Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
WELLSweR

Surge Protector

We are thinking of purchasing a portable surge protector for new Montana, as per conversation with Keystone the permanent voids warranty since it is an alteration. Can the 50amp protector be used with 30amp service with an adapter? or do you need both? What is a good recommended brand? Thanks
WELLSweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure how old your RV is but Keystone's warranty is only for 1 year. Once that runs out, you can upgrade, modify or remove items from it as you see fit. If it is a new unit with several months left on the warranty, you might want to purchase a lower-cost portable and then when your year is up, install a better permanent one. These types offer several advantages over the portable types - they usually have more "features and safeguards" and not likely to be stolen!
I know I haven't really answered your question but just throwing out another option for you to consider.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
msp2jxr

I would wait for your warranty to run and out and install a permenant surge protector. I am basically lazy at heart and the less to put up and take down and not think about the happier I seem. IMHO
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
webslave

Yes, you can plug a portable 50 amp protector, using a 50 to 30 adapter, into a 30 amp RV receptacle if there isn't a 50 amp available...you don't need two portables. It works the same as if you had a hardwired (permanent) unit installed. The adapter will spread the 30 amps across both hot legs of the 50 amp plug whether that happens outside at a portable device or inside at a hardwired device, the effect is the same.

Personally, I prefer the outside (portable) devices. The units themselves tend to make some noise (has to do with the high current solenoids) and depending on where you install a hardwired unit, that sound can reverberate in an enclosed area. In the years I've been using the portable type, I've never had one stolen. I have a length of welded link chain and a padlock that the cord and chain links fit into the hasp for locking it to the pedestal; you would have to unplug the unit and then saw at it for a while to get through that 4 conductor cable and then you would have to get a new plug to put on it for it to be usable; more work for the thief than it would be worth on a "black market", if there is such a thing for a limited use device... To be honest, though, most of the time I don't even bother to lock it to the pedestal. I suppose it would depend on where you were camped as to how "secure" you feel, but, I think that theft is actually a small percentage compared to the number out there.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
DaleB

Don't leave home without a surge protector. Here is my story. Last year I went to Florida over the Winter and stayed at 4 different campsites and had no problems. When I got to Jensen Beach Fl I stayed at a gated expensive condo/rv park.Within an hour of hooking up the 50 amp service my converter cauge fire and also shorted out both Tv sets. I did not have surge protection. But I do now. I installed myself (quite easy) a Progressive 50 amp with remote. It works very well and Tweetys has them for about $350. It works perfect and I do not worry anymore.
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
jbsmith

Have you talked to your local Keystone dealer to determine whether the installation by the dealer voids the warranty? You might be taking the warranty a bit too literally. As long as the surge suppressor doesn't cause the failure of a warrantied item, it doesn't make sense that it would affect the warranty on another, unrelated component.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
DaleB

When I had the power surge at the Park in Florida (as I mentioned in my previous post) my Couger was only 4 Months old and Icalled a dealer in West Palm Beach FL and he put in a new Converter under Warrenty. He suggested I get a surge protector so the problem doesn't happen again. When I got back Home in Michigan the first thing I did was order one from Tweedy's and install it. Now I did not even think about the warrenty at the time and only now as I am reading the post here on the forum amthinking that voiding the warrenty did not even cross my mind. I must say I was a little reluctent at first cutting the two #2 cables so I could put the Amp probes around the cables coming in thru the wall and inside the table between the two chairs but it was really pretty simple. As far as the warrenty goes I would not think so especially if you follow directions. I can't see how you could wire it up wrong the directions are perfectly clear. This is made in the USA. even the directions !
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

jb smith -
One would think that the warranty would not become void simply by installing a surge protector. After reading my Keystone warranty, I am not so sure, however. The warranty exlusions reads, in part, "euipment, products, components, appliances, or accessories not manufactured by Keystone whether or not warranted, including but limited to tires, batteries, washer, dryer, and other installed equipment or accessories".
Could Keystone have an out by saying that an owner-installed surge suppressor is "equipment....... accessories" and therefore your warranty is now void should something happen?
Further on it also states, "Damage or loss caused in whole or in part cause by ..........improper customer or dealer installation". Again, Keystone could come back and possibly say that "owner x" didn't install the suppressor properly.

There is some risk involved in making modifications to your RV within that 1 year warranty period and it might be worthwhile as you pointed out to get it checked out and approved by Keystone first before proceeding. The dealer may say its OK but he isn't the one who will approve or disapprove any repairs needed that could be a result of some modification carried out by the owner in the warranty period.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
jbsmith

Not sure how well that would hold up in court under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...but in any case, the meager coverage only lasts a year. I'll take my chances. After 2 months, I'm still waiting on Keystone to get back to my dealer about an obvious manufacturer defect, splinters poking into the rubber roof just behind the cap.

I might be wrong, but I'm also thinking most of those exclusions in the warranty mean that Keystone won't cover items installed in the trailer that they don't actually produce...so the item has to be covered under the warranty of the part/component manufacturer, e.g. microwave goes out, it goes back to Dometic, Advent, etc. Keystone probably administers the warranty repair for the first year and negotiates a settlement through the OEM of the failed component. After that year, you have to deal with the OEM, e.g. Dometic, etc. either directly or most often through your dealer. Might look into this a little deeper.

Unless a problem is so severe that the trailer has to go back to Keystone, I'm betting that "most" dealers won't go looking for a way to wiggle out of the warranty work...they get paid either way. Now...let's say you blow the power convertor or burn up the control board in the refrigerator and it's later determined that it was due to a faulty surge protector, generator, etc...that's a different story. That's the "in whole or in part" exclusion.

B&W Companion
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
albertr

Surge Protector

We have a surge protector in our 2011 Avalanche 290RL. We bought this RV
a year ago and are not the original owner. The protector was installed by the dealer when new. We noticed that the thing made 'chattering' noises when we first plugged in and at certain times when it was doing its job. Researched a bit and found that it was installed in wrong position. Should be installed in any other position than what it was. Repositioned it and no more chattering.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
We have a surge protector in our 2011 Avalanche 290RL. We bought this RV
a year ago and are not the original owner. The protector was installed by the dealer when new. We noticed that the thing made 'chattering' noises when we first plugged in and at certain times when it was doing its job. Researched a bit and found that it was installed in wrong position. Should be installed in any other position than what it was. Repositioned it and no more chattering.
Albert, Did you mean the wiring was installed in the wrong position and you rewired it? Or did you mean that it was physically installed upside down, etc and you turned it over or around?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
albertr

Surge Protector

It was physically installed in the wrong position. It gas 4 tabs for fastening it in place. The easiest position is to screw to the horizontal position (on the floor shall we say) but this is the wrong position. Can be mounted on vertical wall or upside down but not on floor. I installed mine on a vertical wall.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
It was physically installed in the wrong position.
Different hard wired units from TRC have different mounting requirements. Our 50 amp TRC 40240 can be mounted in any orientation except with the cover pointed down. The 50 amp TRC 34560 and 30 amp TRC 34520 can't be mounted with the cover facing up. Instructions for each of these units are available on the TRC website.

B&W Companion