Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
johnsi

Alpine Waterworks Area Question

I'm getting ready to winterize my 2012 Alpine 3450RL and on the right hand side of the waterworks compartment there is a winterize valve (not hot water heater bypass) that I have no idea what it does.

Also on the same side of the compartment is an unlabeled hose connection which I'd like to know its purpose.

Neither of these were used for normal camping but now that it's time to winterize, I need to find out what they do.

My guess is that most newer Montana's have the same setup, so maybe a Montana owner could help here.

Keystone's generic manual is useless when it comes to model specifics. My Winnebago Class A had a much better manual.
johnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
geo

Johnsi -

I posted a very lengthy, detailed description on this very subject about the Alpine about two years ago. Either I'll find it and edit this post to put in the link, or go to Community / Member List and find "geo", then on Statistics, click on Threads Started By, and you will find it. That's how I'll find it.

Ron

Memory does not serve me well. I think what I referenced about was in an email I sent to a member. However, here's all you will probably need :

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3870

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
johnsi

Could not your detailed response.

Geo,

Thanks for your reply. However, I could not find what I'm looking for in your posts or threads.

I've looked at the Keystone video on winterizing but it does not help. I've winterized both Class A and Trailer RV's but I've only had to deal with a water heater by-pass valve.

It appears the Winterize Valve has something to do with the water pump.

The missing label on the hose connection above the Winterize and Water Heater Valves is still a mystery.

BTW, I looked at your profile and noticed you were a Unix system admin. Prior to my retirement, I worked with some Unix based systems back in the late 80s and early 90s. These days I'm mainly a Windows user but do mess around with Linux some.

Thanks again,

John
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
geo

John - The Winterize valve bypasses the fresh water input to the pump and diverts it to the hose connection you mention within the Waterworks. Basically one is using the pump to distribute the antifreeze through the system. However, it does not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and the long line that runs from that tank back to the pump behind the Waterworks. You basically need to run the pump until the "tank is dry", and then you will still have some water left in the tank and the supply line, but hopefully not enough to damage either. Honestly, I don't really like this system over all.

Note, the labels within the Waterworks area on this valve and on the Hot Water Bypass valves are probably marked "Off" and "On" incorrrectly. And that missing label for the hose connection is the connection for putting in a feed hose for the pink antifreeze.

Oh, don't forget to push some antifreeze down the black water rinse line and vacuum breaker!

Yup, I'm still the Linux/Solaris dinosaur, along with my geophysical and cartographic/GIS duties. But only for a couple of of more years!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
gwperkins

Another 3450RL Question ...

We are about to take delivery of our new (to us) 2012 Alpine 3450RL and have a question ...

I believe you state that the unlabeled hose connection on the right wall of the water compartment is " ... is the connection for putting in a feed hose for the pink antifreeze. ". Is this the case since the dealer told me that it was "likely" a gray tank flush out?

gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
frankyb01

I have a 2011 3450RL and the unlabeled hose connection on the right wall of the compartment is for a feed line for the pink anti-freeze. Unless they changed something for the 2012 model year there is no flush connection for the gray water tanks, only the black water tank, which should be labeled and next to the city water connection. Took me a while to figure out the unlabeled connection. Finally, I just went ahead and removed the panel from the rear of the storage area so I could get back behind the water panel and physically trace the water lines. It's bad enough we get a useless manual with these units, considering the price, but it never ceases to amaze me that so many sales people don't even have knowledge of the products they are pushing.
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
gwperkins

Smile No Joke on the Owners Manual(??) ...

Thanks for confirming what I understoood rather than the service technician's guess!
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
tdawg

so let me ask this. i have a 2013 alpine 3535 the freshwater tank is run empty and hope fully line from tank to pump is dry does anyone put some rv antifreeze in fresh water tank to pump into line with water heater bypassed of course. this is my 3 rd camper and have never done this i always just used connection in water works area to draw in with pump and run through lines. would it be good insurance that the line would not freeze.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
johnsi

More Questions on Winterize Valve and Unmarked Hose Connection

OK. I do this once a year and thought things worked as noted in this thread for the unmarked hose connection. So I jury rig a short hose (approximately 12" in length) to the connection and insert the other end into the pink antifreeze bottle. I switch the Winterize valve to ON and turn on the pump. I thought that the antifreeze would be sucked out of the bottle but that does not happen.

Before doing the above, I ran the fresh water pump until all the water was out of the fresh water tank and then blew the water lines out with compressed air. I suspect that's all I need to do but I thought putting antifreeze through the pump would be an extra level of insurance.

Do I need to somehow prime the line to get it to work?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
LZScout

Mine works as you described. Others have mentioned that the supply hose you use is an issue and suggest using the disconnected coiled outside shower hose between the fill station connection and the antifreeze bottle.

Sent from my iPhone

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsi View Post
OK. I do this once a year and thought things worked as noted in this thread for the unmarked hose connection. So I jury rig a short hose (approximately 12" in length) to the connection and insert the other end into the pink antifreeze bottle. I switch the Winterize valve to ON and turn on the pump. I thought that the antifreeze would be sucked out of the bottle but that does not happen.

Before doing the above, I ran the fresh water pump until all the water was out of the fresh water tank and then blew the water lines out with compressed air. I suspect that's all I need to do but I thought putting antifreeze through the pump would be an extra level of insurance.

Do I need to somehow prime the line to get it to work?
open a faucet? and was freshwater tank fill selector off? I have different model trailer but that's what I use, a short freshwater hose that I cut in half (use one half for when winterize and other half for when I fill freshwater via gravity fill)

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Terry W.

I just winterized our 2012 Avalanche 330RE. Took anoide rod out drained water heater. Turned WH pass valve to ON. Blew 35psi air thru all lines including outside hose and black tank flush. Then turn winterize valve to on, attached a short hose to unlabled hose connection, place end in antifreeze bottle turn on water pump and run thru all lines. Done about 30 min time.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
ctpd814

I had trouble with mine not drawing also. There is a check valve where the hose hooks in. I think the pump has trouble opening the check valve when there is no fluid in the system. I placed a hose filter washer with the point facing in in the inlet then attached the hose. This held the check valve opened and when I turned the pump on it began working as it should. I then removed the hose filter washer when I was done so the check valve would close.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, montana, waterworks, winterize