Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
adVentureMan

Free-standing dining chairs and DSI Tank?

Getting a new Cougar 327RES and got some questions:

1. How are people securing their free-standing dining room chairs while on the road? I've RV'ed a lot but always had a dinette. My guess is to take some soft rope and use it to secure the chair legs to the pedestal table, but seems like there would still be a lot o movement resulting in rub marks on the table and chair and possibly the chair backs hitting our day/night curtains?

2. In our Cougar, we have a "DSI" Suburban gas hot water tank. On our control panel there is a button to "turn on(off) DSI HWT". Turning it on or off is no problem, but I cannot figure out if there is anyway to have the HWT powered by ONLY electricity, or ONLY gas. It sounds like the gas is being used.....and since I've already paid for electricity in our typical campground, I'd much prefer using that, not the expensive LP.

Thanks for any help!
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adVentureMan View Post
Getting a new Cougar 327RES and got some questions:

1. How are people securing their free-standing dining room chairs while on the road? I've RV'ed a lot but always had a dinette. My guess is to take some soft rope and use it to secure the chair legs to the pedestal table, but seems like there would still be a lot o movement resulting in rub marks on the table and chair and possibly the chair backs hitting our day/night curtains?

2. In our Cougar, we have a "DSI" Suburban gas hot water tank. On our control panel there is a button to "turn on(off) DSI HWT". Turning it on or off is no problem, but I cannot figure out if there is anyway to have the HWT powered by ONLY electricity, or ONLY gas. It sounds like the gas is being used.....and since I've already paid for electricity in our typical campground, I'd much prefer using that, not the expensive LP.

Thanks for any help!
#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine. I would imagine from the factory they would supply some sort of strap to hold them down ....... my swivel rockers came with these and we never use them.

#2 The electric element can be turned on in the outside W/H compartment. On the lower left hand corner of the heater is a small black switch that should have a safety pin through it. If the tank is full turn it on and then turn on the circuit breaker in the power panel. Be sure if you empty the W/H that this switch is off or the element will be ruined..
We use both gas and electric for showers and just electric the rest of the time.

Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
jerseyphil

My unit came with a strap to go around the legs of all 4 chairs. I worried about the backs of the chairs hitting each other, so I put a towel in between.

Regarding the water heater, I agree with Hankpage. If more than 1 person will shower, i switch on the gas, otherwise I use electric only when connected to shore power.

Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
66ken

I removed the screws holding the table to the floor. When traveling, I lay it on its top and tie the chair legs to the pedestal.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
mike9661

66KEN Do you screw it back each time or leave the screws out. I think when it is screwed down there is not a whole lot of room to sit.

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
66ken

I leave the screws out. Much easier to sit around if you can move it some.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
dakingsella

On my 2012 327RES, I have removed the screws securing the table, it was impossible to use it otherwise. I leave the table and chairs unsecured when traveling and have never had any damage. They seem to be sitting where I put them at the end of the trip. I think the shag carpet holds them pretty steady.

Happy Camping!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
jbsmith

The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well.

Be sure you have the dealer show you how the table slides back and forth on the pedestal base. Also, that footrest under the J couch has fold out legs to convert it to an ottoman and coffee table.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
blackty

Ya know, that table is always the first thing I show everyone when they come into the camper. Pretty cool...Jim
Old 10-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine. I would imagine from the factory they would supply some sort of strap to hold them down ....... my swivel rockers came with these and we never use them.

#2 The electric element can be turned on in the outside W/H compartment. On the lower left hand corner of the heater is a small black switch that should have a safety pin through it. If the tank is full turn it on and then turn on the circuit breaker in the power panel. Be sure if you empty the W/H that this switch is off or the element will be ruined..
We use both gas and electric for showers and just electric the rest of the time.

Hope this helps, Hank
Thanks. I had forgotten about that switch outside, but discovered it yesterday while I was poking around. The FW I traded had a switch to turn on the electric to the heater, with another switch to turn on the DSI (gas) to the heater. Both were inside, and convenient. What the Cougar has is what our first FW (A Wildcat 27RL) had.....not as convenient, but I will get used to turning the elec switch off when we break camp, then on again when we set up camp. I find that as easy as popping the circuit breaker inside, but I do see a benefit to using the CB to control the elec to the WH.....especially if it's raining outside! Of course, we could always use the gas which is easily switched on inside.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
adVentureMan

Quote:
#1 I converted to a free standing dinette and don't secure the chairs and they ride fine.......
Really? The chairs are not secured yet they don't move when you're on the road? I can't imagine!

