Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Highway Gypsy

Front Lift Jacks Slow To Raise And Overheating

I am new to the Keystone Forum Group and I have a question about my front jacks. I recently purchased a 2007 Raptor 3612DS. My trailer is 50 Amp. I have two concerns: I have searched on the forum and am unable to find the answers.

1) - I have trailer connected to 50 amp power source while trying to lift my jacks.
My front jacks are slow to lift the front of trailer for hookup and they get hot really quick and give out after lifting trailer an inch. I have to stop and let the motor cool off. It stops after lifting a half to one inch. I am able to hear the motor turning in the jack, but the jacks moves very little. This is my third fifth wheel and I've never had this problem.
2) - My batteries are old. It requires 2 batteries. The old batteries that came with in the trailer are Continental - "August 04 - Item TM-24, Cold CA-500, Marine CA-690, Reserve Capacity C-120.
I replaced these with new Traveler Item 24MS, MCA 1000, Reserve Capacity-135. I have moved it three times since I purchased it and have had the same issue each time. It takes at least 2 hours to lift trailer for hookup.

My questions are:
1) Did I replace these with correct size of batteries?
2) Does anyone have any idea why the electric jack motor is slow and overheating?

Changing out the batteries made no improvement in the performance of the jack motor. I thought the power from the 50 amp would be source of power for the jacks if connected but it seems to makes no difference.
Any help in answering my questions would certainly be appreciated.
Thank you!
Highway Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
MarkS

The ‘50 amp’ is 50 amps AC. It goes through a converter to make DC, which the pump uses. The converter frequently does not have enough power to run high power stuff like slides and landing gear.

I assume you checked hydraulic fluid level?

It could be a bad connection between the battery and the motor. Loose screws on terminals? Corroded connections?

Could be the motor/pump is worn out.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I can only add. When plugged in to 50A service, check the voltage at the batteries. If your not seeing at least 13+ VDC then your converter is not charging the batteries and they may be weak from other parasitic draws.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
ChuckS

Since yours has been around a while when is the last time you replaced hydraulic fluid with fresh. I’d recommend Mobil 1 ATF and a quart of anti stiction fluid.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Highway Gypsy

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me where the converter is located. I have searched for it but have been unable to locate it?

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Highway Gypsy

Thank you for your reply. The batteries that I purchased this week had a date stamp of 9/18 and 8/18. Is it possible that they are faulty?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Highway Gypsy

Thank you for your reply. I feel sure it has not been replaced. With the slides in the level reflects that the hydraulic oil is half way full. Should hydraulic fluid be at top level with slides in? The slides move in and out with zero complication.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Gypsy View Post
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me where the converter is located. I have searched for it but have been unable to locate it?

Thank you!

The converter is usually buried in the wall, or some dead space near the control panel. I think your Fusion is a 5th wheel, so it is probably behind a panel in the basement. Again near the control panel.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
spicercars

First of all are the front jacks electric or hydraulic?
Old 08-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
JimMach1

I agree hydraulic jacks shouldn’t be getting hot .
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
spicercars

How do we know that the front jacks are hydraulic? That's why I was asking to se if they are electric or hydraulic?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
mazboy

i suspect you have electric legs in front not hydraulic. they run on 12 volts, assuming that the batteries are charged they should go down easily. if not, get to a dealer and get them to figure it out.
i had a 5th wheel a number of years ago where the front legs would, at times, not lift the trailer, had to add another motor to the system....electric legs.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
Highway Gypsy

Very good point! Mine are electric.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #14
Highway Gypsy

Thank you Mazboy. I replaced the batteries this week and that did not help. Perhaps I installed wrong size of batteries.
The batteries that were old were Continental RV & Marine Battery Item: TM-24m CCA-500, MCA-690 RC-120. Quantity-2.
The replacements were: Traveler RV & Marine Item: TM-24S MCA-1000 Reserve Capacity 135. Quanitity -2. The difference between the two is there are no Cold Crank Amps listed on the new ones. Does that make a difference? Will the replacements work? Could that possibly be my problem? I do not know the difference.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 AM   #15
ChuckS

Since you have electric landing gear jacks have you looked at the gearbox assemblies?

I’d hook up to truck and raise gear enough to clear ground. Once no weight is on gear is it still slow retracting and extending?

If so I’d be looking at the gearbox assembly and then the motor. Gearbox first in my opinion.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #16
MarkS

Oh. In your original post you said hydraulic. Electric is different.

I looked up your trailer. 2870 lbs hitch weight. Seems like a lot for electric. Did it work before you changed batteries? Can you tell if the original owner changed it out? Maybe he put in a smaller set of landing gear?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 AM   #17
Highway Gypsy

MarkS - Thank you for asking about it. I'm obviously not a mechanic as you can see LOL. Doing the best I can to figure this gizmo out. I need to correct my original post. The original brochure titles them as "Power Front Jacks - FW".

ChuckS - Your idea is a great way to check it out. Thank you for the tip. I will do that.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Electric jacks won’t extend/retract that fast due to the gearing required to lift that much weight. In your first posts you said it took 2 hrs? If it did take that long, I would be looking at the motor.

This is assuming you have good, charged batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #19
Highway Gypsy

Thank you Chuckster57. That makes sense. I think it's time to call a rv repair guy. It's just over my head.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
HANGAR

I have a 2006 and the front jacks are electric. The stock jacks had ONE motor that connected to both jacks! Just barely rated to handle the weight. It's possible that your motor is going bad. I replaced both of my front jacks with heavier duty units and each jack has it's own motor. Made a huge difference in how fast I could raise or lower the front. Another thing you may want to check out is your converter. Mine is located inside the passenger pass-through storage area, behind a small removable wall (carpeted plywood). It's the same location you'd access the rear of the circuit breaker panel. It was mounted to the frame under the floor, not that hard to access once you remove the wall. I recently had to replace mine as it was not completely charging my batteries. I put an ammeter on the positive lead to confirm the stock 80A unit was not functioning properly. Sooo, check your motor on the jacks, check the converter, and recheck your batteries under load conditions. The only thing that uses hydraulic fluid are the two slides.
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, jacks