Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
kark0202

Non oxygenated gas in generator

I acvidently filled up my generator tank with 91 non oxygenated gas. I did run the generator a bit and it seemed quieter. Will this be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kark0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Desert185

I don't see why not, as long as there is no prohibition in the owner's manual. Unless you plan to run the gen on a regular basis, using up that fuel, I would add StaBil to the tank.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I use "recreational gas" in all my small engine equipment. In Michigan all gas sold for "on the road use" is ethanol blended (oxygenated fuel) and will cause problems with water absorption in the tank, fouling of the carburetor system and damaged engines. The "recreational gas" is 89 octane (ethanol free), and I've used it exclusively for well over 5 years with no damage to any of my equipment. In fact, since I started using it, I've seen an improvement in reliability, easier starting, less fuel usage and improved/easier return to operation after storage.

Currently I have two snowmobiles a snow blower and a wood splitter that are "in storage". Within a month or so I'll put my two outboard motors, two ATV's a UTV, two lawn mowers, a lawn tractor, chipper/shredder, a pressure washer and multiple "2 stroke" small implements into storage. I fully expect all of them to "start on the first pull" and run without problems after storage. I attribute that to using "non oxygenated fuel" and properly preparing them for storage.

I don't see any problem with you using ethanol free fuel in your generator. I think you'll see improved performance and less problems with extended storage (over a month without use).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
gearhead

I would sacrifice the usual left body part for a non ethanol gas pump within 50 miles of me. You wouldn't believe the backflips we go through to keep the water out of boat engines. Burn all you can. It's what we call "real gas". Good stuff. Buy more. You shouldn't have to worry about adding stabilizers, but I would for long term storage.
Yes, the irony of no real gas in the refining epicenter of the universe is not lost on me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
spicercars

That's all I run in mine. Good stuff.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
SteveC7010

I looked up "non-oxygenated gasoline" and discovered that it is pretty much double speak for non-ethanol fuel. Oxygenated refers to additives that contain a high content of oxygen, and ethanol is one of the primary ones in that category. While there may be other additives with a high oxygen content that are also omitted, you don't see the gasoline companies listing them along side the ethanol that the fuel doesn't contain. They're just telling you the same thing twice using different words.

And, like John, I use the non-ethanol 91 octane gasoline in all my small engine equipment. I learned the hard way that the ethanol fuel gunks up the fuel system over time in small engines, boat motors included. All I buy is the non-ethanol 91 octane, and I add SeaFoam to the containers. The boat, the snowblower, the lawnmower, the generator, and more all get filled from the same supply. When I put stuff away for the season, I add some StaBil and run the engine for a few minutes. When it's time to get them out, they start easy and run well immediately. The genny gets tested monthly year round.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
dcg9381

I prefer not-ethanol also.
I've actually run and filled on 100LL (100 octane Low Lead, aviation fuel) not for performance reasons, but just because the stuff keeps forever and worry about carb varnish is significantly reduced.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
KeithInUpstateNY

My dealer actually recommended I use nonethanol gas in my Honda generator for the same reasons cited above.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
SteveC7010

Just a bit more to add to the conversation:

If you'll google "ethanol gasoline in small engines" (without the quotes) and then click on images, you'll find lots of pics of damage to various parts of the fuel system in small engines. That same search will give you lots of pages with good write-ups about the issue.

Here's a pic of fuel bowl on a small engine that is all gooped up from ethanol fuel.

Think of this goop building up just like the plaque in your arteries over your lifetime. It takes many years for it to build up, but when it gets fully blocked, you're in for all kinds of health problems. It took 5 or 6 years for the stuff to build up enough in my generator before it totally blocked fuel flow.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
gearhead

Y'all are killing me. It's a major topic of conversation around here about why we can't get real gas. There may be less than 10 stations in a 100 mile radius. My understanding from doing a little Googling is that some states have laws that require some availability of non ethanol gas. My brother lives in NW Arkansas and can get all he wants.
I've had to clean the carb on my 35HP GoDevil B&S motor. Full of rust. A generator was the same. It's a constant worry. I keep the bay boat with a 150HP Yamaha in my garage with the gas tank full to help prevent condensation and the ethanol from sucking in humidity. I also keep two spare elements for the fuel/water separator. I triple dose or quadruple dose the 48 gallon tank with Startron. I really don't want to be stranded in the middle of Galveston Bay with a dead motor.
I know you corn farmers like it, but it's killing us. Isobutanol is an alternative but going against the farm lobby is tough sledding.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
dcg9381