For our first towing of about 30 miles, I used a soft rope to tie one leg of each chair (leg closest to the pedestal on the table) to the pedestal. Then another soft-tie at the top of each chair "pair" to secure the pair on each side of the table. That seemed okay for 30 miles, but I am concerned the chairs will rub against the table pedestal and each other and make worn spots. My main concern, however, is any damage they will make hitting the window shades and valances....that would be more difficult to repair. There is NO way to secure the chairs from Keystone, at least there are no tie down points, etc. They did include an extra strap, identical to what the recliners use, but that is worthless for the four dinning room chairs! I really, really wanted a dinette (i.e., no free standing table and four chairs), but we never saw one FW that had one! We sure miss the wonderful storage that we had under the dinette bench seats!

Need Checklists?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well.

Be sure you have the dealer show you how the table slides back and forth on the pedestal base. Also, that footrest under the J couch has fold out legs to convert it to an ottoman and coffee table.
My salesman didn't even know about the sliding top of the dinette table! My wife found a reference to it in the Cougar Brochure, otherwise we'd not know it was there! I wonder if they folks complaining about no room around the table don't know about the sliding table top, or if this is a new feature of the table? If the top did not slide, the dining room table would be unuseable, at least for my belly!

I really cannot imagine not securing the four dinning room chairs, but many here apparently do not, and have no problems. I am very concerned about the chairs bouncing around and doing damage to the windows in the dinette area. I've only towed 30 whole miles, so I will probably experiment with diffrent methods of securing the four chairs.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Ayotte

we have ajustable straps and rings on the floor. Hook into rings and go over the seats of two chairs and snug up. Also move rocker in front of one by door and tie the two of them together. Didn't do this once and when we opened the door found the chair tiped upside down.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adVentureMan View Post
Really? The chairs are not secured yet they don't move when you're on the road? I can't imagine!
Like I said , we don't secure the chairs. We only have two chairs and in 2500 mi. they haven't gone anywhere. (And if you listen to the DW I drive it like I stole it) We do however store our breakable appliances in that area while traveling. (toaster-oven, coffee-maker, sewing machine ... you get the idea) so there really is not much room for the chairs to stretch their legs.(pun intended) I don't know how the factory tables are set up but if I were concerned about the chairs causing damage I would try to lay them down somehow or bungee them together with a pillow in between. Bungees or Velcro don't loosen like straps and rope. As for securing them a Footmans loop (AKA webbing guide) like they supply for the rockers attached to the floor with SHORT screws would barely be noticeable.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
rhagfo

So I leave the outside switch on all the time, use the CB, I also set the T-stat for gas a bit lower than electric, that way I get a gas boost when really cold.

As for the chairs we don't strap them down, drive some ugly roads don't seem to have any issues always were we left them.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
we have ajustable straps and rings on the floor. Hook into rings and go over the seats of two chairs and snug up. Also move rocker in front of one by door and tie the two of them together. Didn't do this once and when we opened the door found the chair tiped upside down.
Ah HA! I bet that's how the dining room chairs are supposed to be secured, but sounds like most of our FWs do not have the D rings. I have none around the dining room table, but I do have two sets on the deck below the recliners. I will add a two sets of D rings to secure the two pair of dining room chairs when I get the time. Thanks for posting.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
adVentureMan

Quote:
Like I said , we don't secure the chairs. We only have two chairs and in 2500 mi. they haven't gone anywhere. (And if you listen to the DW I drive it like I stole it) We do however store our breakable appliances in that area while traveling. (toaster-oven, coffee-maker, sewing machine ... you get the idea) so there really is not much room for the chairs to stretch their legs.(pun intended) I don't know how the factory tables are set up but if I were concerned about the chairs causing damage I would try to lay them down somehow or bungee them together with a pillow in between. Bungees or Velcro don't loosen like straps and rope. As for securing them a Footmans loop (AKA webbing guide) like they supply for the rockers attached to the floor with SHORT screws would barely be noticeable.
Good ideas, Hank. And storing all that stuff around the chairs probably keeps them from moving around much as you say. We will do that when we head back home in another 3 weeks or so. I probably won't install the D rings as I mentioned in another post for awhile.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #18
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So I leave the outside switch on all the time, use the CB, I also set the T-stat for gas a bit lower than electric, that way I get a gas boost when really cold.

As for the chairs we don't strap them down, drive some ugly roads don't seem to have any issues always were we left them.
Either of our techiques will prevent frying the elec element in the hot water heater! I like the idea about the T-stat............

Need Checklists?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
The free standing dinette should include a nylon strap with a plastic snap. We just wrap the strap around the bottom of the chairs and table. We get no significant movement of the table/chairs. I often just spin the two recliners back to back and they ride nicely as well..
exactly what we do with the table and recliners.

Some have indicated that the free standing dinette seems "tight"... It's only me and my wife, so we left two dinette chairs in the house. Much better space for us to eat.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Brantlaker

Chairs

At first my wife and I secured them with the tie down belt supplied then we forgot one day and drive 300 miles unsecured one chair moved and was hitting the countertop we put a towel in between and never secured them again. from Chicago,IL to Lake George,NY no movement only that one chair.Since then I have put a 12in piece of foam pipe insulation split length wise on the chair back.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote