Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
mpsport

backup camera prep?

hello, just pick up 2017 Cougar 1/2 24SABWE. on the top of back panel has a sticker says "backup camera prep" what does it mean? thank you.
mpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It probably means that there's a wire in that "general vicinity" to provide 12 VDC to power a back up camera and there "may be" a plate behind the fiberglass to mount the camera. Otherwise, there's probably nothing else "prepped" for the camera. Most rear view cameras that are "factory installed" in Keystone units tend to be "wireless technology" so don't expect to find co-ax and video cable run from that location up to the trailer pinbox/A-frame.

It's the same concept as "wired for a second air conditioner". The Romex is there, to provide electrical power, and the roof vent is braced for the extra weight, in the "general vicinity" where you'd normally install the second unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
mpsport

Oh ok, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
RVNoob

Camera prep means it is ready for the camera. I just installed mine and got a Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL and when I pulled the cover plate off where the camera goes it has the hook up cable inside. Simple plug and play. The previous rely is correct is for wireless with no other cables in there. I was able to have it installed and working in 15 minutes.
RVNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
TomD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNoob View Post
Camera prep means it is ready for the camera. I just installed mine and got a Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL and when I pulled the cover plate off where the camera goes it has the hook up cable inside. Simple plug and play. The previous rely is correct is for wireless with no other cables in there. I was able to have it installed and working in 15 minutes.
I just installed mine today and looked on the converter panel for a switch of some sort as stated in the Furrion manual. No switch there I hope when I back the truck up and connect the power the camera will work as advertised.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
RVNoob

Camera

Just got back from testing mine. It did not work until it was hooked to the vehicle. For me there was no need to look at the inverter panel. I think at least for mine it is designed to only work when it is plugged in to not drain battery power by leaving it on. I also have it plugged into my house so it would be good to know if it does stay on but I don'/t think so. LOVE the camera...so helpful.
RVNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD1 View Post
I just installed mine today and looked on the converter panel for a switch of some sort as stated in the Furrion manual. No switch there I hope when I back the truck up and connect the power the camera will work as advertised.
I’ve never taken the time to read the manual. Most likely you will have to turn the running lights on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
TomD1

Hooked up the TV this morning and it works as advertised. Good picture out of the box. I know I will be happy with it.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
RoscoeV

I have a 26SABWE and installed the Furrion camera, I love it. It works great and no issues with signal drop out. Just gotta remember to have the TV running lights on.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
chay1950

From what I have heard, most pre-wiring is for a wireless Furrion. The power wire that they use is a smaller jack than other camera manufacturers. So if you go with a different brand, get the pigtail needed for the power cable.
The power cable is connected to the trailer running lights. The trailer needs to be connected to the TV and the headlights turned on to get any power to the camera.
chay1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Retired Copper

Thumbs up

Installed the Furrion on mine; was quick and simple, plug and play. Test run was good and stayed at 4 bars. The only things is the screen is the size of a Garmin Nuvi and the mounting bracket is not very good. Get the observation/backup camera
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
terryzilla

I bought a Keystone Cougar (17) with a sticker saying 'Backup Camera Prep'. I think some trailers have the camera housing already attached. Mine does not. I assume there is a power cable somewhere near the top running light. So if I going to start drilling holes in the trailer skin where should I do it. I don't any info from Keystone on this. I really don't want to poke holes unless I know exactly where to do it. Can anyone help on this?
terryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
chay1950

I wouldn't go punching holes in your trailer. Or mine for that matter. I have a 2018 Springdale Summerland that came with a camera mounting at the top center of the back of the trailer. I have seen them much lower on other trailers. All it is, is a Furion camera mount with a power cable. This cable is tied into the trailer lights. This is so the camera turns off. I would check the wiring on the center running light and then go out from there. Either right or left. It's a 50-50 guess if it's not tied into the center light.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
chay1950

This is a picture of a Keystone Cougar (17) 26RLS with a camera. Most Cougar pictures didn't show a camera. Do a google search for Keystone Cougar (17) and you'll get a lot of different pictures.