can be little to none in places. Sometimes its nice to go off the grid though and that is pretty easy to do up here.
If you don’t know this trick, add one to your cart in Amazon and leave it there. Sometimes they will email you with one of these lightning deals. The other is to watch for Prime Day.

I long for a time I can go off the grid but right now I’m stuck with remaining connected. -Someday.