Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #21
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It's surprising to us at how many rvers we've talked with that DO NOT use the shower in their rv & DO NOT go #2 in the toilet & only #1 during the night, they go to the park facilities. One couple actually put a rod in their shower & use it as a closet to hang clothes. OH HELL NO!!! What a waste!!! That's why we bought a rv so we didn't have to use the some times not so nice park facilities.
My sentiments exactly. We use our shower and throne for what they were intended for. We love it.

I have good friends, who will shower but not do #2 in their RV. As Spock would have said :"Highly illogical"
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
It's surprising to us at how many rvers we've talked with that DO NOT use the shower in their rv & DO NOT go #2 in the toilet & only #1 during the night, they go to the park facilities. One couple actually put a rod in their shower & use it as a closet to hang clothes. OH HELL NO!!! What a waste!!! That's why we bought a rv so we didn't have to use the some times not so nice park facilities.
We full time and our 5er is our home, shower in the shower, use the toilet for both ends, their there to be used. To talk about resealing the shower surround so water will not get up over the how do you spray the water?!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #23
mwemaxxowner

You're doing better than I. My '05 Springdale has no surround.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_210931424.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	22755Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_210958188.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	22756Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_211011193.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	22757Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_211017612.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	22758
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Many entry level RV's omit the shower surround to keep costs down and trailers affordable. Yours is a 2005 model, a testament that the vinyl covered luan wallboard works as a shower surround. Most who have that type system always dry the walls after showering to help remove as much water as possible. As long as the "joiner strips" are secure and water doesn't leak behind them, usually the walls will stay dry and you can avoid "water damage"...

It does, for most people, cause a "What were they thinking?" moment when they first see "wood walls in the shower".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 AM   #25
Nomadicchefs

My shower surround has the aluminum surround and glass doors that are screwed and siliconed against the walls, however at the bottom where the aluminum rails and shower base meet the water seeps underneath and molds, the "gap" that was supposed to be incorporated to allow airflow is too tight and I'm not sure how to fix it without doing damage?
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:52 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you post a pic? I have fixed leaks in tons of glass surround showers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:14 AM   #27
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Can you post a pic? I have fixed leaks in tons of glass surround showers.
I had used tub surround caulking of my own but read that it was a bad idea. So I removed a portion to show you the section where there is a small gap between the rail and the shower base. That's where the water seeps out. It also seeps out between the seams of the rails themselves, like where they're manufactured together. I've tried using sealant, but honestly nothing sticks to that material very long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_100843.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	23000  
Old 07-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Trick is to clean real good and use denatured alcohol. Let it dry completely and then use clear silicone. None of my repairs have failed yet that I know of.

Run a decent bead, lick your finger and then run your finger the length of the bead to push it into the gap.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #29
Nomadicchefs

But it is ok to seal that gap between the shower framing/surround and the base pan? Since silicone is a flexible material, I assume that it will flex as you stand in the shower and when the camper is in tow as well.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes it is. Same thing, clean real good with denatured alcohol and let dry completely. I use a plastic putty knife to dig out all the old sealant. Run a decent bead and with a wet finger you can push it into the gap. I do both sides of the rail.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #31
Nomadicchefs

Ok, thank you! I thought it seemed like an oversight when all the mold began to grow like seaweed ��
Old 07-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

There are slots in the bottom rail to allow the water to drain back into the shower, just don’t cover those up. I have seen that rail installed backwards, DOH!!

Old 07-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #33
travelin texans

It's really a bit funny!
I've caulked several RV showers around the door track or where the walls meet the pan, apparently they forget or are afraid to use too much caulk, but then you go on the roof & look around vents or seams then it appears they get paid by the tube as those caulk lines are 2-3-4" wide.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
Snoking

We currently have two RV trailers. The 5th wheel is our summer home now and we full timed in it for a year and a half. It made two round trips from the NW to Arizona. It has a nice rectangular shower, and the unit is a single piece nice solid smooth shower that is easy to squeegee dry after ones shower. It is sealed nicely to the three walls around it. It also has a built in seat, ledges for shampoo bottles, a high corner place for bar of soap and nail brush etc. No flex any where!

Because we roofed it and now leave it in our Northern membership park year round, last August we bought a 2019 Laredo 225MK as a commuter rig to travel back and forth to our park model with Arizona room down South and be able to take side trips with.

It is a nice bit upscale travel trailer that cost more than many other smaller trailers the dealer had on their lot. It does however have one really cheap feature! The shower!! It's fake plastic tile texture makes for difficult squeegeeing and the panels flop around like a just caught fish in the bottom of a row boat.

So I know that a decent show can be put in at RV, as both are of similar size and shape with three piece sliding doors are the same. So why the different? COST! The 5th wheel shower probably cost 4 or 5 times what the TT one cost. Oh yeah, and the water puddles in the TT shower as the drain is higher than other area's of the shower floor.

So it is what it is and we enjoy it's smaller size to travel fitting into parks that the 39'4" 5th wheel would not. We also are happy with the two 4400 axles under a 8K trailer, 15" rims and tires, Lippert Road Armor trailair center point equalizer, and wet bolts that came OEM on a trailer this small.

The six point hydraulic auto level in the 5th wheel is nice and much faster than the Laredo's electric tongue jack and stabilizers, but we are retired or retarded, not sure which at times.

With many years of boating and RVing under our belts we just do not understand why people want to use public restroom and showers rather than their own! But again that is their life not ours.

BTW the Laredo sits on another lot across the road, so we have a guest house in the summer for friends and family. We have Directv genie setup and the previous owner of our second site paid to have a conduit buried under the gravel road, so the little guy's TV's work also. Guest house with amenities!

Enjoy! Chris
Old 07-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
It's really a bit funny!
I've caulked several RV showers around the door track or where the walls meet the pan, apparently they forget or are afraid to use too much caulk, but then you go on the roof & look around vents or seams then it appears they get paid by the tube as those caulk lines are 2-3-4" wide.
Roofs don't gotta be pretty, cuz you don't gotta look at them every day.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #36
Sarge2

Sure glad I found this post... I had already purchased some silicone chalking to reseal the large gap between the surround and the tub... I would have probably caused a huge issue... Think I'll make sure to check before I leap to conclusions that the factory has no clue what they are doing... Wheww...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote