Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
jerseyphil

ADMIT IT - You Messed Up

OK all you RVers.
What did you mess up on your RV.

Here is mine:

In 2010, I was new to RVing. I researched, decided on a 5th wheel type, and purchased a new 2011 Cougar 318SAB. I never pulled any trailer before, but I am gutsy and figured I could do it. I would be ultra careful, taking into consideration the wide turns needed. And, I would back up real slowly with the DW holding one walkee-talkee.

OK. Here is the bad part. On my trip home from the RV Dealer in South Burlington, VT to NJ. I pulled into an eatery. It had a huge lot. Figured that would be easy. WHAT I DID NOT SEE was a 3 foot high steel post. I dented the right side of the RV just under the front storage door. I WAS DEVASTED! Fortunately, my wife (married in 1969) calmed me down.

So, my brand new, beautiful RV was now damaged. It was minor enough to push out the dent (mostly) myself. Still, to this day, 7 years later, I feel so stupid. I REALLY MESSED UP.

Well, that's my story.

Thanks for listening,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
notanlines

Sorry, I always was under the impression that if you admit this stuff you are required to turn in your man card. Deny! Deny! Deny!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

It DOES take a lot of guts to admit stuff like that. And, I have to admit that I thought I made a mistake towing my RV once, but..........I was mistaken...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
ken56

I blew out a wheel bearing on the TT and had to pull it into a town about 15 miles further down the road, not fast of course but still, in order to get to civilization. Ruined the spindle and had to buy a new axle. Purchased a road service policy after that.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
I blew out a wheel bearing on the TT and had to pull it into a town about 15 miles further down the road, not fast of course but still, in order to get to civilization. Ruined the spindle and had to buy a new axle. Purchased a road service policy after that.

This post reminds me I DID mess up once ......

Just bought a little pop up from my mom and dad and took it to the mountains to go camping and try it out (4 hr. drive). Got to the small mountain town before we got into the remote areas and stopped for a minute to see if the mercantile was open....it wasn't (about 8-9 pm and dark). Getting back in the truck I thought I smelled something but decided to wait until camped to check it out (about 45 minutes away).

We were almost to our stream side campsite on a little 2 track when the trailer just "ka whumped" and one side hit the ground. Stopped to find that we had lost a tire and wheel completely. The bearings had failed on one side and cut the spindle off the end of the axle. Spent my "fun camping weekend" with the trailer jacked up in the middle of the road removing the axle and getting the spindle replaced. Thank goodness for the welding shop in Alamogordo that took pity on us and did the work on the weekend when he was closed. Got us on the road and back home in a timely manner. From then on if I smell something we don't move until I find what it is.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Had just bought a trailer and camped in it locally a couple of times and one long trip to Branson. This is east I thought. Had the chance to move under a covers spot and I took it. First time I pulled out, in an awful thunder storm, heading to Branson again. Except this time I caught the awning on the post and ripped it completely off. We still camped but wound up totaling the trailer. Not one of my better moments. If anyone repeats this, I'll deny it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
rjrelander

Not my story, but my BIL was sitting with a large group of family (including kids) around the camp fire. Across the road was a newlywed couple in a popup camper. At some point during the evening, the camper started "rocking" and one of the supports broke, dropping the bed, tearing the screen, and dumping the couple out onto the ground. They quickly got dressed and packed up their stuff, never to be seen again.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Canonman

DW said, "I think we have small leak under the sink." I was relaxed and into my second, (third) adult beverage and asked "does it look like something big or ??" "No, the pan lid under here just has a few drops on it." "OK, I'll look into it in the morning" and poured another (bad round of golf earlier).
Next morning took the dog out for her walk and noticed water dripping from under the corner of the Cougar. Used all the towels we had to clean up the water that had dripped all night into the cabinet under the sink and then fixed the PEX connection to the faucet. Used our little space heater to dry everything out.
Moral of the story: always listen to SWMBO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6769.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	679.3 KB
ID:	14549  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Way back when (circa 1978) ...

