Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by limit4 View Post
I put 5 new Maxxis M8008 Load range E on the rig last week. $688 Mounted on the rig and balanced with new valve stems. $51 of that was taxes. Thanks to all who gave comments and advice.

No disappointments with mine.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #22
huhhhhh

I'm having a 2012 Fuzion 405 transported from Ft. Irwin CA to Colorado Springs Co approx 1000 miles on Monday. The guy I'm buying it from said he just replaced two of the original tires he found a slight bulge on. Tires are Power King Towmax ST235/80R Seems like these are referred to as Chinese Bombs. My dilemma is do I replace the other 4 with the same assuming they are past their life expectancy of 4ish years, or should I replace all 6 with something better. On that note for that size tire what is the something better.

I just started reading these tire forums and it seems that there are no trailer tires made in the US. Is that true or have I not read far enough yet. I have read some that say good year is and isn't made in the US. Kinda confusing.

Any insight would be appreciated. Things are happening pretty quick on this deal. Not much time to make a decision on what to.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #23
66joej

The Goodyear Endurance tires are made in the USA. Goodyear Marathons are made in China.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Huhhhhh,

Welcome to the forum. As you've stated, the OEM tires on the trailer are probably "at or past" their prime.... Whether they will make the 1000 mile trip is likely to be a "crap shoot" as much more than just age factors into their reliability. Previous use, tow speed, inflation, loading, storage (UV exposure) all play into the equation. So, without knowing any more than you've stated, "assuming they are past their life expectancy of 4ish years," replacing them is probably something you'll want to do, either before it's towed to you or soon after.

As for tires, Goodyear just introduced a new ST tire to the market last month. It is manufactured in the US, and it's called the "ENDURANCE ST" and since it's so new to the market, there's very little information about reliability or owner reviews. Carlisle Radial Trail HD and Maxxis are the two "most common, quality" ST tires. Carlisle seems to be about 40% cheaper for comparable sizes. Carlisle does have a load range F tire in the 16" size, so that's something you might consider if your wheels can safely carry the higher pressure (95PSI).

If you're intent on "maximizing" your tire capacity, SAILUN builds a LR G tire that many members here have found to be a very good tire with superior reliability. The only drawback is whether your wheels have the 110 PSI capacity to use those tires at their full rating.

You don't say whether you're going to be present at the beginning of the transport or not. If you are, you can do some "personal shopping" but if you're not going to be present, then you'll be relying on someone else to be making your decisions. That puts you at a potential disadvantage, one that only you will be able to determine which way you want to go with new tires now, after the trailer is delivered and which ones to buy.

Again, welcome to the forum !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Carlisle and Maxxis are probably the best choices at this time IMO. The Goodyear will prove to be a very good tire.....I hope, but we don't know that much about it. If it is just an American branded Marathon they won't be much good. And, just food for thought, Sailun is made by the same company that makes Trailer King and Power King tires................
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #26
huhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
And, just food for thought, Sailun is made by the same company that makes Trailer King and Power King tires................
I wonder how the Sailun get such good reviews and the others don't?

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #27
dcg9381

Are you sure about that? Look at the DOT code. I had TrailerKing and bought Sailun, I guarantee (at the time) that the manufacturing code - where and when they were manufactured was different.

They may very well be imported by the same company currently, but I'm pretty certain they are made in different places.

The weight difference was almost double. 35 lbs for Trailer King. 61 lbs for Sailun per tire. They are NOT the same product.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
66joej

Don't think sourdough said they were the same tire. What he eluded to was that they were both made in China.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

I didn't phrase my statement correctly earlier. Instead of being "made" by the same company, they are marketed/imported etc. by the same company; TBC Brands. Sorry for the confusion. Link below:

http://www.tbcbrands.com/
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

TBC Corporation is a tire conglomerate located in the US. They market 18 different brands of tires in North America (Canada, Mexico and the USA). Among those brands are Power King, Trailer King, Tow Max, Tow Star and Sailun. http://www.tbcbrands.com/

I don't believe that Sailun tires are "vuncanized in the same tire vulcanizing plant" as Power King or Trailer King or Tow Max, but they are all "manufactured in China and imported to the US by TBC Corporation.

Essentially, the Sailun s637 is a "heavy duty commercial" trailer tire usually marketed to commercial businesses. It is spreading into the recreational trailer market, but is a "new comer" to RV's. If you consider that the typical ST tire has polyester sidewall cords with one or two steel belts under the tread and the Sailun has all steel cords both in the sidewalls and under the tread, is a Load Range G (14 ply rating) compared to the typical polyester sidewall ST Load Range C,D or E (6, 8 or 10 ply rating) tire installed as OEM on most travel trailers, it's easy to see that the Sailun is a much heavier tire capable of increased capacity.

While it's true that both ST OEM tires and Sailun Aftermarket tires are both manufactured in China and are both imported to the US by the same company, the similarities end there. They are "two entirely different kinds of tire" and the Sailun s637 is very different from other ST tires installed on most RV's.

ADDED: sourdough, I was typing my response while you posted the same link about TBC. I wasn't intending to "step on your post", just slower with my typing...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
TBC Corporation is a tire conglomerate located in the US. They market 18 different brands of tires in North America (Canada, Mexico and the USA). Among those brands are Power King, Trailer King, Tow Max, Tow Star and Sailun. http://www.tbcbrands.com/

I don't believe that Sailun tires are "vuncanized in the same tire vulcanizing plant" as Power King or Trailer King or Tow Max, but they are all "manufactured in China and imported to the US by TBC Corporation.