You can often find it (elevated prices):
* Some marinas
* Look up "mogas map" - this is pilot speak for non-ethanol unleaded fuel, typically 92-94 octane. Ethanol fuel is not allowed in airplanes.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kark0202 View Post
I acvidently filled up my generator tank with 91 non oxygenated gas. I did run the generator a bit and it seemed quieter. Will this be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well at 2.929 a gallon, I wouldrun it in my car also! I our neck of the woods it goes for about $4.00 a gallon!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
You can often find it (elevated prices):
* Some marinas
* Look up "mogas map" - this is pilot speak for non-ethanol unleaded fuel, typically 92-94 octane. Ethanol fuel is not allowed in airplanes.
That site shows 2 places, both 100 miles away....Refugio TX., and Eunice LA. There are a couple places on the other side of Houston, nowhere near fishing spots. One outlaw type place I don't trust near Lake Livingston.
Buccees is promising a pump in the future.
But I think I'll drive across town to the always booming Liberty Intercontinental Airport and see what they have.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

gearhead,

You'll probably be better off trying to find a crop duster that is close to where you're located. He would have a handle on exactly where to obtain fuel and many times they fly out of small airports or landing strips that are not a part of the "airport listing". You may have a grass strip around the corner with a pump "full of unleaded ethanol free gas"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
gearhead

Good idea, I'll look around.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #16
dcg9381

Crop Dusters don't use mogas (not that JRTJH said they did). These are typically certified aircraft - high horsepower. They'll run 100LL (load lead) or some of them are actually turbine powered (jet fuel/diesel). Guys flying these don't have an interest in MoGas and I'd be surprised if they know where to get it... MoGas is very very niche.

The guys running MoGas are typically fly newer (small, usually 2 seats) or some older cub-looking (low HP) aircraft can be certified for it. Glass bodied 2-seat planes running Rotax engines or experimental home-built aircraft that are generally up to 4 seats in size are likely to use MoGas. MoGas airplanes also run 100LL interchangeably.

There may eventually be a no-lead no-ethanol fuel available at airports, but they've only been talking about it for about 20 years.

Here's an airport fuel finder, by zip code, it won't list MoGas, but will list 100LL: https://www.airnav.com/fuel/

In order for it to be an airport (even private) - I think it has to be listed with the FAA and it's on sectionals, it'll be found on the link above. If it's not listed (or private) you won't be able to buy fuel there with a credit card.

Most rural airports (crop duster type) - county airports, city airports, the type that you don't see many private jets at will have 100LL - it's currently running between $3.50-$4.90 per gallon. If you're not familiar roll up and ask at the desk, most of these places are happy to let you buy fuel. There typically isn't any "TSA" type security, but you should respect airports that are fenced and ask up front on the procedure around buying gas. At my local airport, it's literal drive up and pay at the pump. I do get some odd looks when pulling up the toy hauler.

100LL gas may eventually foul plugs due to to lead.. IMHO, plugs are easier to deal with than fouled carbs. I've run at least 100 gallons of 100LL and haven't had an issue, but I mention it anyway. All of my 2-strokes are tuned for 100LL - it's so much easier not to have to do fuel lines and deal with carbs.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
Pmedic4

Alternatives to Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Y'all are killing me. It's a major topic of conversation around here about why we can't get real gas. There may be less than 10 stations in a 100 mile radius. My understanding from doing a little Googling is that some states have laws that require some availability of non ethanol gas. ....
I know you corn farmers like it, but it's killing us. Isobutanol is an alternative but going against the farm lobby is tough sledding.
Sad part of the ethanol issue, it was put in place to reduce emissions, but as automotive engine technology has improved, supposedly (I'm sure that depends on who you talk to!) there is no need for oxygenated gasoline, as the engine and computer can adjust to add more oxygen, cut emissions, and reduce all the bad stuff (NOx, SOx, CO, etc.) along with catalytic converters.

While there was (is?) a push to isobutanol, it was based on the oil companies getting back to controlling the additive using oil stocks, after the MBTE disaster. The production of isobutanol however, is now being produced with, yes surprisingly, corn and other materials in a change to the ethanol production process. Seems like the oil industry doesn't care any more?

Around here, the only non-ethanol fuels are sold in the gallon cans, at about $15-20 a gallon. Not too exciting, but what I use in my small engines.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #18
gearhead

Looks like my little municipal airport has the lowest price around. I'll get over there today and check them out.
If nothing else maybe dilute the corn oil gas that I run in the boats.
https://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

edit add: Word around here was that Gulf Oil company was going to get into isobutanol big time. I haven't seen that yet.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
gearhead

Went to the airport and found some fly boys hanging out in the office. One of them was the local A&P Mechanic. He said he wouldn't run low lead in my outboard. There would be a fair chance of carbon build up on valve guides. So I guess I'm back to square 1. I'll wait on Buccees to install a pump at their Baytown location.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #20
dcg9381

I assume he means lead build up. 100LL shouldn't cause carbon build up that I know about any more than unleaded does. And remember, aviation motors run 2000 hours (typically) before they recommend cracking them open to look at this stuff.

The only place I've ever had an issue with 100LL is in an airplane. I've had it foul spark plugs (with lead deposits). There's actually a tool for cleaning out the lead. It burns differently, so this impacts 2-stroke tuning. 4-strokes don't seem to care. Never put it in a modern car - it will trash oxygen sensors and catalytic converters almost immediately.

If you really mean "outboard" as in marine motor, I wouldn't run 100LL either - I don't want lead in our water supply.. To me, that's a major no-no.

For me, in order of preference:
* Ethanol free automotive gas (MoGas)
* 100LL aviation fuel
* Treated pump gas with ethanol

Tags
gas, generator