Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Nick & Gia's Trailer

looking for h/w bypass

Need some help please. I have been trying to find the hot water bypass on my Cougar Xlite 29RBS. Went in the basement and found the water. Looked from the outside and see the hot water heater exhaust. When I go inside I cannot find any access panel for h/w. Looks like the h/w is located under the shower where I have no access.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
hankaye

Nick & Gia's Trailer, Howdy;

Had to do a search to find a trailer like your's.
Hopefully, it's the same year (2012), looks as
if you may have to remove the rear wall of the
basement on the driver's side to access the hot
water heater. That's if your outside access door
is just in front of the livingroom slide as shown here;

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/1...ite-29RBS.aspx

scroll thru pix to see better.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Thanks Hankaye, I have removed the panelin the basement where I located the water pump. I will have to look again as these old eyes may not be seeing what I am looking for.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & Gia's Trailer View Post
Need some help please. I have been trying to find the hot water bypass on my Cougar Xlite 29RBS. Went in the basement and found the water. Looked from the outside and see the hot water heater exhaust. When I go inside I cannot find any access panel for h/w. Looks like the h/w is located under the shower where I have no access.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Ayotte

I have a 2012 cougar xlite 26sab and from the previous pictures I would say your hot water heater is in the same location as mine. Open drivers side basement door and at rear of door you should be able to remove a wooden panel (4 screws) Then you should be able to see the hotwater heater. Bypass valve at back, bottom, of heater. I got tired of removing screws so I cut a round hole in the panel to reach through to turn it. Put it on a little hindge so I could close it off.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
hankaye

Nick & Gia's Trailer, Howdy;

Please let us know what you do or don't find...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
openroad

Hi to Nick and Gia. We have the exact same model from the 2013 model year. The previous posts ring true to our experience with our unit. When the time came to winterize, I removed the back panel in the basement storage to expose the rear of the water heater and also located the water pump. The w/h does have one valve to isolate the cold input side of the w/h but the water pump in my unit did not have a syphon tube for drawing in antifreeze (0therwise known as a winterization kit) I had to have my storage facility staff install one. We love the coach but must say I was very disappointed such a useful and inexpensive feature was not included with a coach at this price point. Our previous travel trailer was an "entry level " model from some other brand and it did include one in a very convenient location so I always did the job myself every season. In this case, since it was already in storage a considerable distance from home and since the NE climate is fast cooling down (the trailer has already experienced an evening chill of 29 F degrees), I had few options but to pay $225 to have one installed and have it winterized, as well. Keystone, please take note.
Best of luck with yours and I hope this has helped in some way.

Jim
Jim, DW, DD6, DD4, 2013 Keystone Cougar Xlite FW 29RBS, 2011 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 LT, 4X4 Z-71 Crew, 6.0 liter, 6 speed Allison, 3.73 axle, Pull-Rite SuperGlide 4100 Hitch, Honda U2000i, Dualiner bed liner, Tonnopro cover.
openroad is offline   Reply With Quote