Essentially, the Sailun s637 is a "heavy duty commercial" trailer tire usually marketed to commercial businesses. It is spreading into the recreational trailer market, but is a "new comer" to RV's. If you consider that the typical ST tire has polyester sidewall cords with one or two steel belts under the tread and the Sailun has all steel cords both in the sidewalls and under the tread, is a Load Range G (14 ply rating) compared to the typical polyester sidewall ST Load Range C,D or E (6, 8 or 10 ply rating) tire installed as OEM on most travel trailers, it's easy to see that the Sailun is a much heavier tire capable of increased capacity.

While it's true that both ST OEM tires and Sailun Aftermarket tires are both manufactured in China and are both imported to the US by the same company, the similarities end there. They are "two entirely different kinds of tire" and the Sailun s637 is very different from other ST tires installed on most RV's.

ADDED: sourdough, I was typing my response while you posted the same link about TBC. I wasn't intending to "step on your post", just slower with my typing...
I just thought it curious that Sailun, which seems to be a good tire, was imported/marketed by the same company as the "china bombs" thus the comment about "food for thought".
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #32
jjohnsonlta

Tire Question

This is a question on the tire subject. The neighbor down the street has a travel trailer with two axles , 24' trailer. He had the back axle replaced at dealer which also replaced the tires on that axle. When I was looking at his tires I noticed that his front axle tires were bias ply and the newly replaced tires were radial tires. Also of course tread didn't match. I mentioned the fact that your not to mix radial & bias ply. The tires I could tell didn't look the same height either. I measured and found even though they were the same size that the bias were 3/4 in taller. I told him the majority of the weight must be on the front axle. He said he has already pulled it and everything seemed fine. He won't take my advice to at least talk to a tire store. So I will try to get him to read replies from here cause I don't think I am wrong. I told him to get two more radials.
jjohnsonlta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #33
huhhhhh

Not much more he can do wrong there.

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnsonlta View Post
This is a question on the tire subject. The neighbor down the street has a travel trailer with two axles , 24' trailer. He had the back axle replaced at dealer which also replaced the tires on that axle. When I was looking at his tires I noticed that his front axle tires were bias ply and the newly replaced tires were radial tires. Also of course tread didn't match. I mentioned the fact that your not to mix radial & bias ply. The tires I could tell didn't look the same height either. I measured and found even though they were the same size that the bias were 3/4 in taller. I told him the majority of the weight must be on the front axle. He said he has already pulled it and everything seemed fine. He won't take my advice to at least talk to a tire store. So I will try to get him to read replies from here cause I don't think I am wrong. I told him to get two more radials.

Your neighbor has a problem and needs to get it fixed. He needs all tires the same; preferably replaced at the same time. Everything will seem fine until the overloaded tires let go, possibly causing thousands in damage or worse. Whoever put the tires on the trailer did him a disservice and I would take it back to them to have it rectified.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's see, we have one member whose dealer gave them a 6 volt battery to run their trailer while their 12 volt battery is "on order". We have more "sure you can tow anything on the lot with your truck" comments that are too numerous to even try to count. Just when you think "I've heard it all," along comes a new one. My guess is that the dealer just put tires he had in stock on the trailer and told your neighbor, "You're good, don't worry"....

Here's several "Don't do it" recommendations.

First, from Goodyear's RV tire maintenance guide: "Mixing tire types and sizes. When you mix tires of different constructions, sizes and depth of treadwear, it can affect handling and performance. Goodyear recommends using the same size and type of tire on the same axle – i.e., all radial ply or all bias ply, all the same size and all the same tread pattern – as well as maintaining your tires so that they all have approximately the same depth of wear."

Next, From Carlisle ST Tire Guide: "– All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer."

From ETrailer.com: "You will always want the tire size, load range, and construction, to match on your trailer. Using tires that are different can lead to more of a load being put on the smaller size tire/tires and cause tire problems to occur."

From Trailer Life Magazine: "Since bias-ply and radial tires have dramatically different construction and handling characteristics, you should never mix the two types of tires. Always choose one or the other for your trailer. Bias-ply tires are rarely found on new trailers these days."

From West Marine: "Each of your trailer’s tires should be the same type, size, and construction—do not mix bias-belted and radial tires. In selecting tires for your trailer, buy the size, type, and load range found on the trailer’s certification label or in the owner’s manual."

Now, with all these references essentially saying, "don't do it", your neighbor will probably ignore the advice and tow until he has a blowout on one of the bias ply tires that is "not flexing as much as the radials" thereby carrying more of the weight, at which time, he'll probably throw on an old car tire that he's using as a spare and keep towing until the next tire failure....

That said, some people place more priority on safe, reliable towing (including tire care/maintenance) than others, so if I were you, I'd make your neighbor aware of the potential problems and then not lose any sleep over whatever he decides to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #36
jjohnsonlta

Thank you for confirming the fact that there is a problem with his current setup. I will now let him read this post and then like you said not lose any sleep over it.

When he had the trailer to the dealer for warranty work it was because the rear axle was installed one inch further forward on one side. When towing he said the tires were smoking on the rear so that's why he took it back. He had a hell of a time getting them to fix it on them. They wanted him to pay for the repair. He had to tell them he was going to sue them before they would fix it, I told him to take it back with this new tire issue but he refuses after all the trouble he had before. Thank you FOREST RIVER.
jjohnsonlta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #37
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would make a mental note to avoid that dealer in the future. It is more the dealer that is having problems than Forest River, just to be fair. In this case, run, don't walk....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree completely with ctbruce on this one. It really sounds like Forest River paid for the replacement axle and the repair and that the dealership is "throwing junk tires leftover from something else" on the axle, probably just to get him out the door. The dealership certainly isn't taking care of their "valued customer"..... I also would vote for "finding somewhere (anywhere) else for any future service work !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
tires