Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
TheNative

Bike Rack Question

I have a 2015 Bullet Premier 19fbpr. We have attached a bumper mounted bike rack. I'm concerned about how much the bikes sway and about putting torque on the bumper. My thought was to attach a roof ladder and secure the bicycles to it. However, through this forum I've learned that because the roof is not walkable, a ladder is probably not an option. Is there some way to securely attach some eye bolts to the back of the trailer that I could cinch the bikes to (still using the bumper mounted bike rack but securing them a bit by using straps through the eye bolts)? Or does anyone have another suggestion for securing them?
TheNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Ideally, with the money you'll spend installing a ladder or modifying the rear of the trailer to use straps, you'll probably be able to buy a conventional RV receiver hitch ( https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-accessories/rv/hitches ) or have a competent welder install a receiver on the trailer. Then you won't face the issues of a "too weak bumper tube"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
TheNative

John, Thanks so much for the input. The challenge is that the Thule bike rack itself has a lot of play in it. So securing it with additional straps really helps to stabilize it. But I will check out the hitch you recommended.
TheNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is some discussion on which bike racks work best on the rear of RV's. As you know, all bike racks are not equal. Some are light weight and offer best performance when on the rear of a vehicle with shocks that help prevent bouncing, some are much heavier and "survive" the bouncing on the rear of a vehicle without shocks and a much longer distance from the wheels to the rack mount.

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of discussions about alternatives to Thule "bumper mount" racks which offered better protection during towing because they didn't "bounce on their mount" as much as the Thule racks do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I'm a fan of them at the front of the trailer. I built my own frame, but here's an idea for what will go over the propane tanks.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Tongue+Mount+Bike+Rack

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
travelin texans

If you read the fine print on most of the bike racks it states "not for rv use". I would agree I'd rather have them on the front somewhere so they could be seen easily, unless you have rear camera they can be long gone by the time you miss them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
rhagfo

While I have a 5er, I still prefer a front mount, bikes don't get beaten to death.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
busterbrown

I'm also a fan and an advocate of a front "a-frame" mounted bike rack. I installed the Stromberg-Carlson cc-275 on my trailer 2 years ago. One of the best mods I've done. The bikes are much less tortured in our travels verses on the rear of the trailer. I had a receiver hitch welded to the rear frame rails which worked okay for the first couple of seasons. But the bikes (and bike rack) got beat up a bit. Now, the bikes ride in "first class" up front.

I also have the added benefit of seeing them in my rearview mirror.

Also, the CC-275 is very robust and solid when mounted to the A-frame. Just a few tools required for installation. It's definitely a product I would recommend.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack