Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Thilde11

09’ 260SRT solar not charging

Hey y’all, New to the Keystone form. So I have a 2009 Keystone Springdale 260 SRT. I have a small solar panel on top which I’m assuming goes to a little LED light indicator that lights up assuming when it’s charging. I’ve owned the camper for about three years now and have never had a solar charging light indication. I would like to have that capability if possible but cannot figure out why my system is not charging. I was told it could be a loose wire somewhere but I am looking for information from perhaps some of you that might know where to start or where to go when chasing the system. I have use my voltmeter trying to diagnose where the power stops but either my voltmeter doesn’t work or somethings not working correctly. Does anybody have any insight on where to start or perhaps what may be wrong ?

Thank you,

Tyler
Thilde11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilde11 View Post
Hey y’all, New to the Keystone form. So I have a 2009 Keystone Springdale 260 SRT. I have a small solar panel on top which I’m assuming goes to a little LED light indicator that lights up assuming when it’s charging. I’ve owned the camper for about three years now and have never had a solar charging light indication. I would like to have that capability if possible but cannot figure out why my system is not charging. I was told it could be a loose wire somewhere but I am looking for information from perhaps some of you that might know where to start or where to go when chasing the system. I have use my voltmeter trying to diagnose where the power stops but either my voltmeter doesn’t work or somethings not working correctly. Does anybody have any insight on where to start or perhaps what may be wrong ?

Thank you,

Tyler
Do you know where the solar charge controller is? Does it have any lights or indicators? What brand and model is it?
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Thilde11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Do you know where the solar charge controller is? Does it have any lights or indicators? What brand and model is it?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out, where the charge controller is. It has a little red led indicator light located above the range that says “solar charging when lit” or something along those lines. Perhaps it’s behind the fuse panel? I’m not familiar with solar systems but I am mechanically inclined to do my own repairs. Just wanting to see if anyone else has had this issue. I would like to invest in one of those digital displays in the future but not would be nice to at least have some sort of solar charging since I have the panel. I hear panels rarely go bad so I’m assuimibg it’s a loose connection somewhere.

Brand is unknown at the moment.

Would it have a charge controller?
Thilde11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
sonofcy

The wires from the solar panels will go directly to the charge controller from the charge controller to the batteries. There should be a breaker in both the input and output lines of the charge controller
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
Old 06-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
sonofcy

First check for a fuse on the back of the solar panel. Tomorrow use your VOM to check for voltage at the solar panel connectors on the back of the panel and make sure that fuse is good. I assume since you own a VOM you know how to check the fuse. The solar panel wires probably go down the refrigerator vent. If the wires go into a 'combiner box' before they go down, open that up and make sure the power is going through. Now go inside and find where the wires come out of the fridge vent. Check voltage again. Here is a link to some charge controllers so you know what you are looking for. If you only have one panel it will be one of the smaller ones maybe only 10amps or less.
https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-k...ge-controllers
Old 06-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
roadglide

I would start at the panels assuming there 10 years old clean the top off with water and soft cloth and check the out put at the panels .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
sonofcy

2 example simp[le solar diagrams

I am posting two simple solar setups, maybe this info will help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30s-VT-MPP-15A.pdf (1.82 MB, 200 views)
File Type: pdf 30s-SIG-MPP-25A.pdf (194.9 KB, 153 views)

Tags
solar