Brand new at pulling a triple axle Spacecraft backwards into a tight 90 degree spot, I forgot to "unload" the tire "side play" on axles 1 & 3. Easy enough to pull straight forward and then straight back to unload sidewall stress, just plain forgot after tight fit "mental stress". I went to unhook and the trailer took a hard lurch to starboard, before the 5th wheel was clear of the hitch. Got lucky, no harm done, lesson learned!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
SummitPond

We were camping in a cousin's pasture in central FL. The previous month we had a hard freeze and I winterized the trailer (something rarely done) just to avoid any issues. As I am setting up, the DW was socializing with the cousin in the trailer. I normally ask she confirm no water is flowing after I connect to city water, but this time I did not (our FW tank was drained due to winterizing). I went in and started socializing, totally forgetting to check spigots. A little while later I noticed a river flowing out of the bathroom and across the floor. I had neglected to shut the bathtub faucet after winterizing (oops!) Why neither of us heard the tub spouting water is beyond me (I think the door was closed). The tub had filled and overflowed. Fortunately our cousin had tons of towels handy to mop up the mess, laundry facilities for us to use to clean them afterwards, and a connection to their septic tank to dump the BW tank. No harm was done other than to my ego. I was impressed how watertight the interior walls and partitions are.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
theeyres

You guys are all wimps! Pulling our fiver into Whitefish, MT to get a bottle of Gin. Watching the curb because the turn was onto a very narrow street. Didn't see the overhang, Western style, above. Caught the back of the trailer, pulled off the awning, gouged the side and pulled the whole back cap off the fiver. A month and half layover in Boise for repairs and $10,000 later we were back on the road. Fortunately insurance helped us out. Now beat that.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
You guys are all wimps! Pulling our fiver into Whitefish, MT to get a bottle of Gin. Watching the curb because the turn was onto a very narrow street. Didn't see the overhang, Western style, above. Caught the back of the trailer, pulled off the awning, gouged the side and pulled the whole back cap off the fiver. A month and half layover in Boise for repairs and $10,000 later we were back on the road. Fortunately insurance helped us out. Now beat that.

I think we have the current leader!!! My goofs pale in comparison so I’ll just keep reading about others.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
MattHelm21

While I don’t expect to upset the leader, I can probably make the short list. I wasn’t even towing. I hit my previous trailer with the riding lawn mower hard enough to require replacing the streatside lower fiberglass wrap below the rear end cap. The worst of it was I didn’t even notice it at the time. I noticed it a week later and at first couldn’t come up with a reason for the damage.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I swore back in 2012 when I posted this that I'd never post it again, so being true to that promise, it's post #24 in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...+bronco&page=3

And yes, my DW and DD are both "not happy" about the memories. Even though it's been almost 45 years, the scowls I get when someone mentions it are still painful........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
vampress_me

John,

Thank you for a whole 'nother thread to read about mishaps. We were all laughing here at some of those...after going ouch! that had to hurt!

Theeyres - hubby wants to know if after that you skipped the gin and went straight to scotch?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I swore back in 2012 when I posted this that I'd never post it again, so being true to that promise, it's post #24 in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...+bronco&page=3

And yes, my DW and DD are both "not happy" about the memories. Even though it's been almost 45 years, the scowls I get when someone mentions it are still painful........

Sorry, live in the bush here. What is a DW and what is a DD ?

"Old and confused" . . . . . . . . . .

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:59 AM   #17
Dave W

No unforgettable experiences with the current 5er yet but for sure the other two have caused a few.

Way back, took our '74 Kountry Aire 5er out for a (wet) weekend. The CG owner led us to our site and directed me backing in - right up to the axles in clay mud. OOPS. We spent the weekend like that, raining most of the time and sinking deeper. Came Sunday afternoon, we need to go home. After a couple hours of digging, mostly by the CG owner, he hooked up his tractor to the front of my F350SC and while digging even more holes with the tires on that machine, got us out. He 'suggested' that we never return even though it was his fault we were stuck - and haven't (wouldn't!) since his CG only lasted a short time afterwards.

Last 5er, maiden voyage with our Titanium, stopped at a CG in PA somewhere along I-81. Nice sites, but new owners who weren't as familiar with bigger RVs and where they could go. Also, my big error in believing them that I would have "no problem going to the top of that hill over there and turning around" and entering my site correctly. They would have been 100% correct had the 3-4 small trailers in the sites at the top of the hill weren't there. After about a half hour of making literally inch by inch moves, was finally able to get the rig straight a aimed at what really was an off road trail but only after destroying a tonneau rail on one side, pulling the tailgate top cover off and gouging a deep ding in the underside of the nose. And that trail - it looked vertical from the truck but was probably 'only' about 30 degrees, which the truck's low range allowed me to do down safely.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Sorry, live in the bush here. What is a DW and what is a DD ?

"Old and confused" . . . . . . . . . .
See this link for the common abbreviations used on the site:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...read.php?t=449

I still have to refer to it occasionally!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
KCSA75

It doesn't hold a candle to some of the Hall of Fame stories posted already, but the my worst screw-up so far has been scraping a clearance light off the side of the coach backing it into the storage shed.

I guess I should feel fortunate.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
Desert185

There, but for the grace of God, go I...so far.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote