Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
Mine starts the level process from where the front is set once I disconnect, for my travel trailer. So if I leave the front at the right height to disconnect I can end up with wheels off the ground. If I lower the front below the hitching point I don't seem to end up as high when completed. Just a thought.
Interesting, what system do you have? The Lippert Level Up on ours always does what they refer to as "the dip" as the first step in the auto level process; it retracts the front jacks way down (so the nose of the trailer is very low), then proceeds to extend the jacks in the low areas just enough to get everything level.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
pitman44

I think the short answer is, it depends. When you pull the camper on a site, assuming it's level side to side. You need to adjust the jacks so the camper is level. If your site slopes down back to front, then the back jacks should only be down enough to take a bit of weight and your front jacks will be more fully extended. How much extension will depend on how sloped the site is.

We carry a folding platform/step. It's about 6" high and probably 14" x 18". Some sites have enough slope that we need to use the step. Flat sites we don't need it. This is independent of rather you want/need to use blocking under the jacks. Slope is slope and you need your camper level.

So my long distance opinion is, if your lot is sloped with the front downhill and your back jacks aren't lifting excessively, what you've got is what you're going to have. Camper has to be level. That said if your jacks are extended too much to make the camper level, you probably should put some blocks under the jacks.

BTW, I think you mentioned the back step is 16" up and the front 20" up so that's 4" of slope in however many feet it is between the two doors. Fairly steep I'd say. From the pictures it's hard to tell how much the back jacks are lifting your camper. I'd put some more blocking under the front. It looks like they're quite extended. Raise the backs off the ground and the level the camper with just the front jacks. See how your backs steps look then. I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. We don't have a self leveling 38' 5th wheel. I always raise the front jacks. How else do I get it off the truck? It will make some creaks and groans, but that's normal.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
Interesting, what system do you have? The Lippert Level Up on ours always does what they refer to as "the dip" as the first step in the auto level process; it retracts the front jacks way down (so the nose of the trailer is very low), then proceeds to extend the jacks in the low areas just enough to get everything level.
One of the Lippert ground control systems, I forget exactly which one. Right now it will not auto retract so maybe my lack of the "dip" is part of the overall issue.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led